Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mini Cooper John Works convertible now available.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-04, 05:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Mini Cooper John Works convertible now available.

A couple of nights ago I posted that a John Works Mini convertible was uncertain. One of the more interesting pieces of auto news I got today at the D.C Auto Show is that the 207 HP John Works package is now available for both the hatchback AND convertible. First you buy either a hatchback or convertible Cooper S, then the $7000 John Works package is added at the dealerships. It gives a revised wheel, tire, and suspension package, bumps the HP to 207, adds individual twin driving lights to the grille, moves the speedometer to the steering wheel column with the tach, fills the center of the dash where the speedo formerly was with other engine gauges, and chrome-plates more of the interior and dash. It really adds not only more go but a lot of show with it, too. Now the good news.....ALL of this comes with a full factory Mini / BMW warranty, too.
Of course, by the time you buy all this stuff, you're talking around 30K total (or more).....a lot to pay or a car this size.
Old 01-01-05, 08:50 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

That's nutty. No way would I choose this car over a Miata. Hell, at that price, you're talking G35 or S2000.

If I had two more hands, I'd give it four thumbs down.
Old 01-01-05, 10:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I agree that it wouldn't be my first choice either. For one thing, the ride is way too stiff for my tastes. (So is the Miata's that you menton). But...you have to remember that this car has got a cult-like core of really dedicated followers. There are people who practically worship it. I posted this primarily for them....and anyone else interested in the car. For THEM.....it's four thumbs UP

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-01-05 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-01-05, 12:02 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A couple of nights ago I posted that a John Works Mini convertible was uncertain. One of the more interesting pieces of auto news I got today at the D.C Auto Show is that the 207 HP John Works package is now available for both the hatchback AND convertible. First you buy either a hatchback or convertible Cooper S, then the $7000 John Works package is added at the dealerships. It gives a revised wheel, tire, and suspension package, bumps the HP to 207, adds individual twin driving lights to the grille, moves the speedometer to the steering wheel column with the tach, fills the center of the dash where the speedo formerly was with other engine gauges, and chrome-plates more of the interior and dash. It really adds not only more go but a lot of show with it, too. Now the good news.....ALL of this comes with a full factory Mini / BMW warranty, too.
Of course, by the time you buy all this stuff, you're talking around 30K total (or more).....a lot to pay or a car this size.
i would never spend 30k on a go cart with a roof
Old 01-01-05, 12:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexusondubs
i would never spend 30k on a go cart with a roof
The car is not for me either.....but lots of people DO, though. Minis of ALL types have a long waiting line (and sometimes price markups) at dealerships.
Old 01-02-05, 02:07 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the coolest thing about this car that i have seen so far is that it will fit in the rear of a big class A motorhome that is the only thing i like about it