Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Saturn: The New Hawtness

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-05, 08:53 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Saturn: The New Hawtness

Yes, I would hit it. And then I would hit it some more. This just might be the first Saturn that will have a wait-list. It looks like a baby Vette and will be priced under $25K. Try to criticise it. This, along with the Aura, may give Saturn the boost it needs.

The two-seat Sky is likely to catch the most immediate attention. It’s based on the same Kappa “architecture” – GM-speak for chassis – as the sporty Pontiac Solstice roadster, which goes into production later this year. While Sky will add about $5,000 to the base Solstice, it’s expected to be a significantly more refined and powerful vehicle.

The aggressive front end will be defined by the strong chrome crossbar grille with its integrated Saturn badge. With subtle tweaks, this will be the new face for all future Saturn products, according to General Motors design chief, Ed Welburn.

Sky’s stance will be long, low and wide, though the car’s actual footprint isn’t all that much bigger than the MINI Cooper. Short overhangs, with the standard 18-inch wheels pushed to the corners should further enhance Sky’s sporty appearance. The top is a quick-action manual.

A 2.4-liter Ecotec in-line four with variable valve timing will be the standard engine, for one thing, pumping out 170 hp. It will be mated to a short-throw five-speed manual transmission. A five-speed automatic will be optional.

The roadster’s suspension should also exceed expectations, considering Sky’s price point. It’s a four-wheel independent short/long arm suspension, with coil-over Bilstein monotube shocks for improved wheel control and road isolation. The Sky will boast hydraulically assisted rack-and-pinion power steering, and four-wheel disc brakes with ABS.

When Sky hits market, early in 2006, it will feature one of the more refined interiors to roll off a domestic assembly line, especially considering the price tag. The center console, for one thing, will trade the cheesy-looking black plastic found in most GM products for chrome and piano black.

-Coil-over Bilstein monotube shocks for excellent wheel control and road isolation
-Hydraulically assisted rack- and-pinion power steering for quick, responsive vehicle control
-Four-wheel disc brakes with ABS for excellent stopping performance
-Wide track width for excellent stability and superior handling
-Near 50/50 weight distribution for balanced handling feel
-Structural tunnel design and hydroformed longitudinal rails for a stiff body that results in greater vehicle responsiveness and better overall feel
-Hydraulic engine mounts for a smoother engine feel

Old 01-07-05, 09:32 AM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

wow, that is a really good step for saturn and i do agree that it does look very good especially for the interior. Never thought saturn could be a the next hawtness...crazy world.
Old 01-07-05, 09:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Shows you just how global the auto business is getting. Notice the Pontiac Toyota-sourced steering wheel and ignition switch. In fact, that is the same steering wheel (with different buttons) that is on my IS300. Pontiac (and Toyota / Lexus) uses that same stering wheel on several of its products....and now Saturn.

One other nice thing about this car is, that unlike the Pontiac Solstice, which will undoubtedly bring a dealer markup, Saturn dealers are banned from markups (or discounts) regardless of demand. Every Saturn sells for list...period.
Start saving your money, guys.............

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-07-05 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-07-05, 11:51 AM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn man, that's amazing! Looks somewhat like a baby Elise, VERY good thing. I'm not one to own flashy cars so this wouldn't be ideal for me but it is very good looking, and like mmarshall said, being based off the new kappa platform from GM it'll be brand new and hopefully continue on GM forward movement of better quality and driver dynamics.

James
Old 01-07-05, 12:38 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Nice looking car.
Old 01-07-05, 01:28 PM
LexFather

The press release may say the Aura (not loving the name) is a concept to show “how” Saturn would build a medium sized sports sedan. But this Pontiac G6 sibling will probably hit dealerships in a year’s time. And I don’t see why not. Besides the grill/symbol placement the car is a looker. I love the dual center rear exhaust and the interior looks very nice. The release also says it will come with a 3.6-liter 250 horsepower engine with a six speed automatic transmission with manual shifting. Now why doesn’t the G6 have that?! Click through for lots more pictures.

Old 01-07-05, 01:37 PM
Milla...

Wow something abot that center console reminds me of the acura TSX. I must say too that both of these cars take me by surprise.
Old 01-07-05, 01:48 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Not bad at all! I like them a lot. It'll be a pleasant surprise to catch myself in a daze over a Saturn on the roadways!

-Anthony
Old 01-07-05, 01:58 PM
LexFather

My comment These are awesome inside and out. Saturn needs this BADLY!

Old 01-07-05, 02:11 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ...

Hmmm....not a bad looking car. Not bad at all. Sorta reminds me of a Lotus Elise but with a nicer rear end
Old 01-07-05, 02:13 PM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

I'd hit that
Old 01-07-05, 02:17 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

wow, that convert looks a LOT like the Opel Vectra (sp). Future for Saturn looks good, because i would buy either one of those.
Old 01-07-05, 02:50 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

now if they just change the emblem. sexy car, but that nasty red emblem makes it less appealing, maybe that or its just the square. it dosent flow with the car
Old 01-07-05, 02:58 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, very impressive.

Looks like Saturn is stepping it up a notch. Finally.
Saturn has been struggling for a while now with offering decent products and they seriously need this for a revival.

It's funny how these Saturn products are being placed above their Pontiac counterparts. Saturn has either been level or even below the class Pontiac has been.

A Saturn that turns heads. Who woulda thunk it!
Old 01-07-05, 03:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The press release may say the Aura (not loving the name) is a concept to show “how” Saturn would build a medium sized sports sedan.
[IMG]
Yes........count me in on this one, too. Even though, like 1SICK, I don't particularly like the front end, I really hope that Saturn builds this....even more than the 2-seater Sky. Why? Almost ANY non-Chris Bangle sedan is better than that POS Ion. The Ion and the Pontiac Aztek, IMO, are both public embarassments.

Quick Reply: Saturn: The New Hawtness