Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Just purchased a 2005 Honda Odyssey

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-05, 11:49 AM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just purchased a 2005 Honda Odyssey

After your done chuckling you should know that this van is really the best of both worlds. Lexus technology with BMW feel. I know it's not fast or anything but I am very impressed with this car.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...964&p=70295583

Now all I need is the new Lexus sports car LF-A

hope this works

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...964&pw=OdyClub

Last edited by jimxo; 01-01-05 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-01-05, 12:00 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jimxo
After your done chuckling you should know that this van is really the best of both worlds. Lexus technology with BMW feel. I know it's not fast or anything but I am very impressed with this car.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...964&p=70295583

Now all I need is the new Lexus sports car LF-A
ha ha now all you need is one of the crazy japanese body kits and some wheels to have a pimped out van
Old 01-01-05, 12:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Congragulations. The Odyssey and the Toyota Sienna are probably the two best minivans in the North American market...though the Kia Sedona is an excellent value for the dollar.

Normally I advise a 1000-1500 mile oil and filter change for a brand-new vehicle to get the shaving and impurities out, but Honda / Acura products are an exception. Honda puts in oil at the factory that they want to remain in the crankcase for the first 3000 miles....they probably told you that in the dealer's buisness office when you did the paperwork. Draining and refilling it before that may compromise the warranty.

The other general break-in rules still apply:

Engine RPM kept below 4000 for the first 1000 miles.

Vary engine speed below 4000 RPM.....no long, steady stretches of the same RPM.

No full-throttle starts. After the break-in you can redline the engine and floor it.
(Something most people with minivans don't do ayway)

No really hard or panic stops for the first 500-1000 miles, except in an emergency. This will help the brake pads seat into the rotors properly....and the linings into the drums if it has rear drum brakes.

Once again, Congragulations....and enjoy your new wheels.

P.S.......no chuckling from me. I don't believe in automotive stereotypes. A person should buy and drive what they NEED....and can afford. Anybody who SERIOUSLY razzes you about buying a minivan, IMO, can jump in the lake.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-01-05 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-01-05, 12:17 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Congrats. I like the new Odyssey.
Old 01-01-05, 05:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,660 Posts

VERY nice. I've seen a couple of the new ones on the road or in parking lots and they look really great. A big step forward over the last gen.

Hopefully the tranny is better than the old one though, not cuz of the varied tranny problems that Acura's had for example, but because I have never felt Honda autos are very smooth, and went in my former neighbor's 03 Odyssey and it was nice but the tranny was still lumpy in shifting.
Old 01-01-05, 07:08 PM
LexRoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My cousin has the previous generation Odessey, all loaded up and its pretty nice!

Best of luck with it.
Old 01-01-05, 07:51 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice van I love them I have a van myself but a Mazda MPV.
Old 01-01-05, 08:58 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

The new Odyssey is very nice.I have pics of the new Odyssey that I took in August before it's official release. An American Honda employee came with his family at this Japanese restaurant we ate at. All the H badges were covered and the tail/headlights were covered in color keyed tape to disguise it. It was pretty obvious it was the new Ody since it was parked right next to a previous generation one. I'll have to upload pics of that night. Pretty cool.
Old 01-01-05, 09:38 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Hey Jim, that badge says "touring" what gives? Did I talk you into it? What happned to the EX?
Old 01-03-05, 12:11 PM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Thank you for sharing the pictures Jim. Man, that screen is HUGE
What make you pick the ody over the sienna? I have no preference, just curious
Old 01-03-05, 07:14 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Normally I advise a 1000-1500 mile oil and filter change for a brand-new vehicle to get the shaving and impurities out, but Honda / Acura products are an exception. Honda puts in oil at the factory that they want to remain in the crankcase for the first 3000 miles....they probably told you that in the dealer's buisness office when you did the paperwork. Draining and refilling it before that may compromise the warranty.
Well, for my Honda, it was 5,000 for "severe condition" and 10,000 for normal driving conditions. I think 90% of us fall under the severe driving condition.

Anyway, I didn't know about the "special" oil from the factory UNTIL it was too late. I have a 02 CR-V by the way.

The dealership did NOT inform me to leave the oil in there until 5k miles. Since this was my first new car ever, I decided to bring it back to the dealership for its first oil change at around 2,500 miles (and I thought I was pushing it already). As I kid, I remember reading about having your first oil change at 1,000 - 2,000 miles so that all the crap from the oil can be out of your motor (metal shavings or whatnot).

Well, the dealership didn't say a word and they changed the oil. Then later I found out that it wasn't supposed to be changed (from CR-V forums) until 5k miles. I was worried that I may have "damaged" the car. But at 20k miles, it's all good.

I'm not really sure what Honda puts in the oil from the factory. But hopefully my motor won't be ruined down the road because of this (I really doubt it).

Back on topic: Great minivan! If I were in the market, the Oddy & the Sienna would be my only choices.
Old 01-04-05, 08:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Honda used to have 3000-mile factory oil. Perhaps it is 5000 miles now. Anyhow...the point I was making is that the normal recommendation of a 1000-1500 mile change to get the shavings out doesn't apply with Honda / Acura products. In general, with them you should do whatever is factory-recommended. The fact that their engines last so long shows that they generally know what they are doing....but one thing that DOES disturb me about Honda is why they only warranty their engines for 3/36 (Acura, I think, is 4/50) if they are so confident of their oil-change procedures. It looks to me like a case of not putting the money where the mouth is.....even if they don't need to.
Old 01-04-05, 01:17 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Honda used to have 3000-mile factory oil. Perhaps it is 5000 miles now. Anyhow...the point I was making is that the normal recommendation of a 1000-1500 mile change to get the shavings out doesn't apply with Honda / Acura products. In general, with them you should do whatever is factory-recommended. The fact that their engines last so long shows that they generally know what they are doing....but one thing that DOES disturb me about Honda is why they only warranty their engines for 3/36 (Acura, I think, is 4/50) if they are so confident of their oil-change procedures. It looks to me like a case of not putting the money where the mouth is.....even if they don't need to.
What mmarshal is talking about is Honda/Acura used to (They still could be just I haven't researched it in a while) use a special "Break In" oil in which they had their own additives and oil weight as well I believe to help break in and seat bearings and other engine related parts of that nature. If you drain that oil before the recomended break in time you run the risk of not breaking in your engine properly according to Honda/Acura specs. In previous Honda/Acura cars this special brean in oil and change interval was mentioned in the owners manual. Doealer never mention this kind of stuff unless you get a good knowledgable sales person. From then on the recomended oil change interval is normal.
Old 01-04-05, 03:06 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by wantAnewLex
Congrats. I like the new Odyssey.
Yes, It has always been the top 1 or 2 van.