Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The most spectacular places in the country to drive and enjoy it

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-05, 06:43 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would add four more to the previously mentioned spectacular drives:

First, the Blue Ridge Parkway. It connects with the Skyline Drive at the southern termination point of the Skyline and continues south to Cherokee, North Carolina. I have always thought the Blue Ridge was more spectacular than the Skyline because of the higher elevations. Taking this trip in the Spring when the rhodedendrons and wild azaleas are blooming is really a sight to behold.

Second, the ride on US 550 north from Durango, Co. through Silverton and on to Ouray. If you're a steam train buff like I am, you can time this drive to start when one of the trains leaves Durango. The road parallels the railroad track for much of the distance to Silverton, and you can stop and get great views and photographs of the train and the mountain scenery.

Third, the drive on US 89A south from Flagstaff, Az. through Oak Creek Canyon and on to Sedona. The elevation drop gives you great views for photography. The red mountains are very scenic. Anyone who makes this trip should also continue on through Cottonwood and on to Jerome. How this town has stayed on the side of the mountain never ceases to amaze me.

Fourth, the Going to the Sun highway through Glacier National Park in Montana.
Old 01-13-05, 06:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by CUMan
:

First, the Blue Ridge Parkway. It connects with the Skyline Drive at the southern termination point of the Skyline and continues south to Cherokee, North Carolina. and on to Jerome.
I mentioned them both in my opening statement....they are interconnected. Skyline Drive refers to the northern part within Shenandoah National Park. IMO, it is the longest continually scenic road system in the country and far and away my personal favorite.....though, as I stated in my opening post, the California Coastal Highway is probably the most glamorous and gets the most photography....especially in car advertising.
Old 01-14-05, 02:22 AM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im with mmarshall, Blue Ridge is the most beautiful drive I have ever done Love the mountains, winding roads, foliage.. Its gorgeous, a drive everyone should do @ least once. Ive done PCH(San Diego to Santa Barbara) which is great too, as well as a lot of other beautiful drives in various places.. but Blue Ridge is #1 to me Found an awesome restaurant on top of a mountain called Larrys(in Va. if memory serves correct) too.. best Southern-style food Ive ever had in my life!!!

Last edited by JAC JZS; 01-14-05 at 03:23 AM.
Old 01-14-05, 05:45 AM
Lvangundy

Don't forget route 66..