Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura RDX Concept Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-05 | 04:00 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

i am huge acura's fan and i own an acura. but i have to say this car looks pretty horrible. i like the back tho. but the front is just horrible.
Old 01-10-05 | 04:41 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

If it can be had with the 260hp engine I would be interested. I love my new RX330 but it's just a little too big and a little too slow for my taste long-term. My wife loves it, so I plan to give it to her when I find something else.
Old 01-13-05 | 01:04 AM
LexFather

Old 01-10-06 | 09:14 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Lightbulb New Info

2006 Detroit Auto Show: Acura RDX Prototype
Source: Acura

Editor's Note: We'll post more information as soon as the press conference ends.

•Worldwide prototype debut
•Entry premium SUV
•Features an all-new 2.3-liter i-VTEC four-cylinder turbocharged engine - the first application of forced induction technology in Acura history
•Exclusive i-VTEC Turbo technology generates 240 horsepower with 260 lbs-ft of torque
•First application of Acura's Super Handling All Wheel Drive system (SH-AWD) on a SUV
•Built on an all-new global light truck platform
•Equipped with the Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) body structure
•5-speed Sequential SportShift automatic transmission with steering wheel mounted paddle shifters
•Standard front, side and side curtain airbags plus roll-over sensors
•Exterior features include custom 19" alloy wheels, HID headlights and rear spoiler
•Interior features include Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition, AcuraLink satellite communication system with real time traffic and HandsFreeLink wireless telephone interface
•Premium Acura/ELS DVD-Audio surround sound system
•Innovative functionality: 60/40 split rear fold flat seats, large lockable center console storage unit
•A production version of the RDX will go on sale in the summer of 2006 and will be assembled at Honda of America Manufacturing in Marysville, Ohio

Old 01-10-06 | 12:50 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Looks pretty nice. No manual?
Old 01-10-06 | 01:08 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

Nice interior minus the Honda Civic steering wheel. The exterior looks horrible. I dont know what they were thinking about this model. Power sounds nice but the Rav4 specs are superior. Maybe this turbo engine will be applied to the TSX.
Old 01-10-06 | 04:09 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by magneto112
Nice interior minus the Honda Civic steering wheel. The exterior looks horrible. I dont know what they were thinking about this model. Power sounds nice but the Rav4 specs are superior. Maybe this turbo engine will be applied to the TSX.
That would be awesome.
Old 01-10-06 | 04:14 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Now that is a great observation! lol

This thing will be
2. Built off the CR-V (Which I think is Civic car based?)
The RDX uses it's own exclusive platform. It is called the Global Light Truck Platform and it's new from Honda and Acura, the RDX being the first car to use it. The CRV uses the Civic chassis. Read it in the press release.
Old 01-10-06 | 04:18 PM
LexFather

Features an all-new 2.3-liter i-VTEC four-cylinder turbocharged engine - the first application of forced induction technology in Acura history
•Exclusive i-VTEC Turbo technology generates 240 horsepower with 260 lbs-ft of torque
•First application of Acura's Super Handling All Wheel Drive system (SH-AWD) on a SUV

A turbo 4! Still not a V-6 but it shows they know they lack power. 260lbs torque, wow a Honda with torque!
SH-AWD on a SUV? Is it just me but why do they put such incredible tech in 2 cars that are not sporty?? Put it in a new coupe or a real sports sedan. SH-AWD in a SUV just promotes rollovers.

I think the outside looks cheap and horrible but the inside looks fantastic!

The Rav-4 pretty much goes toe to toe with this SUV and its a TOyota. Thank GOD Lexus won't rebadge any Rav-4s as Lexus soon.

I am sure this will be under or right at 30k, so Acura continues to brag sales are increasing while not pointing out, with the cheapest cars on the market.

Oh dear, I just read its being built in Ohio

Bottom line, being its an "acura" and the price will be cheap, it will sell like hotcakes.
Old 01-13-06 | 09:25 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Not a big fan of the exterior, but I'm impressed with the interior. I'd take it over the ugly X3 any day of the week.

The powertrain and torque figures are impressive.

No way that it'll start under $30k though.

My guess is a base price of $32,000.

What's wrong with being built in NA? The RX is built in NA and it does fine.
Old 01-13-06 | 02:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jrock65
Not a big fan of the exterior, but I'm impressed with the interior. I'd take it over the ugly X3 any day of the week.

The powertrain and torque figures are impressive.

No way that it'll start under $30k though.

My guess is a base price of $32,000.

What's wrong with being built in NA? The RX is built in NA and it does fine.
I didn't say North America. I said Ohio. Lexus has shown it can CONTROL quality, as the RX 330 is still the best quality SUV in its class.

teh same cannot be said for Ameican Made Acuras.

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
The RDX uses it's own exclusive platform. It is called the Global Light Truck Platform and it's new from Honda and Acura, the RDX being the first car to use it. The CRV uses the Civic chassis. Read it in the press release.
a "global" platform cannot be exclusive. hence the word global. I was wrong about it being based on the CR-V, though it will be built pretty much next to it.
Old 01-15-06 | 01:15 AM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
a "global" platform cannot be exclusive. hence the word global. I was wrong about it being based on the CR-V, though it will be built pretty much next to it.
It is currently exclusive to the RDX because it is the first and only car to be using it. Until Honda or Acura filters it down to another car, it can be said it is exclusive. Maybe the next generation CRV will be the next car to utilize the platform. I might be wrong but It would also be the first time an Acura chassis has been filtered down to a Honda car. Usually it is the other way around. As far as the current CRV goes, I don't see the RDX platform being built right next to it. the current CRV is built on the Civic chassis which is far from the new Global Light Truck Platform.
Old 01-15-06 | 09:25 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Post As for quality ...

According to Honda's website, the CR-V was produced in two locations prior to 2006 - Japan and the UK. They are shutting the UK facility down and moving production to East Liberty, OH. The East Liberty plant currently cranks out the Accord, Civic and Element.

I wouldn't expect serious quality issues at this plant. So the CR-V will probably not suffer much in quality with the transition.

This RDX vehicle will be built at Honda's Marysville, OH facility which currently produces the Acura TL and a few Accords (most Accords are built in East Liberty now).

Again, I wouldn't expect many quality problems originating at the plant in this case either. Honda has stringent quality measures in place at both plants. The TL, according to Consumer Reports is very reliable. And the Accord is always credited w/ a great reliability forecast.

My operations professor (at the Moore School of Business) recently spent time at the Marysville plant and has said that they run a tight ship.

M.
Old 01-15-06 | 09:39 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Old 01-15-06 | 09:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

i like the interior, it is busy, sure, but it looks nice, although I would preffer touchscreen. Also, gear shifter is weak. Nevertheless, great looking interior.

I am not sure how expensive will it be, since more powerful V6 Rav4 Limited costs 25k.

Quick Reply: Acura RDX Concept Pics