Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Test Drives - Hyundai Tucson & Chevy Malibu Maxx

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-05, 05:57 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Drives - Hyundai Tucson & Chevy Malibu Maxx

Well - after a night out on the lots, I thought I'd return and write a few sentences here about my experiences with the aforementioned vehicles (see the thread title).

First off - why would I ever test drive or even think about placing even one butt-cheek in either of these two cars?

My mother is currently in the market for a small(er) wagon/SUV to replace an aging 2001 Toyota Sienna LE.

After quite a few lengthy discussions, we've established a couple of priorities.
1.) It must ride like a cloud ... no ... um ... like a ... van, yes that's it.
2.) It must not "jostle" the occupant(s) - namely the driver.
3.) It must be "sporty" and youthful.
4.) It must be able to haul old people. ( ..... see #3)
5.) Due to #4 it must be 16 ft off the ground.
6.) .....

Well - you get the general idea ... my mom has absolutely no idea what she's looking for in a vehicle outside of a few vague and abstract ideas that are sometimes associated with vehicles by lazy auto critics on SPEED.

So I formulate a list based on a few real-world characteristics and attempt to consider my mom's relatively vague preferences. It became clear to me early in our discourse that she would "consider" a wagon - but would never buy one. Apparently, for her, the word "wagon" conjures up stodgy images of Ford Pinto Squires and Dodge Aspen wagons from the 70's or something.

Given that this SUV/wagon will be for my mom - I chose three points of priority to aid in the selection process listed below in order:

1.) Safety
2.) Reliability
3.) Fuel Consumption

I came up with the following list (ordered most ideal to least):

1.) Subaru Forester
2.) Hyundai Tucson
3.) Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS wagon
4.) Mazda3 5-door

B-List:
- Chevy Malibu MAXX

I had to totally rule out the new Kia Spectra5 as a possibility for two reasons. 1.) It's unsafe despite its impressive list of safety features and 2.) it rides lower than my mom would prefer.

Now for the vehicle impressions.

Hyundai Tucson:

We tested the 4-cyl 4-speed Auto GL trim level (FWD) Tucson.

The Tucson shares underpinnings with the Elantra which is both safe and fairly well-built. The Tucson inherits these qualities. The exterior fit and finish is top notch considering the price (just over 18,000 w/ standard features - which is quite a long list). The interior quality I was not so impressed with. This very well may be the first new Hyundai I've seen that didn't sport an improved interior. But, the ergonomics are good - everything is placed well within reach and all the controls are fairly intuitive; gages are basic but easily read. The stock stereo is certainly better than most stock units. And most importantly - the seats are highly, albiet manually, configurable and comfortable. Having tested a Hyundai Santa Fe not too long ago, I found the Tucson much quieter with a considerably more refined ride. Noise, Vibration, & Harshness certainly seems far less an issue with the Tucson than its pricier older brother. The biggest problem that I have with this car is that it's so damn heavy. It's about 3250lbs with only 140hp (136 torque) to haul it around. Compare that to a Toyota RAV4 which is about 2950lbs (and the RAV4 is now powered by the same 160hp 2.4L - as in the Camry). Needless to say it's quite the slug. My mom, on the other hand, noted that it "seemed to have a lot of pick-up" ....

Overall - if I had to rate the new Tucson - I'd give it 3.5 of 5 stars.

The 2005 Chevrolet Malibu MAXX:

Since the Chevrolet dealership is literally 15 seconds away from the Hyundai dealership and due to the fact that my mom expressed interest in the Malibu MAXX having caught a glimpse of the commercial - we headed over to take a peek.

They have a few Malibu MAXX's in their inventory. I pulled up next to the blue one that my mom was pointing at and we got out to have a look. A minute later the salesguy came running out with the key smelling like burnt popcorn and BO. *Obligatory handshakes* "Soooo, you folks are looking at a Maaaaaalibooooooooo ... Maaaaaaxxxxxxxxxx .... they're niiiiiiiiiiice. Check this out ..." Then he overtly hit the remote door locks on the key fob like this was the next big thing in auto technology (poor Chevy). Nothing happened. I was unsure whether I should laugh or get back into my car and drive away. I decided to do neither. The battery was totally dead. "It's been sitting here so long the battery must be dead ..." He manually unlocked the car so that my mom could get in and sit down; then proceeded to explain that my "Nissan" was "35 percent less stable" and that "the Malibu rides like a Mercedes" ... then he ran back to the sales room to get jumper cables. Having just sat down in the seat, my mom immediately indicated that she liked neither the general interior nor the seats which she felt were uncomfortable and poorly designed (she's a physical therapist).

Before the guy came back with the cables we walked back to my car and drove away.

So there you have it.

Once I get around to driving the other cars on the list - I'll see about posting up about them too (if I've got the time).

Take care.

M.

Last edited by whipimpin; 01-04-05 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-04-05, 06:01 PM
LexFather

Thanks for sharing! I actually think the Mailbu Maxx is slighly clever.

Old 01-04-05, 06:03 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Haha, good stuff. Viking, as usual, is doing absolutely no business. They have about 3 truckloads of Outbacks and some Foresters...Including that bastard 2004 XT...They can eat it.
Old 01-04-05, 06:05 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thanks for sharing! I actually think the Mailbu Maxx is slighly clever.
Yeah - I wasn't totally disgusted by the MAXX - but it's nothing I'd spend over 20 grand on.

My mom couldn't handle the seats - so we walked.

I just thought the salesguy was a trip.

M.
Old 01-04-05, 07:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Check the 2005 Legacy / Outback for your mom when you go to look at a Forester. It is an awesome new product, IMO.....one of the best new vehicles in years and easily the best all-around Subaru products I have ever seen. There are normally aspirated and Turbo versions, sedans and wagons, sticks and automatics, flat-four and flat-six engines, monotones and two-tones. Interiors acome in beige / wood trim or black / metal trim depending on outside colors. The 2.5i Wagon starts around 24K.....but L.L. Beans and VSC models can top 33K. The interior (I am not exaggerating) is Lexus-quality for a Subaru price. I look at a LOT of new cars all the time...and for the money this one really stunned me.
Of course, you or your mom may not care for it.....but at least give it a look.
There is also an L.L. Bean Forester this year starting at 26-27K, with a special trim and leather interior. The base Forester, though, at 21-22K is an excellent value.