Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

help on car history.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-05 | 08:40 AM
Chigga
Lead Lap

Default help on car history.

hey lads, I've found what I think is the right GS400, its a 99 black on black , 77k km or about 48k miles on the odo, I've seen quite few (only like 9 for sale in Ontario), and this was most satisfactory one so far, I did check the dealership from Better Business Bureau and it was fine, they've been in business for 25 yrs.

I drove the car with its summer tires on , which is Fuzion, I've never driven on those tires before, the tires had more noise than I expected, but the interior looked brand new and the paint was in amazing shape , same as under carriage, which compare to some others its in good shape, the price on the car we finalize was at $25k Cdn + tax. Which I think its a fair price compare to what MTO has for its retail value.

The problem occur here, the sales told me it's a 2 owners car, the previous owner lived awfully closed to his work so the mileage, right now I paid a conditional deposit on the car , the condition indicates that the deposit will be returned if I am not satisfy with the history of the car once checked by me. On used car package that I just got shows TWO leasing company, with nothing between them, which means direct interaction between them , first one is late 1998-2000, second is late 2000-2002, then comes in private owner.

Which I'm very confused as if it remain the same owner between the duration of 1998-2002? is it possible for the first owner to have 2 different leasing company thru out the 4 year period? Due to privacy law I cannot check between these two companies, I'm going to a Lexus dealership where the car was sold to check for service history later on in the afternoon.

Thanks.
Old 01-10-05 | 11:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

now i am no super expert on how these stuff work, but i think it's possible to have a car leased from two places by the same owner, it's just like changing the finance company. but i will leave the details to other experts
Old 01-11-05 | 08:53 AM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

Above average retail on that car is just under $20,000.00 (US), so it sounds like you bought it right. Wish I could help with the ownership issue. Good luck.
Old 01-11-05 | 09:44 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by Chigga
hey lads, I've found what I think is the right GS400, its a 99 black on black , 77k km or about 48k miles on the odo, I've seen quite few (only like 9 for sale in Ontario), and this was most satisfactory one so far, I did check the dealership from Better Business Bureau and it was fine, they've been in business for 25 yrs.

I drove the car with its summer tires on , which is Fuzion, I've never driven on those tires before, the tires had more noise than I expected, but the interior looked brand new and the paint was in amazing shape , same as under carriage, which compare to some others its in good shape, the price on the car we finalize was at $25k Cdn + tax. Which I think its a fair price compare to what MTO has for its retail value.

The problem occur here, the sales told me it's a 2 owners car, the previous owner lived awfully closed to his work so the mileage, right now I paid a conditional deposit on the car , the condition indicates that the deposit will be returned if I am not satisfy with the history of the car once checked by me. On used car package that I just got shows TWO leasing company, with nothing between them, which means direct interaction between them , first one is late 1998-2000, second is late 2000-2002, then comes in private owner.

Which I'm very confused as if it remain the same owner between the duration of 1998-2002? is it possible for the first owner to have 2 different leasing company thru out the 4 year period? Due to privacy law I cannot check between these two companies, I'm going to a Lexus dealership where the car was sold to check for service history later on in the afternoon.

Thanks.
Why not contact Lexus Canada head office, give them the VIN number & you will probably at least get service records & they can perhaps tell you if the vehicle has been in an accident. Failing that, before you buy this car, take it to your mechanic for an inspection (roughly $100 or so). If you live in the GTA area, PM me & I can recommend an excellent mechanic. Let me know & good luck!
Old 01-11-05 | 03:33 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

If the car is in good mechanical condition (have it checked out) then I wouldn't care if the car had 2 owners. If both took care of the car then I don't see why there would be problems with that.
Old 01-12-05 | 05:10 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Any news to report Chigga?