Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

ASC Helios 300C convertible - yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-05, 11:21 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ASC Helios 300C convertible - yay or nay?

A modern four-dour convertible. That's one interesting niche to fill...or is there really a market for it?

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autoshow.../A10-54272.htm

ASC makes room for four-door convertible

Auto supplier takes the Chrysler 300C sedan and customizes it for baby boomers.

By Anita Lienert / Special to The Detroit News

When Southgate-based auto supplier ASC Inc. created its Helios four-door concept convertible for the 2005 North American International Auto Show, it had consumers like Delores Hunter in mind.

Hunter, a 56-year-old Detroit retiree, said she recently got a ride in a friend's two-seat Chevrolet Corvette convertible -- and she didn't like it.

"I was really uncomfortable," Hunter said. "There was no room and I felt too low to the ground."

Maybe Hunter will be happier in something such as the spacious Helios.

ASC cleverly took a Chrysler 300C sedan and customized it for baby boomers who don't want to give up space and comfort when they buy a convertible.

The convertible-roof system on the Helios is amazing to watch in action. It folds in on itself automatically and stores into an 18-inch space behind the rear seats.

Passengers in the rear seat not only have a substantial amount of shoulder room, they can also partially recline the seat backs.

While the convertible-top system infringes some on the trunk space, ASC says it is still possible to store a couple of golf bags in the rear -- generally considered one of the critical measures of a convertible's usefulness.

Four-door convertibles have been extinct since 1967, when the Lincoln Continental convertible was on the market, according to ASC. But the company predicts they could enjoy a rebirth, especially when paired with a popular product like the 300C.

"We realized that baby boomers do not have a lot of choices when it comes to convertibles," said Marques McCammon, ASC's director of product and business planning.

"They are stuck in two-seaters. No one should feel as if they have to compromise. That's why we believe the market is ready for a four-door convertible."

ASC said Chrysler is aware of the Helios prototype but there are no plans for production.

The convertible-top system could also work on other large sedans, such as the Ford Five Hundred and the Toyota Avalon, ASC said.

Helios -- named after the Greek god of the sun who is often pictured driving his chariot from east to west -- is noteworthy for its structural breakthroughs.

ASC engineers installed a patent-pending cross-car steel bulkhead just behind the car's front seats. They say the bulkhead helps to keep the sedan rigid and quiet and also transfers the force of a side-impact crash away from the passengers. The bulkhead looks slightly unsightly, but it doesn't interfere with the ability of the front seat backs to recline.

A cool new navigation system also makes its North American debut on Helios. It's the Sony XYZ (pronounced "zee-zed") and it's the result of Sony's new collaboration with ASC. Unlike most navigation systems, which can be slightly disorienting and flat-looking, XYZ delivers three-dimensional, real-life images of what the driver sees heading toward a destination.

With the push of a button, the system can be removed and used at home. It serves double duty by storing thousands of songs, snapshots and videos. While on sale in Europe and Japan, the XYZ may not hit the U.S. market until the 2006 model year.
Old 01-14-05, 11:50 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Wow, for a 2 door I was going to say "yay" to go against the Bentley GT.
But a 4 door.............not that bad looking. Could this be a first for 4-door convertible?
Old 01-14-05, 11:56 AM
fhumphrey04
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow I dont think I have ever seen a 4 door convert and I think I know why.

Did you guys ever see the custom one that West Coast Customs did? Now that was a nice looking car!
Old 01-14-05, 11:58 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Gotta give it a thumbs up. I agree with the statement in the article that the market appears ready for another 4-door convertible. I would think there are quite a few dad's out there (myself included) tha would love to have a convertible and still be able to take the family/friends out in it!! Plus, I would be the coolest Dad in town if I could drive my 7 year old daughter and 4 of her friends around in a convertible and they can all sit comfortably!
Old 01-14-05, 12:57 PM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

nay. 4door converible
Old 01-14-05, 03:03 PM
fhumphrey04
Driver

This is the west coast customs one

Old 01-14-05, 03:06 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I've always like the idea of a 4-door vert. Problem is the aftermarket ones look awkward and I doubt any manufacturer would actually make one themselves.
Old 01-14-05, 03:11 PM
LexFather

Chrysler said they would not do it since the car will rattle and shake more than the QX56. The car was not built to be a convert.

Sigh, is it just me or I am tired of this car already? I was watching CNN and they were talking about autos and a newsreporter stated "Chryslers baby Bentley the 300C is helping turn things around"

Old 01-14-05, 03:58 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Chrysler said they would not do it since the car will rattle and shake more than the QX56. The car was not built to be a convert.

Sigh, is it just me or I am tired of this car already?
Yep - the 300 is totally played out.

Everybody and their mom has a 2.7 liter w/ the black plastic exterior trim.

M.
Old 01-14-05, 08:52 PM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Not feeling the whole 4-door convertible thing
Old 01-15-05, 12:08 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

nay nay (to satisfy the 10 character rule)
Old 01-15-05, 01:10 AM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by whipimpin
Yep - the 300 is totally played out.

Everybody and their mom has a 2.7 liter w/ the black plastic exterior trim.

M.
Well... that didn't take long

p.s. - nay
Old 01-15-05, 07:26 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Oh man that convertivle modded C is so hot. I love that look. Wish this would be released or is it already?
Old 01-15-05, 08:06 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 300

I think a sedan vert looks a little awkward. Looks like half the car was cut away. This car has had quite an impact on the auto industry. Poeple are talking about it everywhere. I'm sure there are execs sitting in board rooms trying figure out how to compete and steal sales back to their brand. The young guy who designed this car doesn't have to do anything else the rest of his career. He'll be known as the man who saved Crysler. Personally, I'm liking it more everyday. It has presence on the road. Haven't felt presence on the road since the days of the big body benz.
Old 01-15-05, 09:22 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Except for the cheap interior, I like the 300C in any form I've seen so far.

Quick Reply: ASC Helios 300C convertible - yay or nay?