Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Beauty Contest: GS430 vs. M45

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-05, 02:09 PM
DrewSRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Beauty Contest: GS430 vs. M45

Beauty Contest: GS430 vs. M45

I have to admit, they are both really great looking cars. I think that overall, the GS looks a little more luxurious, while the M looks a little more sporting. IMO, the GS looks laid-back, like it wants to run at top speed down the Autobahn, while the M looks intense, like it wants to carve up the Nürburgring. Just my 2 cents...

What do you all think?

Old 01-08-05, 02:13 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ...

I'd have to see them side by side in person to really pass judgement. Judging by the pics alone, they are both very nice looking cars...but I prefer the sleeker front end of the GS in contrast to the hard-edged M45. Just my 2cents
Old 01-08-05, 02:29 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

the gs has that elegant B pillar. the M has nicer headlamps. im not feeling the grille on the M.
Old 01-08-05, 02:33 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

I like the new GS styling better than the new Infiniti.....both good looking cars, but the GS looks like it's moving when it's standing still.
Old 01-08-05, 02:33 PM
R1MAN
Rookie

Gs
Old 01-08-05, 02:44 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FLiP Sp33d
im not feeling the grille on the M.
I agree, it looks like is has teeth between the horizontal slats, which is not appealing to me.

Like Seize mentioned, I have to see these cars in person, but judging from the pictures the GS looks more solid and well-built.
Old 01-08-05, 03:47 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

Is anybody else noticing that their side profiles are almost identical? Who copied who? Or is this just becoming the industry shape?

GS430:
- I like the skirts better
- I like the body-colored sider mirror surrounds
- The front end is sportier, though I like the Infiniti's, as well

M45:
- The chrome accents adorning the car work
- Nice wheels (for both cars)
- I like the fender mounted turn signals that run with the door moldings

Overall, I've gotta give it to the GS. This thing has been nipping at our butts for quite a while now. I can't wait to drive one!
Old 01-08-05, 05:22 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think if they both had a car cover over them nobody would be able to tell which is which.

I kinda like the outside of the Infinity more(not saying much)but Lex interior is better.
Old 01-08-05, 05:43 PM
LexFather

We'll keep this open since many might not visit the gen 3 thread. Here is what I have compiled

Trying my best here for all to see the cars side by side. Its funny and amazing how details can be so different on these similar sized cars. I'd throw the Passat and Mazda 3 in 2 if I wasn't lazy and A6 since they share the same curved roofline.

Old 01-08-05, 05:44 PM
LexFather

Here is the design influence for Nissan/Infinit. The 2nd gen GS. They all look similar at a glance..
The curved roofline, sloping, short hood. Integrated, round, turn signals in the headlamps. The short trunk. The large doors. This is the inspiration of a new generation of cars.

The illigitimate sons.....
Infiniti G35
Inifniti M35/45
Nissan Teana
Nissan Altima
Nissan Maxima

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. And I think Nissan makes some good looking sedans now. The Altima, IMO, is the best looking.

Old 01-08-05, 05:45 PM
LexFather

Old 01-08-05, 10:02 PM
MoFunk
Driver

please tell me Inifiniti or Nissan or whatever apporiated the Lexus design...cause i would cry if Lexus was accused of 'stealing' designs again.
Old 01-09-05, 12:42 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

The Lexus didn't look right to me in person. I liked it from the pics before I went to the DC auto show, but when I saw it there it just looked downright boring. The front looks nice, I really like what they did with the headlights, but the taillights are atrocious (they should have done the same treatment to the rear quad lights as they did to the front ones) and the lack of a butt on the GS is as disappointing as the lack of a butt on a girl. I don't want it too big (on either, the car or the girl), but it just looks weird when it's... absent.
Old 01-09-05, 02:48 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Incendiary
but the taillights are atrocious (they should have done the same treatment to the rear quad lights as they did to the front ones).
I agree with you in general, but I saw the red one in person and the tailights look just right. A silver one was parked right next to it and it did look a bit weird. I would have to see how it looks in other colors. From picturs, I'm really feeling the bluish one, looks real hot
Old 01-09-05, 05:22 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Unless one comes up with an out there design like Bangle, you'll see cues in new cars that have been done before in other cars. There's just only so many ways you can bend sheet metal.

I vote for M exterior and GS interior.

Quick Reply: Beauty Contest: GS430 vs. M45