Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What's is a cheap, used convertible? (Boxster thread)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-05, 01:44 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by talgrl626
1993 Volkswagen Cabriolet
$5,700 Mileage 87,000 Engine 1.8L
Transmission Auto
That auto tranny is only a 3-speed ...

And the 1.8L petrol unit is just about maxxed out @ 87 grand.

I'd probably avoid this one.

M.
Old 01-06-05, 02:18 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

that's what i figuered about the mitsu cars.. but there are 2 friends told me that mitsu's tranny is horrible. i've heard ppl saying acrua's tranny's bad, and it is true for my co-worker's TL(or whatever the 2 door model is) is that acura CL?
that is true, and their warrantys are pretty much worthless as far as im concerned, since i dont foresee them being around in a few years. HOWEVER...the above statement, as far as i know, is only true of their automatics....the 5 speeds are much better.

have you considered a Chrysler Sebring?? or the scion tc with the panorama sunroof? thats close to a convertible. here are my obsevations:

-Last Gen Camaro, the 3.8L V6's were supposedly bulletproof, the transmissions were not buletproof, but decent. and not at all unreliable. the only issue i can recall abotu the 3.8L camaro V6 is the waterpumps like to go every 80K or so. $500 or so every 80-100K, i can live with that.

-C4 (1984-1995) Corvette (there are still some nice ones to be had for under $10,000)

-Chrysler Sebring, 2000 and above, the transaxle problem was remedied after the redesign. (there are killer deals on the 04's right, now dealers in my area are offering incentives like 0% financing or up to $4,000 cash back, i believe they are going to be discontinuing the convertable for 06 they seem to be having a hard time selling them.

-VW Beetle Convetible, they arent selling too well (around here), maybe you could find one cheap where you are.

-Pontiac Sunfire/Chevy Cavalier...be carefule with these, if driven like they are stolen, headgaskets can become routine maintenance, if not, count on having it done every 100,000 miles)

-1992 chrysler lebaron, providing you can finde one in good condition with low miles, i like those.

-the mustang of course..im a ford man, so i will keep my biased opinion to myself. all i can say is the 04's are going to be having their prices CUT...bigtime!

-The eclipse we have already evaluated. weak point: auto trans, strong point, decently powerful V6

-MR2 i dont knwo enough about, but it is a toyota, that should be all you need to know.

-Honda S2000. i know its not a 2+2, but it can be had farily cheap for 1st and 2nd year cars.

-Nissan 300ZX. very few convertibles were made here in the states. if you can find one, JUMP on it. will be worth $$$ someday. i think they made only 2,000 or so and only one year (1996). otherwise, a T-top is just as cool!

-the Nissan 350Z, if you can stand to look at it...

-Later model toyota celica, again, its a toyota.

the new chevy cobalt will be arriving shortly i believem that should be a Scion wannabe with a GM pricetag...we will see.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 01-06-05 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-06-05, 03:46 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts
Cool

All vehicles mentioned are <$10000

1997 Celica GT Convertible here

1998 CElica GT COnvertible (red ) here

'nother 1998 CElica GT COnvertible (black) here

1999 CElica GT convertible here (good price and acceptable mileage)

1993 Nissan 240sx Convertible here (not wat your lookin for but <100k miles)

1990 NISSAN SPECIAL non convertible here! (not a convertible but i saw and think ud like it )

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS here

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder here
(bit high but only 61k miles)

Large number of Mitsu Eclipse <$10k here

i hope these can help; out of curiousity for this car?
Old 01-06-05, 04:08 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

"cheap" ... this outta fit the budget. can you drive a stick?
Old 01-06-05, 04:10 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

it's multi-functional
Old 01-06-05, 06:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Here's my recommendations, Talgrl, on the convertibles you and others have mentioned:

The used Solara convertible would be a good choice if in good condition. It is not one of the better convertibles as far as cowl shake is concerned but, like the Camry it is based on, is a very reliable car.
The Celica convertible is also a good choice....and a BEAUTIFUL one. The body, IMO, is stunning. Celicas have a good reliability history.
Miatas, S2000s, and MR2's also make good choices if in good shape. All three have had good reliability records. But keep in mind that the Miata and S2000, being front-engine / rear-drivers, handle and corner differently from the MR2. The MR2, having much of its weight behind the driver, does not track quite as evenly on a straight road...it takes a lot of small steering corrections to keep it centered in its lane. Likewise, the MR2's tail will pop out in a sharp curve quicker and will generally be more unstable than the front-engine Miata and S2000. The advantage to a car like the MR2, though, is quicker steering response and better braking due to the car's forward weight transfer and the centering of the car's gravity.
I'd stay away from the Eclipse Spyder convertible. They have a very poor reliability record and really don't offer much besides a little punch in the turbo versions and wet-traction in the AWD ones. The Mitsubishi Diamond-Star plant in IL where they were built (along with the Eagle Talon)is notoriously one of the worst plants in the industry. I have never been impressed with the Eclipse, Talon, or any of the other vehicles I've seen built there.
Porsche Boxsters, reliability-wise, had a troublesome start in the late 1990's but have improved quite a bit since then. The roof-raising and lowering mechanisms tended to be troublesome, and, like many European cars, had a few electrical glitches. They are expensive, though, both as new and used cars, because of high demand and the panache of the Porsche sports-car name. Insurance is also quite high on any Porsche product.....and most insurance companies charge a premium on any two-seater. You, though, being female, will probably not pay as much as a male.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-06-05 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-06-05, 11:57 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ivesGS400
I'm looking into getting a convertible as well. I think my #1 choice is the Honda S2000. Be sure to check those out.
If all goes well for me, I too plan on getting a used s2000 this spring, right in time for the hot summer nights!! I sure hope all goes well for me!!
Old 01-07-05, 02:40 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

s2000 is one of the few cars that look really nice as a convertible
Old 01-07-05, 12:41 PM
R1MAN
Rookie

We have a 98 Chrysler Sebring, with 70k miles on it, so far not a single problem, they are not the fastest but in my eye they are one best looking car around.
Old 01-07-05, 02:58 PM
C-Train
Lead Lap

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=146107

Old 01-07-05, 06:52 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about a BMW E36 (93-99 3-Series) convertible? (note that the convertible generations run a model year behind the sedans, where that body style ran from 92-98). Reliability isn't at Toyota/Honda levels and parts may be somewhat expensive, but they're sporty and have the BMW badge appeal. If you're willing to go for a 4-cylinder 318iC, purchase price and insurance will be pretty reasonable.
Old 01-13-05, 10:23 AM
LexFather

all the true players, partners, and babes, what's going on. i wanna first start of by greeting every one a happy new year. and second of all, i was sort of looking for a 98 boxster then i thought, forget it, who knows how much that's gonna cost me. making money is already harder than catching rain drops from the sky.

so i saw something very sexy on ebay motors- a pearl white 2000 solara convertible!

o it's loaded with leather and not even 5k miles! i fell in love with it right away! i know that car can be driven until 200K miles no doubt. BUT! IT'S 20grand!! 20grand for a toyota camry?? man why is it always so expensive to buy cars on ebay

1. is it because toyota is always more expensive b'c its brand name and reputation??
2. who has a 98 or 99 celica convertible to sale, holla back!
3. i would love to drive a nissan or mitsubishi convertibles, only coz they are cheap!!
(i found plenty of 2001 eclipse for only a liltto bit over 10grand. even thou the car is hella ugly)
4. jeep wrangler ain't cheap.
5. mustang... urrrg, i duno about that. i much rather get a 4 cyl. convertible. (unless it's a peal white solara )
6. or some of you might be generous enuf to make some donotion to talgrl/cherity.org

Okay, found the mags. R U ready?
From 97-99, the Boxster had a 2.5 liter flat 6
From 00-04, it has a 2.7 flat 6
HP went from 201 to 217.
Seems the 00 and up models gained an improved interior, which was upgraded again in 2003. Including a glass rear window.
The Boxster has simply either won or came close to winning every review in every magazine, period.
We won't talk about the Boxster S since that model is pricier.

What else?

Old 01-13-05, 10:28 AM
talgrl626
Lexus Test Driver

nice nice... especially upgraded interior and glass rear window

thanks for coming to aide!
Old 01-13-05, 10:35 AM
LexFather

nice nice... especially upgraded interior and glass rear window

thanks for coming to aide!
Here are some prices they throw out.
1997 2.5 low is 20k high is 24k
98 low is 23.5k, high is 26.3k
99 low is 35.7l, high is 29.5k
00 low is 26.9k, high is 31.5k
01 2.7 liter low is 32k, high is 31.5k

This is from May 2004. So prices have dropped some more. Watch out for ownership costs, it says new Porsche buyers got shocked at the prices, try to get an independent shop. Early cars had minor problems like interior pieces falling off. Clutches were a problem, Check clutch operation carefullly. 99 2.5s had porous crankcases but these should be replaced under warrenty.
Seems for the 1st 2 years, resale was so high, you could seel the car without a loss! When leases ended, things got better.
If u want the automatic (Tiptronic) add 1k to the prices I mentioned.

They recommend (Sports Car International) the Boxster wsince they think its pretty amazing the car you get fro low 20s.

Old 01-13-05, 11:05 AM
talgrl626
Lexus Test Driver

mike if u keep throwing cream puffs like these @ me, i mite give my parents strokes when they see what's on the drive way!!

nontheless, keep the dance going

Quick Reply: What's is a cheap, used convertible? (Boxster thread)