Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Muscle, Economy: Have It Both Ways With Ward’s 10 Best Engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-05, 05:57 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Muscle, Economy: Have It Both Ways With Ward’s 10 Best Engines

http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_muscle_...ways/index.htm

Muscle, Economy: Have It Both Ways With Ward’s 10 Best Engines

By Bill Visnic

WardsAuto.com, Dec 8 2004

Cylinder deactivation, gasoline-electric hybridization and advanced diesel technology all are represented by winners on this year’s list.

Print-friendly format E-mail this information

The winners of Ward’s 10 Best Engines awards for 2005 demonstrate that you can have it all: Many of the winning engines highlight sophisticated new technology that not only improves mileage but also pumps up power.

The 2005 list of the industry’s most exemplary engines marks the 11th year for the Ward’s 10 Best Engines program.

Mercedes 3.2L inline 6-cyl. turbodiesel among winners.
Cylinder deactivation, gasoline-electric hybridization and advanced diesel technology all are represented by winners on this year’s list.

Another important emerging technology that generates more power while also improving fuel economy – direct gasoline injection – brings home a win for Audi AG in its first North American application of its all-new “FSI” 3.2L DOHC V-6. The 255-hp FSI (Fuel Straight Injection) V-6 produces 35 hp more than the engine it replaces, yet delivers as much as 10% better fuel economy. Audi’s direct-injection powerhouse also operates on regular-grade unleaded gasoline.

Cylinder deactivation is another critical new fuel-saving technology featured on two other Ward’s 10 Best Engines winners for 2005.

DaimlerChrysler AG’s now-famous 5.7L “Hemi” V-8 incorporates the company’s Multi-Displacement System to instantaneously shut down four of the cylinders when not needed. Meanwhile, when the Hemi’s vaunted power is required, MDS immediately reactivates the cylinders to generate the engine’s full 340 hp.

Honda Motor Co. Ltd. also uses its own cylinder-deactivation system – Variable Cylinder Management – to boost fuel economy for the new 3L SOHC V-6 used in its Accord Hybrid. The car also employs Honda’s Integrated Motor Assist hybrid-electric technology to boost power and increase fuel efficiency. While the Accord Hybrid is 15 hp stronger than its traditional-powertrain counterpart, VCM and IMA combine to improve fuel efficiency by 23% on the highway and 38% in city driving.

DaimlerChrysler’s Mercedes-Benz unit wins a Ward’s 10 Best Engines award in the first year of availability of its new CDI 3.2L inline 6-cyl. turbodiesel. As with Audi’s FSI, the Mercedes diesel employs high-tech direct fuel injection and a host of other sophisticated electronic controls to create a diesel engine that generates spectacular torque and almost 40% better fuel economy than a similar-size gasoline 6-cyl.

Power for power’s sake is not forgotten on this year’s list, however. Ford Motor Co. wins with its heavily revised 4.6L SOHC V-8 in the all-new Ford Mustang GT. Ward’s testers praised Ford for creating a refined V-8 that produces 300 hp at an affordable price and called it “the perfect new-generation muscle-car V-8.”

Honda proves it also “knows horsepower” with its first-time winner, the Acura 3.5L SOHC V-6. The new V-6 pounds out 300 hp, making it one of the most powerful naturally aspirated 6-cyl. engines in production. The 3.5L V-6 is used in Acura’s all-new RL luxury/sport sedan.

Audi returns for a second year with its smooth and powerful 4.2L DOHC V-8 that generates a thundering 340 hp in a package that seamlessly integrates sophistication and muscle. Audi’s premium V-8 remains one of the market’s most powerful V-8s for its size.

Also returning as a Ward’s 10 Best Engines winner is General Motors Corp.’s Vortec 4.2L DOHC inline 6-cyl., used in its midsize SUVs. The Vortec 4200 enjoys its fourth consecutive year as a 10 Best Engines winner.

Taking its unrivaled 11th consecutive 10 Best Engines trophy is Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.’s 3.5L DOHC V-6. The only engine to win an award every year since the program’s inception, Nissan engineers improved the “VQ” V-6 with new levels of power and torque for 2005.

Ward’s 10 Best Engines list is completed by Mazda Motor Corp.’s unique Renesis rotary engine. This 1.3L powerhouse returns for a second year fronting the same impressive design advances and spectacular power output, in relation to its size, that virtually guaranteed a win in 2004, its first year of availability.

Ward’s tested 36 car and truck engines for its 2005 10 Best Engines competition, evaluating them based on the crucial engine characteristics of power; torque; noise, vibration and harshness (NVH); technical relevance and basic comparative numbers. All engines nominated and tested were in vehicles with a base price less than $52,500.

The 2005 winners, along with the vehicles they were tested in:

· Audi FSI 3.2L DOHC V-6 (Audi A6)

· Audi 4.2L DOHC V-8 (Audi S4)

· DaimlerChrysler 5.7L Hemi Magnum OHV V-8 (Chrysler 300C)

· DaimlerChrysler 3.2L DOHC I-6 CDI Turbodiesel (Mercedes E320 CDI)

· Ford 4.6L SOHC V-8 (Ford Mustang GT)

· General Motors 4.2L DOHC Vortec I-6 (Chevrolet TrailBlazer)

· Honda 3L SOHC V-6 IMA Hybrid (Honda Accord Hybrid)

· Honda 3.5L SOHC V-6 (Acura RL)

· Mazda 1.3L Renesis rotary (Mazda RX-8)

· Nissan 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Infiniti G35 Coupe)
Old 01-03-05, 08:55 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with all of them. A little surprised that the Accord Hybrid beated the Prius as far as hybrid powertrains go, though.
Old 01-03-05, 08:57 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm also a little surpise no bmw made the list.
Old 01-03-05, 09:04 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by rogers
I'm also a little surpise no bmw made the list.
That's because this list is pretty much irrelevant and over-rated. They always pick good motors, but the list is in no way a definitive "best of." I really don't know why the waste their time. And Honda's hybrid tech really isn't in the same league as Toyota's.
Old 01-03-05, 10:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Not sure if the Mazda Genesis rotary really belongs on this list. It delivers neither high power nor high economy. It has a high HP / liter but poor low-end torque, and the high gas and oil consumption figures show that even after all these years, Mazda STILL has not perfected the design of the rotary-tip seals. Road and Track had to add so much oil to their test car in the first few thousand miles that they started carrying a case of it in the trunk.
Old 01-03-05, 11:51 AM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the rotary is only on their because of how unique it is in the market. It's very efficient but I'm sure many people who aren't truly knowledgable about cars use it as a gimmick rather than the piece of engineering it really is.

About the "Hemi" being as great as it is, I've only heard let downs about the gas mileage, even with MDS. The LS6 (Z06) and LS2 (C6) engines are getting the same mileage but are much higher power and are known to be (for the LS6 moreso, the LS2 is still too young) some of the most reliable sports car V8s available. Wouldn't you think they're also being produced for cheaper than the more technically packed "Hemi" 5.7?

James
Old 01-03-05, 01:44 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wantAnewLex
That's because this list is pretty much irrelevant and over-rated. They always pick good motors, but the list is in no way a definitive "best of." I really don't know why the waste their time. And Honda's hybrid tech really isn't in the same league as Toyota's.
True. I wish they gave us a score card or some mathematical/statistical formula that shows people objectively how these motors are superior to the others. Otherwise it isn't much better than a 10 Best list from *me*.
Old 01-03-05, 02:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jet864
I think the rotary is only on their because of how unique it is in the market. It's very efficient but I'm sure many people who aren't truly knowledgable about cars use it as a gimmick rather than the piece of engineering it really is.
James
What do you mean by "efficient ", Jim? HP ? True, it peaks at 197-238 HP (depending on transmission) from only 1.3 liters and a very light weight....but at a very high RPM, and with little torque.
And it sure is not efficient with gas and oil. Rotaries never have been.
Old 01-03-05, 03:01 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What do you mean by "efficient ", Jim? HP ? True, it peaks at 197-238 HP (depending on transmission) from only 1.3 liters and a very light weight....but at a very high RPM, and with little torque.
I think the greatest benefit of a rotoray engine is its compact size and light weight, even though the RX-8 isn't exactly light in its class.
Old 01-03-05, 03:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
I think the greatest benefit of a rotoray engine is its compact size and light weight, even though the RX-8 isn't exactly light in its class.
The RX-8 obviously is not heavy because of the engine. The lack of B-Pillars on either side to allow for the 2 little front-opening rear doors requires extra bracing in the middle part of the body, which of course adds weight.
Old 01-03-05, 03:50 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Wow! Nissan has won it like 11 or so years in a row now! The VQ is a sweet engine!
Old 01-03-05, 05:54 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
Wow! Nissan has won it like 11 or so years in a row now! The VQ is a sweet engine!
Yeah, and I don't think the 2JZ has been on the list once. Does that mean it sucks? No. It means this list is garbage. I doubt anyone would be quick to say that the 2JZ is inferior, in any way, to a VQ.

Again, the point is that the list is useless and their selections are irrelevant.
Old 01-03-05, 06:25 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yep, that's all I meant, efficient in regards to HP/L, and most likely (haven't researched at all) HP/weight when talking about the weight of the engine itself.

James
Old 01-03-05, 06:45 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Pfft...

Best engines (well most reliable that I know of) are Toyota motors

Dunno much about the 2JZ, but my 1JZ, restricted 280hp from the factory and still pulls out 13~14L/100km avg hahah

And Toyota turbo diesels... I've yet to see one break.