Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura RDX Concept Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-06, 09:53 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

and yeah, exterior pretty much sux.
Old 01-15-06, 10:51 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
and yeah, exterior pretty much sux.
yeah but the interior looks very, very nice.

Another I-drive controller!

Old 01-15-06, 04:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
yeah but the interior looks very, very nice.

Another I-drive controller!
yeah it does, looks great. (already posted it in post below).

Their I-drive thing obviously makes no sense - if you are going to put the controler next to the nav, logically, it would be more useful to make it touchscreen. But I guess they can look cool and save some money.

Luckily, most of the functions seem to be available via buttons anyway, so it is not like i-drive really.
Old 01-16-06, 12:27 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah it does, looks great. (already posted it in post below).

Their I-drive thing obviously makes no sense - if you are going to put the controler next to the nav, logically, it would be more useful to make it touchscreen. But I guess they can look cool and save some money.

Luckily, most of the functions seem to be available via buttons anyway, so it is not like i-drive really.
It appears to be the same nav system in the RL so this nav system is no joke. IMHO it is arguably the best around. I'm biased toward the Alpine navigation systems anyway though.

Honda's joystick version is definately no I-Drive. I strongly believe if Honda came out with their system before BMW there wouldn't be so much hate for the joystick type system. If you ever played around with the navigation system in the RL I bet you'd fine it is very easy to work with and the voice command is among the best in the business.
Old 01-16-06, 10:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
It appears to be the same nav system in the RL so this nav system is no joke. IMHO it is arguably the best around. I'm biased toward the Alpine navigation systems anyway though.

Honda's joystick version is definately no I-Drive. I strongly believe if Honda came out with their system before BMW there wouldn't be so much hate for the joystick type system. If you ever played around with the navigation system in the RL I bet you'd fine it is very easy to work with and the voice command is among the best in the business.
i am sure. But fiddling with controller will never be as intuitive as pressing the screen. Its cool for sure, but nowhere close as intuitive. Especially for non geeks. I am pretty much big geek, I also own an software company, yet in my Prius, I could care less about fiddling around with features like that (I do have fun with emanage and my profec boost controller on mrs :-).

Its cool, but not intuitive.
Old 01-16-06, 08:01 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

i am sure. But fiddling with controller will never be as intuitive as pressing the screen. Its cool for sure, but nowhere close as intuitive. Especially for non geeks. I am pretty much big geek, I also own an software company, yet in my Prius, I could care less about fiddling around with features like that (I do have fun with emanage and my profec boost controller on mrs :-).

Its cool, but not intuitive.
I hear you. Everything is such a trade off though. I have touch screens in my car and I love it, but hate all the fingerprints. What would be awsome is if Acura could simply utilize both the touch screen and joystick along with voice. The Alpine based system Acura uses in the RL and as I guess the RSX is already touch screen compatible. Acura already uses touch screen in other cars. Combine them all and it would be the best of everything. I too would move the control joystick down though. Probably in the center console area so you don't have to move you hand much to access it. I think BMWs placement of their control stick is perfect. Although the system could be much better
Old 01-16-06, 08:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I hear you. Everything is such a trade off though. I have touch screens in my car and I love it, but hate all the fingerprints. What would be awsome is if Acura could simply utilize both the touch screen and joystick along with voice. The Alpine based system Acura uses in the RL and as I guess the RSX is already touch screen compatible. Acura already uses touch screen in other cars. Combine them all and it would be the best of everything. I too would move the control joystick down though. Probably in the center console area so you don't have to move you hand much to access it. I think BMWs placement of their control stick is perfect. Although the system could be much better
I see. So basically, lets have control stick for looks and touch screen for usage? Sounds good :-).
Whenever someone rides in my Prius with me, while coming to stop i move it to "B" position - which basically means I pull its little joystick down once - and everyone looks in wonder and what am I doing now in this crazy car :-).
Old 01-16-06, 08:28 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

I see. So basically, lets have control stick for looks and touch screen for usage? Sounds good :-).
Whenever someone rides in my Prius with me, while coming to stop i move it to "B" position - which basically means I pull its little joystick down once - and everyone looks in wonder and what am I doing now in this crazy car :-).

Not just control sticks for looks. Certain functions are easily done by the joystock. The benefit is for those certain functions you don't have to reach all they way up to the screen to touch it. For things that are more burried into sub menus the touch screen is much faster. I know the laws say we not supposed to fiddle with the navigation while driving, but I personally like the screen higher up on the dash. I really do like the placement of the LCD screen on the RL and Infiniti Q. I'm not that large of a guy though so for me to reach the screen I have to lean forward a bit. This is where having a control stick close by comes in handy.
Old 01-17-06, 05:18 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Acura plant in Ohio has won many awards for initial and long-term quality. You would not BELIEVE the difference in quality from my CL (built in Ohio) and my old M Roadster (built in South Carolina). Aside from rumors and rumblings of transmission problems with some TLs (with the trannies imported from Japan and bolted on in assembly anyway), they have had no problems with cars or SUVs produced there.
Old 01-21-06, 05:58 PM
LexFather

Am I the only one here who finds it interesting that this year at the NAIAS, Acura and Mazda both released compact SUVs (or CUVs as they're now being referred to) with nearly identical engines? No doubt all the car magazines will be comparing these two vehicles in a few months.

2007 Acura RDX
2.3L turbocharged 4-cylinder
240 HP / 260 lbs/ft
SH-AWD (borrowed from the RL)

Source: http://www.japanesecarfans.com...0.004

2007 Mazda CX-7
2.3L turbocharged 4-cylinder
244 HP / 258 lbs/ft
Active Torque-Split AWD (borrowed from the Mazdaspeed6)

Source: http://www.japanesecarfans.com...4.001

THis is Acuras problem. They are making Mazda and Rav-4 competition, Honda should offer this, not Acura.

Old 01-21-06, 06:14 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

I have to admit, Exterior looks wise I think the Mazda looks better. Interior goes to the Acura. The 2.3L Turbo engine sure does sound sweet though. I wonder what other Honda/Acura cars this motor will find its way into. The TSX sounds like the perfect car for this motor. I also imagine there will be a lot of engine swaps using this motor in the future.
Old 01-21-06, 10:07 PM
LexFather

Both interiors are great, on par with each other

Old 01-22-06, 12:57 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Both interiors are great, on par with each other
I have to disagree with that. While the exterior similarities are shocking (and disappointing, since like you said Acura shouldn't be competing with Mazda), the Mazda interior clearly looks cheaper and less inspired to me.