Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Beauty Contest: GS430 vs. M45

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-05, 07:43 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 301 Likes on 181 Posts

Here are the images that 1SICK posted. I just inverted the M45 and resized it so that you can see how similar the cars look.
Old 01-09-05, 08:28 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to say it again. The exterior of M is nicer
Old 01-09-05, 09:28 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LB Lex
I agree with you in general, but I saw the red one in person and the tailights look just right. A silver one was parked right next to it and it did look a bit weird. I would have to see how it looks in other colors. From picturs, I'm really feeling the bluish one, looks real hot
That's the picture that made me think I'd really like the looks of the GS. I even called my friend, who coincidentally is named Eric, and started telling him how hot I thought it looked.

All changed upon seeing it in person. Maybe it'll look better in a non-silver color, or maybe it'll grow on me, but my first impression was that it was pretty mediocre.
Old 01-11-05, 02:27 PM
InfiniD
Driver School Candidate

Just another idea. The G35, M, and GS all have similar shapes. I know the G35 and M have a very low drag coefficient that is under 0.30. Maybe this general shape just works very well aerodynamically while allowing room for passengers, engine, etc. and that's why they look similar from the side. What do you guys think?
Old 01-11-05, 03:10 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

The GS looks big but the M looks smaller, really need to see them upclose.

The GS keeps the current engines except for that new V6 with 245hp so then in 2-3 years they will drop the new engines in it, so I'll lease and M45 then when that runs out I'll get a GS4 with the new engines
Old 01-11-05, 03:15 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Thats hot, but I'd like a V8 AWD
Attached Thumbnails Beauty Contest: GS430 vs. M45-2006-gs.jpg  
Old 01-11-05, 04:13 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EDGE2
Thats hot, but I'd like a V8 AWD
Then you should get a Caddy STS. The GS won't come with a V8 and AWD.
Old 01-11-05, 04:22 PM
talgrl626
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FLiP Sp33d
the gs has that elegant B pillar. the M has nicer headlamps. im not feeling the grille on the M.
the M has nicer headlamps

agreed, agreed. i also like the design concept of modern hot rod that goes behind the current gen m.

Originally Posted by biker
I vote for M exterior and GS interior.
me 2 me 2!

my comfort level in dealing with the grille is 100% good. the new gs, on the other hand, has not grown on me at all. nope, i haven't partaken in any kind of new-gen excitment yet... dun bark at me boys... i do think the interior of the new gs is not bad, but solely judging from the exterior beauty as this thread hollers, uh-uh.
no 'fense, no flame.

Last edited by talgrl626; 01-11-05 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-11-05, 04:32 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Then you should get a Caddy STS. The GS won't come with a V8 and AWD.
I may do that but that much money for a Caddy, is that you in the avatar
Old 01-11-05, 04:40 PM
talgrl626
Lexus Test Driver

can that dude in the avatar fit in a 3 serious? double doubt..
Old 01-11-05, 04:43 PM
iloveGS300
Driver

I think the M45 looks better than the GS but I would still purchase the GS because of its reputation for quality, rich interior, and luxury ride. The GS does look good in certain colors but compared to the competetion the styling is vanilla.

Robert
Old 01-11-05, 08:31 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

I am the exact opposite of my avatar.
Old 01-12-05, 12:28 PM
LexFather

from the M35 from the February issue of Automobile Magazine...

EXTERIOR
"But Infiniti still hasn't made the turn down Easy Street. Step outside the M, and behold... what? A generic Asian-sedan shape with a big, bland rear bumper, a C-pillar kink borrowed from BMW, and a handsome grille plastered with a logo that's largely meaningless to America's luxury-car buyers. At first glance, you might think the M35/M45 is a gussied-up Nissan Maxima or Altima. This car has lots of style, but it's generic style. Infiniti surely has learned from the FX that captivating design, combined with world-class engineering and performance, is its ticket to the big time."

I agree. I think the exterior is nice but the usual Nissan shape. The GS, look at how curved the sides are to the slab sides of the M. And the grill belongs on a SUV. The rear lamps, we all know. Its not ugly, a good shape, but IMO, not sure how people think its so gorgous. The GS is not perfect, the rear is too short for me and I prefer the split tails instead of what looks like Gen 1 tails.

Old 01-12-05, 04:23 PM
DrewSRX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
from the M35 from the February issue of Automobile Magazine...

EXTERIOR
"But Infiniti still hasn't made the turn down Easy Street. Step outside the M, and behold... what? A generic Asian-sedan shape with a big, bland rear bumper, a C-pillar kink borrowed from BMW, and a handsome grille plastered with a logo that's largely meaningless to America's luxury-car buyers. At first glance, you might think the M35/M45 is a gussied-up Nissan Maxima or Altima. This car has lots of style, but it's generic style. Infiniti surely has learned from the FX that captivating design, combined with world-class engineering and performance, is its ticket to the big time."

I agree. I think the exterior is nice but the usual Nissan shape. The GS, look at how curved the sides are to the slab sides of the M. And the grill belongs on a SUV. The rear lamps, we all know. Its not ugly, a good shape, but IMO, not sure how people think its so gorgous. The GS is not perfect, the rear is too short for me and I prefer the split tails instead of what looks like Gen 1 tails.
Everything is a compromise, some parts of the cars are good, some are bad, etc...

Automobile Mag really liked the handling and interior of the M saying that at last it has come close to being the Japanese BMW. And the interior is on par with Mercedes-Benz and better than Cadillac.
Old 01-13-05, 12:16 AM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

i got to see both up close at the LA autoshow. The M has more presence and it looks alot better. When i was looking at the gs, alot of comments i heard from people is that the current one looks better and that the new gs from the side looks almost exactly like a maxima. Both are nice, but the m looked better. The interior on the GS they had on display didnt look that nice. Didnt look as refined as the current one. Lots of plastic

Quick Reply: Beauty Contest: GS430 vs. M45