Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

06 S-class spied

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-05, 03:47 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i hate to be soo blount but whoever designed that car...good lord
Old 01-27-05, 07:23 AM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't like it
Old 04-26-05, 07:59 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

NEW INFO!!!

It's a face-off! This picture reveals how the front of Mercedes' eagerly awaited next-generation S-Class will look. Although partly covered with black plastic cladding, it is obvious the new design is sleeker and more sculpted than that of the current car.

This official picture gives the world its first glimpse of the finished model, which will hit British showrooms in the autumn. As well as a new nose, the S-Class boasts a raft of clever hi-tech safety kit.

The current model was the first car with Pre-safe. This system senses an imminent impact using data from sensors, and automatically moves the electric seats to the safest position, closes the sunroof and pre-tensions the seatbelts. In the next S-Class, the set-up is enhanced and shuts the side windows, too. It also moves the front and rear backrests, and inflates the side bolsters to anchor and cushion occupants.

This function is a development of the Dynamic Multi-Contour Seat, already used in range-topping Mercs, which alters the chair's shape according to cornering forces. However, the idea of the inflatable bolsters has been expanded to keep occupants further away from the site of a side impact.

Another development on the new car is Brake-Assist Plus. This uses the radar beam of the Distronic adaptive cruise control to boost braking pressure if you're about to crash into a car in front. A similar system has just been launched in the new Lexus GS430 (see our first drive on Page 27), but instead of applying maximum braking, the Mercedes set-up continuously alters the pressure as required. Meanwhile, a second, short-range radar, which scans an area 80 degrees wide ahead of the car, looks out for impacts from other angles.

The maker used its Berlin-based driving simulator - the most realistic device owned by any car manufacturer - to develop Brake-Assist Plus. Tests, which including braking from 81mph to avoid hitting stationary traffic, showed that it reduced the number of collisions from 44 per cent to 11 per cent.

iDrive biotches!!!! LOL. How horrible.
Old 04-26-05, 08:16 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Dash looks kinda like the 7 series

Old 04-26-05, 08:26 AM
LexFather

1. The front looks like the new C-class. The damn hood doesn't even include the whole grill, only half of it, like the facelifted C-class.
2. That interior is horrible and disapointing. That cannot be the interior, it looks identical to the 7 and it looks even cheaper than the current one (which is already a complaint) That has to be a Buick or something.
3. More tech that is cool but is it really needed? And wow, did they say the GS 430 had something first

Old 04-26-05, 08:36 AM
Dlewbell
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw two of these going down the road a few weeks back in Terre Haute. I'm still mad that I didn't think to get pics. From what I could tell of the shape they looked pretty good, but most of the features were pretty well disguised. What they were doing in Terre Haute, I have no idea. Don't think there's anything Mercedes related in IN period.
Old 04-26-05, 08:38 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Dlewbell
Saw two of these going down the road a few weeks back in Terre Haute. I'm still mad that I didn't think to get pics. From what I could tell of the shape they looked pretty good, but most of the features were pretty well disguised. What they were doing in Terre Haute, I have no idea. Don't think there's anything Mercedes related in IN period.

I think there is a factory or something out there by you.
Old 04-26-05, 08:44 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Dash looks kinda like the 7 series

LOL...its what the 7 series dash should have looked like. I cant get over the fact that this is basically a replica 7 dash. Hmmm...I wonder what the MB boards have to say about this one?? Is MB on the road to become the new copycats of the century?? Or are the Germans running out of ideas??(Jetta, Passat, Bangle crap, new S-class etc etc) Maybe I am getting ahead of myself.
Old 04-26-05, 08:57 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
1. The front looks like the new C-class. The damn hood doesn't even include the whole grill, only half of it, like the facelifted C-class.
2. That interior is horrible and disapointing. That cannot be the interior, it looks identical to the 7 and it looks even cheaper than the current one (which is already a complaint) That has to be a Buick or something.
3. More tech that is cool but is it really needed? And wow, did they say the GS 430 had something first
The only clear give away to me as to why this is a MB interior is the identical Steering wheel in the new ML-class and R-class. The rest of the interior however shares no family resemblence. However, the two newest MB models are trucks or crossovers. Maybe they will do two unique dash layouts. One for cars and the other for trucks. I think MB always had a history of dash designs that were pretty similar throughout the model line.

Last edited by magneto112; 04-26-05 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-26-05, 09:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow man don't tell me it's something like the idrive, i will bang my head on the wall...
Old 04-26-05, 09:18 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Looks kind of like the CLS.
Old 04-26-05, 09:54 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

That S interior is verrry identical to the 7
Well, at least the nav screen is bigger and higher up than the current gen.
Old 04-26-05, 10:21 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

the new 750Li looks very nice after the refresh. it was pretty impressive face lift. i've always liked the current gen of S class. the new one, however, looks kinda blend in the crowd for MB.
Old 04-26-05, 11:11 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
wow man don't tell me it's something like the idrive, i will bang my head on the wall...
I will bet my house that it's gonna be just like the i-Drive.

Okay so I don't have a house, but you get my point.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 04-26-05 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-26-05, 02:04 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

well if it is it and i do hope its the 06 S-class, it finally has fog lamps. kinda weird how a 75 thousand dollar plus car doesnt offer fogs as standard, or optional, ( i think its optional but dont know for sure) even the 600 model which is like a decent house price doesnt have them. well guess they thought the lights were bring enough that the car didnt need them, but who knows

Quick Reply: 06 S-class spied