Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

supercharged LS1 powered 911

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-05, 02:42 PM
99GS300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharged LS1 powered 911

http://www.toy-jet.ls1fun.com/photo.html

not a fan of the profile (needs some suspension work IMHO), but holy cow, talk about shoe horning a motor into a car!!!!
Old 01-07-05, 04:21 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

Over recent months I've tried to stick to my decision of not criticising what other people do, because hey, it's their life/money/etc.

But a Porsche is a Porsche. It's a complete package. Part of that complete package, a VERY important part mind you, is a boxer. Not an American V8.
Old 01-08-05, 05:53 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

why an ls1 engine in a porsche?...I am a purist so I am gonna have to agree....
Old 01-08-05, 10:12 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wantAnewLex
Over recent months I've tried to stick to my decision of not criticising what other people do, because hey, it's their life/money/etc.

But a Porsche is a Porsche. It's a complete package. Part of that complete package, a VERY important part mind you, is a boxer. Not an American V8.
I totally agree.
I wonder what this swap does for the weight distribution.
Old 01-08-05, 11:12 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Besides this disastrous swap........i couldn't stand those pesky "free Screensaver" pop-ups, so I just closed the page. I don't surf anywhere there are stupid pop-ups & definately won'y patronize any business with pop-ups. Sorry...........don't get me started on that mess.

As Richie said:
Old 01-08-05, 03:19 PM
R1MAN
Rookie

Yeah those pop ups made me leave the site too.
Old 01-08-05, 03:27 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Well I'm not a purist, that has to have an amazning power to weight ratio. I think it is pretty cool myself.
Old 01-08-05, 05:58 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

That's just a nasty thing to do to a 911. the air cooled 6 has PLENTY of potential without doing that.
Old 01-08-05, 06:47 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

I'm surprised to see so much criticism here... I've drooled over this car for quite some time now. If you're a "purist", then I can't really argue with you, but I really don't understand the frame of mind. Mix and match to create a dream car... sounds good to me!

Originally Posted by Richie
I totally agree.
I wonder what this swap does for the weight distribution.
"I decided to go with the LS1 because it is all aluminum (block and heads) and is lighter than my stock 911 engine and about twice the horse power.

As testimony to the LS1's lightness, my car went up one inch at the rear after the LS1 installation"

I think overall the engine weighs about 60 lbs less.

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
That's just a nasty thing to do to a 911. the air cooled 6 has PLENTY of potential without doing that.
And you'll still be working with 25 year old technology. Potential or not, if he had accomplished these levels of horsepower with the stock air-cooled 6, it just wouldn't be the same. Modding your car is about being different from the rest, and there sure aren't that many LS1 Porsche's running around. Also, doing what he did with the stock 6 would create a completely different power curve - maybe he prefers the way the LS1 pulls compared to the Porsche's 6cyl.

Originally Posted by RX469
Besides this disastrous swap........i couldn't stand those pesky "free Screensaver" pop-ups, so I just closed the page. I don't surf anywhere there are stupid pop-ups & definately won'y patronize any business with pop-ups. Sorry...........don't get me started on that mess.

As Richie said:
Disastrous swap? This swap is anything but disastrous... in fact it's quite successful.

Oh, and I'm glad I got a pop-up blocker then... and that was WantANewLex that said what you quoted... not Richie.

Just a question for the purists - do you also consider the new Lotus Elise to be a travesty because it uses a Toyota engine?

Last edited by Davtown; 01-08-05 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-08-05, 07:44 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Arrow

Originally Posted by Davtown

Just a question for the purists - do you also consider the new Lotus Elise to be a travesty because it uses a Toyota engine?
No. Lotus power has sucked for a long time (even though I love the very idea of the Esprit's 3.5L V8TT). But Porsche power does not suck to begin with. Toyota power is going to make for the best Lotus cars yet.
Old 01-08-05, 07:50 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

No. Lotus power has sucked for a long time (even though I love the very idea of the Esprit's 3.5L V8TT). But Porsche power does not suck to begin with. Toyota power is going to make for the best Lotus cars yet.
You purists and your crazy logic. I'll never understand
Old 01-08-05, 08:05 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

You purists and your crazy logic. I'll never understand
Well, Lotus understood that their engines sucked, so they turned to the premiere auto manufacturer to help them out. For all intents and purposes, the Elise is going to be the re-birth of Lotus in the US. Could you imagine if they sent boatloads of cars here with crap engines?

Besides, Lotus has a history of using other engines, especially Japanese power courtesy of Honda, in their race cars. Actually, much of Lotus' F1 success was due to Ford power. So there you have it.
Old 01-08-05, 11:15 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Besides, Lotus has a history of using other engines, especially Japanese power courtesy of Honda, in their race cars. Actually, much of Lotus' F1 success was due to Ford power. So there you have it.
good to know
Old 01-09-05, 02:25 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Lotus has always used engines sourced from other manufacturers in the Elise/Exige.
They do write their own management for it though.
The Toyota engine is a lot better then the Rover one they had in the previous generation cars.
Old 01-09-05, 03:24 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Woot Woot LS1!! Haha... i have a friend who just put an LS1/6 speed in a 3rd gen RX7... the LS1/T56 combo swap is VERY popular and VERY common. HUGE potential in these engines... and they're still workin with old school pushrod technology

Quick Reply: supercharged LS1 powered 911