Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford Fusion (stretched Mazda6)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-05, 11:48 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Fusion (stretched Mazda6)

DETROIT -- The arrival of the 2006 Ford Fusion sedan marks a new era of budget-minded product development at Ford Motor Co.

The Fusion, which debuted Sunday, Jan. 9, at the Detroit auto show, is the first of as many as 10 Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles being derived from a modified Mazda6 platform.

The Fusion and two sister sedans, the Mercury Milan and Lincoln Zephyr, go on sale this fall.

Spinning several vehicles from one platform was the only way Ford could refill its product pipeline after its financial crisis.

The automaker has said it is investing about $1 billion into the Mazda6-derived family of vehicles. By contrast, automakers typically spend $1 billion on a single new-car program.

Despite the slimmed program costs, Ford product planners are counting on the Fusion to revive the brand's lackluster North American car business.

"Everything flows forward now," said Phil Martens, Ford group vice president of product creation.

"We rebuilt the business model" with the Fusion program, Martens said.

Despite shared components and development costs, Ford engineers tweaked the Mazda6 foundation.

The Fusion is 30 millimeters wider and 55 millimeters longer than the Mazda6, with the extra length in the rear seat. Engineers also pumped up the brakes, stiffened the structure and tuned the Fusion for softer ride and handling, chief engineer Brian Vought said.

Fusion volume is expected to reach as much as 160,000 annually, said Ben Poore, Ford car marketing manager.

Other Ford sources suggest that volume could eventually approach 200,000.

The vehicle's main competitors are the Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Chevrolet Malibu and Nissan Altima.
Ford isn't giving a price for the Fusion, but it is expected to come in around $18,000.

The car is available with a 2.3-liter four-cylinder engine or a 3.0-liter V-6. Transmissions include a five-speed automatic, five-speed manual or six-speed automatic. A 3.5-liter V-6 under development at Ford also could find its way into the Fusion.

An all-wheel-drive option will be added after the launch, likely in the second year. A gasoline-electric hybrid powertrain is coming in 2007.
since a bunch of foreign rebadged domestics have been posted around here lately......
Old 01-09-05, 01:41 AM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whatsup with the is300ish tail lights? other than that, it looks like that concept, the 427 or something like that?? but that was a v8 rwd car..
Old 01-09-05, 05:26 AM
biker
Lead Lap

The issue will not be the looks or style - it will be the fit/finish and reliability.

Look for the Fusion at a Hertz near you.
Old 01-09-05, 11:38 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by biker
The issue will not be the looks or style - it will be the fit/finish and reliability.

Look for the Fusion at a Hertz near you.
lmao!!!! Yeah, a nice effort but not class leading.

Old 01-09-05, 11:44 AM
fhumphrey04
Driver

Hey atleast ford has upped the bar a little with their interiors between the new mustang, f150, and now this.
Old 01-09-05, 11:49 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by fhumphrey0
Hey atleast ford has upped the bar a little with their interiors between the new mustang, f150, and now this.
No one is taking anything away from Ford. They are bringing much better vehicles to the market.

And welcome fhumphrey0, I recognize you from the RSX board.

Old 01-09-05, 12:02 PM
fhumphrey04
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
No one is taking anything away from Ford. They are bringing much better vehicles to the market.

And welcome fhumphrey0, I recognize you from the RSX board.
Oh hey! lol I hang out there all the time

I didnt really think anyone was takin anything away from ford, I am just proud that the american market is finally spending more than $50 on the interiors

edit: I just realized that I forgot to put a '4' on the end of my SN, is there anyone who I could possibly get a hold of to change it? lol Im so stupid haha
Old 01-09-05, 12:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by fhumphrey0
Oh hey! lol I hang out there all the time

I didnt really think anyone was takin anything away from ford, I am just proud that the american market is finally spending more than $50 on the interiors

edit: I just realized that I forgot to put a '4' on the end of my SN, is there anyone who I could possibly get a hold of to change it? lol Im so stupid haha
Yes, it will be taken care of. Remember that next time u try to log in. Again, welcome to Clublexus.

Old 01-09-05, 12:12 PM
fhumphrey04
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yes, it will be taken care of. Remember that next time u try to log in. Again, welcome to Clublexus.
Thanks

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
Old 01-09-05, 05:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by fhumphrey04
I agree the F-150 has a really nice interior, especially for a truck, and the new Mustang GT has a pretty nice-looking if somewhat plasticky interior. But the new Mustang V6 interior? No way....it is cheap IMO to the point of actually being offensive. It is probably the worst interior of any new vehicle I saw at the D.C Auto Show last week...even worse than the $9000 Chevy Aveo econobox.
Old 01-09-05, 05:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

with the exception of the Escape / Mariner Hybrid, Ford and Mercury this year seem to be concentrating on some long-overdue updates, redesigns, and new introductions for regular cars and wagons instead of trucks and SUV's.
Old 01-10-05, 12:59 AM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Altezza is calling... they want their lights back.
Old 01-10-05, 01:24 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

God ford you SUCK! That car (except for the back) was orginally a 6-speed V10 called the Ford 427 like 3 years ago. Of course ford had to go put some dinky engines in it and add another mid sized sedan to there fleet as if they don't have enough already.

I hate ford but... I liked it as the 427 and its still ok now.

Funny story they wanted to call this car the "Furtura" but a company already had the name copyrighted, the funny part was... they made tires for ford.