Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

500 HP!...wait...from a Ford Focus???

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-05, 06:58 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default 500 HP!...wait...from a Ford Focus???

to all ye who said/think it cant be done...think again...

http://www.seanhylandfocus.com/

Old 01-11-05, 06:59 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

anything can be done...... whether or not i'd do it................ well.
Old 01-11-05, 07:03 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

yes, but think about it, buy a first year Focus ZX3/5spd(2000) for around $2,800 dollars, and drop this in for under 10,000. you now have a car that can take a Gen I Vette Z06 in the 1/4 for less than half the price, whats not to love?

i know i know, its still a ford...

that said, 1QWKLEX's IS300 is still a Lexus but it has 3X the amound of cash sunk into it that this would. now dont get me wrong, i would much rather have the IS300, possibly even in stock form, but for modding on a budget, thats your plan right there. parts for many cars are expensive, but they are abundant and cheap for the focus, almost as much so as the civic.

so you have an 11 second focus for under $12,000. loving it.

(please note, have NOTHING aganst toms IS300, its a FANTASTIC car. just an example).

however, you are entiltled to your opinion, and i respect that. i fo'sho would attempt this with enough cash and an extra car...

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 01-11-05 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-11-05, 09:21 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow! i was thinking 500hp from a crate motor or something but not from the original 4 banger. a hot hatch that can also be a hot rod... very impressive.
Old 01-11-05, 09:29 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

I took this pic at SEMA last year. Cobra engine in a RWD Focus. Probably not 500hp but still impressive.
Attached Thumbnails 500 HP!...wait...from a Ford Focus???-focus.jpg  
Old 01-11-05, 10:26 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Meh, i just think it is a cardboard box with tupperware accents. Ford's quality in cars scary. Trucks however....... I have had a new (and sometimes just new to me) ranger every year since 1997, and i love mine

Old 01-12-05, 07:24 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I'd go for the V8 swap.
Old 01-12-05, 01:43 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

but with a price tag of well over $30,000 for the S/C'd V8 Cobra swap, i would take the 4 cylinder...better power to $$ ration...
Old 01-12-05, 01:56 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd skip the Focus all-together.

At the end of the day, it's still a Focus. This is the problem.

And if anyone here has owned or worked on a Focus, you know what I mean. And if you are really educated you know what the Focus and it's reliability have to do with Ford complying with CAFE guidelines...

The Focus is a dangerously cheap car built with the ulterior motive of selling more trucks. Be very afraid.
Old 01-13-05, 09:06 AM
WhiteTiger
Lexus Champion

Nice work to get 500HP, actually 459.5 at the rear wheels. But try to take a turn in it, that will add to the pricetag, as well as a brake upgrade if you truly want to be somewhat secure in the car. Then of course we have a tranny and rear upgrade (more $$), otherwise they will need to be replaced soon enough if you decide to drive the car aggressively.

And the really bad part is that when you leave the bar at night (even though you have more HP for the $$), most of the time, the chick would still rather get in the 350-400 HP Corvette.
Old 01-13-05, 09:46 AM
talgrl626
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by WhiteTiger
Nice work to get 500HP, actually 459.5 at the rear wheels. But try to take a turn in it, that will add to the pricetag, as well as a brake upgrade if you truly want to be somewhat secure in the car. Then of course we have a tranny and rear upgrade (more $$), otherwise they will need to be replaced soon enough if you decide to drive the car aggressively.

And the really bad part is that when you leave the bar at night (even though you have more HP for the $$), most of the time, the chick would still rather get in the 350-400 HP Corvette.

hahah yup,,, and there really is no point to race focus with a vette unless it's on the drag ... i think whitetiger really hit a point here.. general public, especially most of the girls, heck even u guys, wouldn't u rather be cruizing with ur bud in a vette? i dun have that much to bash about american cars actually. in fact, contrary to some of you, i 've heard enuf stories to be lead to believe that american cars are not terriblely unreliable.
Old 01-13-05, 12:52 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Nice work to get 500HP, actually 459.5 at the rear wheels.
try again, thats to the front wheels. 500 to the crank. the V8 swap with a few goodies will put down over 700 to the rear, in a car thats all motor (completely stripped for racing weighs less than 2,200 lbs) would be too hard to control, i would rather have the FWD Turboed Zetec. that motor is bulletproof. i had one in a contour that had nearly 400,000 miles on it. i couldnt kill it.

and dont get hung up on the focus being a bull**** car, its not built to lexus quality, but then again what is? honestly? how can you even compare a lexus to a ford? you cant. the ONLY reason i was comparing the focus to a vette was purely HP #'s, all said and done i woudl rather have a vette too, because of the name, the amentities and the looks you get. but purely for #'s and fun of building it i woudl take this over a GEN I Z06 any day of the year.
Old 01-13-05, 01:29 PM
talgrl626
Lexus Test Driver

the ONLY reason i was comparing the focus to a vette was purely HP #'s, all said and done i

true true true. i think it's very well worth the money. and it also puts the sleeper jacket on

u r rite, we shouldn't be nip picking about the comparison on reliability or imagine.
Old 01-13-05, 02:51 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

imagine this:

An all stock on the outside Sapphire blue metallic ford focus (no body kit), lowered, tinted windows, 17 inch rims, exhaust are the only thing that differentiate this from the the original on the outside...

Its 230 AM, You pull up next to a vette Z06 at a stoplight at the bottom of a 2 lane onramp to a 4 lane freeway and rev your engine...Immediately, he turns to you and laughs...rightly so, you are challenging him in a focus, but he wont be laughing long. You look back, and point at the light through the sunroof. He acknowledges with a rev to about 3K. you look at the light, and rev her up to 3.5. light tunrs green and BAM your off like a bat out of hell. take 1st to 40 MPH and double clutch it into 2nd with a PFSHT of the BOV and a chirp of the tires. You are ahead of him now by a bumper length, but its not over yet...as you accelerate through 2nd, you begin to pull away. you shift at 55MPH into 3rd and the both the BOV and the tires hit harder. In the rear view mirror, you can make the side of his car, your rear bumper is now dead even with his front...now in 3rd and accelerating, you glance at your boost gauge, you are maxed as you slam it into 4th at 100. You stand on it once again and with a last chirp of the tires and BOV noise you meet with the main freeway. you can now see his front wheel well in the rear view...and you are still pulling away as you shift seamlessly into 5th at 130...

at 145 MPH you flash your hazards and begin to slow down, he flies right by you. he takes the next exit and you follow, and at the stoplight, you get props for your amazing race, and a "What the F*** is under your hood???"

now thats a sleeper.
Old 01-13-05, 04:21 PM
talgrl626
Lexus Test Driver

imagine this:

An all stock on the outside Sapphire blue metallic ford focus (no body kit), lowered, tinted windows, 17 inch rims, exhaust are the only thing that differentiate this from the the original on the outside...

Its 230 AM, ....

armyofone... that sounds like dale carnegie course's magic formula. have u ever attended that course?

Quick Reply: 500 HP!...wait...from a Ford Focus???