Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi SUV?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-04, 08:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts
Default Audi SUV?

I guess this is the new Audi SUV?

Caught this from here:

http://ajcautoshow.com/www2/index.html
Old 12-30-04, 08:38 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

I remeber seeing that somewhere else on the web a long time ago, I think it's a bastard Lincoln concept. You can barely make out the Lincoln insignia on the chunky rear flank...Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: Yeah, it's the Lincoln Aviator Concept. *shrug*
Old 12-30-04, 09:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

My strong opinion here, guys (and you can correct me if you think I'm wrong), is that since Audi already builds the All-Road AWD wagon that competes directly in size and price with the Volvo XC-70, this vehicle was obviously designed to compete directly with the Volvo XC-90.
Old 12-30-04, 12:30 PM
LexFather

That is not it. I don't think. It will be called the Q7 and be Cayenne/Tourag based.

Old 12-30-04, 12:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
That is not it. I don't think. It will be called the Q7 and be Cayenne/Tourag based.
So you don't think, then, that it is aimed directly at the XC-90? That, to me, would have been a no-brainer.

If it indeed just another version of the Cayenne / Touraeg, then it will probably cost more than the XC-90........especially if there is a Turbo version.
Old 12-30-04, 12:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by genearch

Thanks genearch. Thats it.

Old 12-30-04, 01:20 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not really feeling this one from Audi.
Old 12-30-04, 01:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Richie
I'm not really feeling this one from Audi.
Well, Richie, you commented on the Subaru BX-9's Alfa-like grille. These new Audi grilles, IMO, are ludicrous.
Old 12-30-04, 01:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Ah yes, what I posted I learned is the Lincoln Aviator concept.

That Audi Genearch posted - that is one hurlmobile.
Old 12-30-04, 01:52 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, Richie, you commented on the Subaru BX-9's Alfa-like grille. These new Audi grilles, IMO, are ludicrous.
Hahaha, I think audi thinks size matters.
Old 12-30-04, 01:57 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought they were doing away with the Aviator. If true, I think it'd be a mistake, as small(er) SUVs still have a needed place in the market. If they did away with the Navi and Cadillac with the Escalade, well, I'd die a happy man.

Audi needs an SUV, glad to see them bringing one to the market, much as I dislike them.

mmarshall, they're ditching the allroad. I'd imagine this new SUV is to combat the Touareg, XC90, M-class, X5, MDX, 9-7x, etc.
Old 12-30-04, 02:22 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

There was a magazine article with a prototype Audi SUV (I remember it being mint green with off whtie interior) I wish I could remember the concept name. It looked similar to the model genearch posted, only more muscular, it was beautiful.
Old 12-30-04, 02:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Incendiary
I thought they were doing away with the Aviator. If true, I think it'd be a mistake, as small(er) SUVs still have a needed place in the market. If they did away with the Navi and Cadillac with the Escalade, well, I'd die a happy man.

Audi needs an SUV, glad to see them bringing one to the market, much as I dislike them.

mmarshall, they're ditching the allroad. I'd imagine this new SUV is to combat the Touareg, XC90, M-class, X5, MDX, 9-7x, etc.
Yeah...the Lincoln rep told me Monday that the Aviator was going....poor sales. I agree, though, that dropping it is not just the solution. It didn't sell because it was priced too close to the Navigator, with the same looks as the Navigator but considerably smaller. Lincoln should, instead of axing it, just drop the price instead about $5000....it would do much better.

( Incidentally, the same mistake was made ten years ago, in the mid-1990's when the then-$40,000 twin-turbo Japanese high-performance sports cars like the Supra, RX-7, 300ZX, and 3000GT VR4 sales dried up in part due to overpricing. The prices SHOULD also have been dropped on THOSE cars, but the manufacturers foolishly chose to drop them from the American market instead). The rest is history.

Didn't hear anything about dropping the All-Road, but I'll take your word for it.

I disagree, however, that this new Audi is going to compete with the 9-7X. The others you mention....yes, they, like the Audi, are car-based. The 9-7X, though, being a truck-based rebadged Trail Blazer, is a completely different vehicle from all of the others. You saw it yourself the other night.
Old 12-30-04, 02:47 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
There was a magazine article with a prototype Audi SUV (I remember it being mint green with off whtie interior) I wish I could remember the concept name. It looked similar to the model genearch posted, only more muscular, it was beautiful.
I think the Audi version of the Touareg/Cayenne was known as the Pikes Peak concept.
Old 12-30-04, 02:51 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yeah...the Lincoln rep told me Monday that the Aviator was going....poor sales. I agree, though, that dropping it is not just the solution. It didn't sell because it was priced too close to the Navigator, with the same looks as the Navigator but considerably smaller. Lincoln should, instead of axing it, just drop the price instead about $5000....it would do much better.

( Incidentally, the same mistake was made ten years ago, in the mid-1990's when the then-$40,000 twin-turbo Japanese high-performance sports cars like the Supra, RX-7, 300ZX, and 3000GT VR4 sales dried up in part due to overpricing. The prices SHOULD also have been dropped on THOSE cars, but the manufacturers foolishly chose to drop them from the American market instead). The rest is history.

Didn't hear anything about dropping the All-Road, but I'll take your word for it.

I disagree, however, that this new Audi is going to compete with the 9-7X. The others you mention....yes, they, like the Audi, are car-based. The 9-7X, though, being a truck-based rebadged Trail Blazer, is a completely different vehicle from all of the others. You saw it yourself the other night.
I think people who shop for SUVs tend to shop more based on size than on car or truck-based frames.

allroad is gone after this year. If I can find reference to the fact, I'll post.

Quick Reply: Audi SUV?