Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Beauty Contest: GS430 vs. M45

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-05, 06:50 AM
marcpitch
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting to hear your feedback. I will be buying one of there cars sometime this year and the M has gone from a comfortable first place to a slight 2nd place, compared to the GS. Of course, all things may change when I see both cars in early Feb. at the Philly auto show.

The lines of the GS are growing on me, along with the very nice wheels on the GS430. I don't like either set of wheels for the M and the profile looks kind of plain all of a sudden. I was sour on the new GS when I first saw it, thinking it was too much like the current GS. However, if you see the cars side by side, you realize there is a great improvement in the body style...or at least a difference.

Lastly, I am not excited about any of the new M's color choices...maybe silver or diamond graphite....I am, however, excited about a Flint Mica (dark grey) GS430.

I love hearing from those who have seen, in person, one or both cars...only makes me that much more anxious to see them myself. Thanks for the posts of those who have witnessed both of these very nice 2006's.
Old 01-13-05, 07:16 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The GS and M look nothing alike even from the side.

The GS is far superior looking IMO.
Old 01-13-05, 08:17 AM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DrewSRX
Everything is a compromise, some parts of the cars are good, some are bad, etc...

Automobile Mag really liked the handling and interior of the M saying that at last it has come close to being the Japanese BMW. And the interior is on par with Mercedes-Benz and better than Cadillac.
Exactly. I wonder why this was left out in the quote
Old 01-13-05, 09:09 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Xenthar
Exactly. I wonder why this was left out in the quote
Look, if you want to continue startting mess, your stay here in 2005 wil be a short one.
The rest of the article was left out b/c in this thread, we are talking about styling.

Old 01-13-05, 10:15 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary

I am the exact opposite of my avatar.
A skinny white dude with lots of hair?
Old 01-13-05, 10:32 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

From the 2 pictures above it's no way possible a person can tell me the gs looks better than the M. In the picture the gs looks like the front end is a little to long. IMO
I'm sure the Lexus is probably going to get more attention than the M. Toyota definitely knows how to advertise. I can wait to see these 2 vehicles in person.
Old 01-13-05, 10:38 AM
LexFather

Well, again, to me, the M35/45 looks like the usual Nissan shape, nothing spectacular. I think some of the hype is simply, Nissan fans finally have a V-8 sedan to look truly forward too. At least its not ugly or bland. They played it safe and hopefully for them, buyers respond. I just love the price of it.

Old 01-13-05, 10:45 AM
rogers2
Racer

I just think the M looks a lot meaner! I actually hate the way the altima looks but the g35 coupe is sex on wheels.The GS is nice especially the old version but the new one is more like ok. I actually wish the new gs was smaller.
Old 01-13-05, 10:56 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rogers
I just think the M looks a lot meaner! I actually hate the way the altima looks but the g35 coupe is sex on wheels.The GS is nice especially the old version but the new one is more like ok. I actually wish the new gs was smaller.
The new GS is only .6inches longer than the old version at 189inches and change. The M35/45 is 192 inches long. Wheelbases are similar.
2 very strong contenders to wage battle against the Germans!

Old 01-13-05, 11:02 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't wait to see these two cars in person. I hated the M looks in the early pictures but the latest pictures look really good IMHO. I like it better than the GS. Then again, I hated the GS looks when it first came out but it does have certain good angles and I know it looks good modified from the photoshoped pics. This is a tough one. Like one or two others mentioned, right now I like the M exterior with the GS interior since I never really liked Infinifi interiors.
Old 01-17-05, 02:56 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I saw the new M and the new GS in person last week at the LA Auto Show- my boss and I agreed that the GS is terrific in person and has much more presence then the new M. Unfortunately, the new M looks too much like a big G35 sedan to me... but I won't deny the M is nice and has a lusty powerplant.

I have heard the Maxima/new GS "lookalike" comparisons, but to my eyes the GS looks nothing like the Maxima- it is an incredible car in person. As much as I love my 2000 GS 400, it wil eventually be replaced with the new GS!
Old 01-17-05, 05:39 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I saw the new M and the new GS in person last week at the LA Auto Show- my boss and I agreed that the GS is terrific in person and has much more presence then the new M. Unfortunately, the new M looks too much like a big G35 sedan to me... but I won't deny the M is nice and has a lusty powerplant.

I have heard the Maxima/new GS "lookalike" comparisons, but to my eyes the GS looks nothing like the Maxima- it is an incredible car in person. As much as I love my 2000 GS 400, it wil eventually be replaced with the new GS!

Ya, my jaw dropped when I gazed upon the new GS in person. One of the best cars ever designed. Period. The M45 is nothing compared to the 2006 GS.

Old 01-18-05, 08:03 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure if anyone has posted this write-up from careviewonline about the GS & M cars but its a pretty good read.

Industry Report: New Lexus GS and Infiniti M Go Head to Head in Midsize Luxury Shootout
Old 01-19-05, 06:01 AM
rogers2
Racer

Originally Posted by 2SAVVY
Not sure if anyone has posted this write-up from careviewonline about the GS & M cars but its a pretty good read.

Industry Report: New Lexus GS and Infiniti M Go Head to Head in Midsize Luxury Shootout
Nice find!
Old 01-19-05, 09:30 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

That was a great article Savvy!
I can read it now: Super Sedan Shoot-Out! GS430 vs M45 vs 545i vs E500

And I bet MOTOR TREND will be the 1st to do so!

I will have to reserve "Final Judgement" on both vehicles until I see them in person, but from what I've seen read, and heard, the M is gonna be hard to overcome...

Quick Reply: Beauty Contest: GS430 vs. M45