Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Online Petition (11k signatures!) to get Bangle out of BMW for ugly cars.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-05, 09:39 PM
LexFather

Default Online Petition (11k signatures!) to get Bangle out of BMW for ugly cars.

http://www.petitiononline.com/STOPCB/petition.html

This is funny and not a joke. I signed it.

Old 01-04-05, 10:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

seriously man, ONLY 11k? gosh we gottan post this up on washinton post, LA times and NY times, that would get up to about 111k in no time
Old 01-04-05, 11:41 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I signed it too, good riddens.
Old 01-05-05, 08:02 AM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just signed. Maybe well get him out before he ruins the M3.
Old 01-05-05, 09:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Count me on board, guys.......I was only too happy to sign it.

Henry...if you want to forward the petition to the Washington Post it is http://www.washingtonpost.com. The Post's chief auto writer is a guy named Warren Brown.
Old 01-05-05, 09:51 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts
Just curious as to how many people on BMW forums signed this?
Old 01-05-05, 10:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Well, thanks to Bangle, the number of people on BMW forums is probably declining anyway.
Old 01-05-05, 12:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GammaLex
Just signed. Maybe well get him out before he ruins the M3.
too bad, i am pretty sure it's ruined already. he successfully ruined everything for bmw, that's how incredible he is
Old 01-05-05, 12:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
we will never know, coz' even if they signed, they say it's still a nice car
Old 01-05-05, 12:58 PM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
we will never know, coz' even if they signed, they say it's still a nice car
LOL, that is so true
Old 01-05-05, 02:44 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

People need to get themselves a life. This is probably going to be signed mostly by people who are never going to own a BMW. I own a Lexus and couldn't care less about how BMW designs looked like.

I bet most people wouldn't like it if strangers you never met signed a petition to get you fired.

Last edited by SC300Es; 01-05-05 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-05-05, 03:12 PM
2jzgte
Lead Lap

Wow so many of you dislike this Bangle Direction, possibly because the guys in engineering are so good they always change the design before production to make it "feasible". Chris Bangle is a genius, if he wasn't, his style would not be emulated so much. I really like the new BMW look, some of the things Bangle does are worthy of being shot but overall he's got the right idea. I think if people didn't have a predefined image of what a car or BMW for that matter should look like, then everyone would love them. Look at porsche, they were laughed at for years with their aluminum bathtubs on wheels with rear skirts people called them upside down Nash Airflytes. I think radical designs are healthy, it's easier to design for guys down on their luck than a company at it's prime and much more rewarding. Chris bangle didn't single handedly turb out every new BMW that you don't like. He's worked there for 12 years designing these cars, it's just that like an old president he is nearing his last two years in the Design department and is making them count with radical changes. It seems to me the public is scared to see something new, muchless something that doesn't look like a revised older car. If he wasn't limited by the other departments that get free will to revise the car they would be better looking than they are now. I guess some ideas are too far and ahead of their times. One day the BMW administration will allow the entire effect to be translated to the car, not some half assed modernist approach that kills the design.
Old 01-05-05, 03:17 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also signed it but sadly, as long as people keep buying their cars, they can't care less about however many people have signed this petition.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 01-05-05 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-05-05, 03:33 PM
LexFather

The petition, is not to be taken seriously. Bangle already got promoted and his spawn son is now in charge of ugly cars.
And yes, this does effect all buyers. Some of us would like to one day own a BMW but it looks like we will be forced to buy the older, much better looking models.

There is something new and diffferent, and there is ugly. These new cars are ugly. Looking at BMW car sales, they are down. The Z4 is a flop. Everyone, every magazine has called them ugly, I-drive useless and they are losing driving feel since they keep adding electronic aids.

BMW and its designers, all 5 of them, accuse the world of not knowing what is pretty and we are basically idiots for not liking or understanding their design.

The cars are ungainly and look like Kias. Period. The traditional Shark Nose BMW look and short overhangs are gone. The only thing left is the kidney grill, they are shaping like real kidney beans and the Hoffmeister kink.

And the trunk design is nothing new. The Hynandai Sonata concept of 1997 and production car has that same ugly rear design. And the sharp edges are not new either. Its just BMWs version of Fords failed "New Edge"effort i.e Mercury Cougar, GT50 concept of 1996.

BMW had arguably the most beautiful cars. Not striking and bold like todays but they really helped define what a luxury car should look like. They needed evolutionary, not revolutionary.

If things were going so well, the 3 series would look crazy too. Instead, they put a gun to the designers head, held their ***** in a vice-grip and said "calm the hell down for christs sake". The new 3, now looks very evolutionary.

Old 01-05-05, 04:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The petition, is not to be taken seriously. .
Well, Mike.....is it serious or isn't it?
You said in the first post that it was NOT a joke. Now you're saying it is. Henry felt it should go to the major newspapers.

While clearly not everyone agrees, it is obvious that the majority of us are behind you on this one.

Quick Reply: Online Petition (11k signatures!) to get Bangle out of BMW for ugly cars.