Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota FT-SX Concept Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-05, 03:35 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toyota FT-SX Concept Vehicle

Toyota Unveils FT-SX Concept Vehicle at 2005 North American International Auto Show

01/10/2005

January 10, 2005 - Detroit, MI - Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., unveiled the FT-SX concept at a press conference today at the 2005 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS).

"The FT-SX concept was developed to explore a totally new genre to help create a bolder, more decisive image for Toyota," said Don Esmond, senior vice president and general manager, Toyota Division. "It is a concept aimed at young families looking beyond the traditional passenger car or SUV and boomers seeking a stylish and refined reward vehicle."
The FT-SX concept was developed by Calty, Toyota's North American-based, research and design center located in Newport Beach, CA and the TMS Advanced Product Strategy Group. The team was assigned the task of creating a vehicle combining the ride comfort, handling, and fuel efficiency of a sedan with the utility, spaciousness and visibility of a car-based SUV.

"With the FT-SX, we studied the finest attributes of Toyota's successful passenger cars and SUV's and took it to the next level," said Kevin Hunter, vice president, design and studio activities at Calty Design Research, Inc. "We began with a totally new silhouette and package, lower and wider than an SUV, but taller, more comfortable, and more versatile than a sedan. Add a powerful V6, all-wheel drive, 21-inch wheels, four doors, a large, multi-function glass roof and an innovative rear hatch and you have a vehicle with exceptional functionality."

The exterior design concept of the FT-SX was the creation of 30-year-old Calty designer, Ian Cartabiano, who also designed the all-new 2005 Toyota Avalon. When undertaking the FT-SX project, Cartabiano envisioned a powerful design that would create excitement for both young families and empty-nest boomers, with a fresh styling identity for the Toyota brand.

The exterior theme of the FT-SX is bold, simple and powerful. At more than 15 feet in length, over six feet in width and over 5 feet in height, the FT-SX delivers a stance that is both sleek and imposing.

The face of the FT-SX is an all-new expression for Toyota. Defined by the alignment of the headlamps, Toyota badging, and grille, the new "T-Face" establishes a memorable design theme for Toyota's future. The headlamps connect seamlessly with a bold new grille. Deep hood sculpting is achieved with unbroken lines elegantly sweeping down from the upper edge of the A-pillar, through the grille, and down the bumper, wrapping back around the front wheels, giving the FT-SX a wide, dynamic image presence.

The profile of the FT-SX is long and sleek. A dramatic, arching roofline conveys versatility, while a fast angle, "coupe inspired" greenhouse and D-pillar suggest sporty performance. Clean and unadorned, the strength of the modern profile flows from center to rear, tying in wide, sculpted wheel well flares. Strong rocker character lines wrap around the entire car, providing a look of stability. The beltline's unbroken, razor sharp edge carries back to the exhaust.

In the rear, the tail lamps sweep around the beltline to emphasize a wide, stable stance. The FT-SX features a clean and taut surface accented by a full width exhaust in the lower bumper. A smoothly integrated rear wing extends from the belt line continuing the body side motion past the rear glass.

The innovative rear hatch offers three opening options. The upper glass hatch pivots up; the lower hatch pivots down; and the glass roof has two panels which slide towards the center, not only creating a useful loading opening, but also doubling as a rear sunroof. The door handles are subtly integrated into the beltline and open the clamshell doors at the touch of a button. Deep, acrylic lamps house new LED technology to provide a "surface-through" image. Two-piece detailed 21-inch wheels provide a counterpoint to the clean body theme.

The inviting interior was created by Calty designer Alberto Palma and exudes luxury, comfort, utility, and practicality. The fresh look is achieved with natural woods, soft leathers, and durable metals. The interior features a new sense of space defined by a "60/60" feeling for the driver and front passenger. This is achieved by overlapping seat elements that create individual space giving each the impression his space is dominant. A "flying speedboard" gauge cluster surrounds the driver with a sleek, sporty design that (like the exterior) seamlessly flows into the door and around the interior. The armrests are integrated into the seats, eliminating clutter and creating a living-room effect.

The rear cargo area is designed to fit every need, displaying a high level of quality and refinement. A loading tray automatically extends when the lower hatch is opened to assist in loading large and heavy objects.

"The FT-SX is the emotional and powerful result of our exercise in defining a new genre and potential product direction for Toyota," said Hunter. "Its surprising utility, powerful design, innovative features, and luxurious comfort create the passion necessary to fulfill the requirements of its buyers in a fresh new way. In short, the FT-SX is a vehicle that delivers the best of both worlds."

###

TOYOTA FT-SX CONCEPT VEHICLE PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATIONS

POWERTRAIN

3.5 Liter V6

DIMENSIONS (inches)

Overall Length: 187.4

Overall Width: 74.4

Overall Height: 61.0

Wheelbase: 114.2

Wheels: 21 inch

Tire Size: 255/45 R21

The FT-SX is the supposive concept version of the next Highlander from what I have heard...

Old 01-10-05, 03:36 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Old 01-10-05, 03:40 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Quite nice for Highlander replacement. The clever rear door design can prove to be very useful in tight parking spaces.

Heh that new 2GR-FE is like the VQ for Toyota, to be used everywhere now. Not that it's a bad thing, though.
Old 01-10-05, 03:57 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this car is so hot! let's hope it will make it into production. i would def buy one to replace my RSX.
Old 01-10-05, 03:59 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Quite nice for Highlander replacement. The clever rear door design can prove to be very useful in tight parking spaces.

Heh that new 2GR-FE is like the VQ for Toyota, to be used everywhere now. Not that it's a bad thing, though.
From what I have heard, the 3MZ-FE is going to be phased out and the 2GR-FE will "rise" as Toyota's new corporate V6.

So long MZ-FE family, you have served us well during your 11/12 year stint, but it's time to show Honda and Nissan that Toyota is truly capable of producing a world class V6 engine

-Michael-
Old 01-10-05, 04:14 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down

Holy hell that is disgusting. It should be burned to the ground and we should never speak of it ever again.
Old 01-10-05, 04:28 PM
C-Train
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wantAnewLex
Holy hell that is disgusting. It should be burned to the ground and we should never speak of it ever again.
i agree. the front...
Old 01-10-05, 04:30 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wantAnewLex
Well, it's a Toyota. It's a family utility vehicle. So I guess putting the focus on practicality rather than sexiness works just fine for its potential buyers.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 01-10-05 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-10-05, 04:36 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

but it's time to show Honda and Nissan that Toyota is truly capable of producing a world class V6 engine
How do you figure? Toyota has been producing world class engines for a long time including their V6's.
Old 01-10-05, 05:01 PM
Koma

The low stance of the vehicle makes me think Dodge Magnum...
Too bulky
Old 01-10-05, 06:48 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
How do you figure? Toyota has been producing world class engines for a long time including their V6's.
There isn't really a V6 that Toyota has ever made that has stood out like Nissan's VQ or Honda's J35 (I believe that's the engine name). The MZ-FE engines have been good enough but have lacked the serious punch and performance that the VQ offers, and at the same time aren't really as polished overall as Honda's 3.0L/Acura's 3.2L V6. The VQ can get rough and loud at the top end, whereas the 3MZ-FE is notoriously quiet and smooth, but Honda's J35 gets sweeter and smoother the higher you go and delivers gobs of power at the top end. I like the torque in the 3.3L, but the fact that it runs out of steam much after 5K RPMs isn't overly fun from an enthusiast's perspective...it's fun to hit that jackpot at the end of the RPMS when merging onto the highway or just nailing it. Instead, you get a sudden surge of power that then runs out and then you have to wait for an upshift to get more power. Just not as pleasing as the VQ or J35 in that department...

Sludge has been an issue, and as much as Toyota wants to deny it, I worked in a Toyota service department and can promise you that it really has very little to do with oil changes on the customer's part. The 5SPD AT has also had it's share of issues and the delayed throttle response takes a good bit of fun out of mashing the gas pedal from a stop. The car sort of eases forward and then digs into the pavement and goes. The VQ goes into a tire squealing frenzy when you mash the accelerator (in ANY model) and the 3.3L kind of hesitates, and then gets moving.

The VQ is more powerful and more robust, the J35 is more polished and more rewarding to ring-out, and also returns better MPG than the MZ-FE engines. The 3MZ-FE is just sort of "there" IMO. It's definitely a cut above the Duratech and some of the other domestic V6s, but just doesn't match the J35 or VQ overall. if I had to choose any one V6, it'd be Acura's 3.2L V6. Simply PERFECT.

It's definitely a good engine, but just not world class IMO. It's also pretty old though...dates back to 1994 I believe.

Having driven the new V6 in the 4Runner and Tacoma, I think the new V6 is a step above the 3MZ-FE. I know the applications are completely different in an SUV and Truckas opposed to a Camry or Sienna, but I really like the engine itself. It has a more powerful, throatier grunt to it, the power delivery is more linear than the 3.3's IMO, and the engine itself just feels far beefier and more muscular than the 3MZ-FE. Again I know the 4Runner and Tacoma are far more different than any vehicle that utilizes the 3.3L V6 (most closely related would be the Highlander), but just judging by my seat time in say a 4Runner and a Highlander back to back, the new V6 feels like something more capable of competing with the VQ and J35. The fact that the Avalon will be so completely, 100% different from a 4Runner or Tacoma and the actual engine will be somewhat different, this whole paragraph is probably illegitimate

Just my opinions.

-Michael-
Old 01-10-05, 08:09 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

i dont kno what you guys are talking about... that thing us UGLY!

looks like a cross between a magnum and a civic hatch.
Old 01-10-05, 09:17 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

The 5SPD AT has also had it's share of issues and the delayed throttle response takes a good bit of fun out of mashing the gas pedal from a stop.
Well the whole point of Lexus & Toyota trannies are refinement and seamless shifting. Sure there are the complaints of the lagging tranny, but I think that's something a little more livable than tranny failures in a host of vehicles sharing the same tranny. Not agressive jerky shifts as the 4spd/5spd auto trannies that are prone to failure in an assortment of Honda and Acura models.

I still find the sludge issue an interesting topic. There are pretty hard 95k miles on my 99 Solara SE V6 5spd and I have yet to have a sludge issue. My previous 95 Avalon I had about 105k miles on the odometer before I got rid of it, no sludge issue. Call me fortunate.
Old 01-10-05, 09:21 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Having driven the new V6 in the 4Runner and Tacoma, I think the new V6 is a step above the 3MZ-FE. I know the applications are completely different in an SUV and Truckas opposed to a Camry or Sienna, but I really like the engine itself. It has a more powerful, throatier grunt to it, the power delivery is more linear than the 3.3's IMO, and the engine itself just feels far beefier and more muscular than the 3MZ-FE.
Well if you think about it, 4.0L vs a 3.3L. You're comparing a larger displacement engine with a different tranny gearing. Kind of a lopsided assessment if you ask me. Different class different purposes.

I understand what you're trying to convey. The GR series is new tech where as the MZ is old tech. But you can't discredit MZ series of engines which did set the standard for V6 refinement, smoothness and OBDII standards. The 1MZ-FE did qualify to be the first production engine in the world in 93 for a 94 model that was OBDII compliant.

Last edited by flipside909; 01-10-05 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-10-05, 11:31 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Like the taillights!

Quick Reply: Toyota FT-SX Concept Vehicle