Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Video - People from Minnesota suck at driving in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-05, 07:25 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with both you guys on the STOPPING situation, but the STEERING part was the one that made me wonder. ABS monitors the condition when a wheel locks-up; thereby, it begins to pulse the brakes. So, if the wheel is already sliding, the ABS system wil pulse the brakes. However, even if the brakes are modulating, traction has been compromised (i.e. locked wheel condition) leading to a NO STEERING result.

Cool...interesting when you stop to think through the result. Makes sense..thanks.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Correct....the only way you are going to stop in a reasonable distance on a really slick surface like ice, ABS or not, is with studded tires....and many places don't allow them.
People have to understand that ABS does NOT necessarily shorten stopping distances. It cannot overrule the laws of physics and give a tire more traction that the rubber compound in the tire is capable of. ALL it can do, and NO MORE, is prevent the wheels from locking up, thus keeping the car from sliding and giving the driver some steering capability while braking. But even in steering, the ABS system will not give the tires any more cornering ability on ice either...it all is dependent on the tire's limits. So, even with ABS, you cannot steer too sharply either because the tires still can slide sideways even though the ABS will not allow them to lock up going straight ahead. (That is where the electronic stability systems take over, if the car has them)
Old 01-15-05, 07:39 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

man, after watching this video i'm scared to drive up to Yosemite this weekend, although it is not snowing, the lexus gs300 especially the first gen gs seems to be terrible in snow. any tips guys? i have no traction control and i'm running Michilin MXV4 plus tires all around 225.
Old 01-15-05, 08:10 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmai22
man, after watching this video i'm scared to drive up to Yosemite this weekend, although it is not snowing, the lexus gs300 especially the first gen gs seems to be terrible in snow. any tips guys? i have no traction control and i'm running Michilin MXV4 plus tires all around 225.
Good luck!

... I was gonna say to use the handbrake if you start sliding but GS doesn't have it.
Old 01-15-05, 08:12 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

we have foot break instead. works in the exact same way. i'll try it out.
Old 01-15-05, 08:17 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tetra7
Okay I'm a bit confused.

Some of those higher end cars like the Jag and M class SUV should have ABS brakes, but when you see the video, there is absolutely nothing but the wheels locked up solid. Now correct me if i am wrong, but aren't ABS brakes designed to help you STEER out of the situation? Did I miss something?
I thought the same but I guess if all 4 wheels are locked up the ABS thinks the car is not moving
Old 01-15-05, 08:29 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Well the action of turning requires that there is friction between the tires and the road. Like I said earlier, Ice is basically a frictionless surface so the tires have nothing to grip to to pull the car around a corner. Even if the fronts turned, the back would probably just follow around ending up in an uncontrolled spin.

Cliff notes: You can't do anything if you don't have traction.

James
Old 01-15-05, 11:58 PM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Hahaha, yea, KARE11 is a TV station here. I never saw that on the news but that is hilarious. People here aren't that supid, there were just some really bad ice storms here lately. My SC got stuck at a stop light going up a 1 degree slant hill so I decided it'd be fun to do a burnout and go thru all the gears while in place which is exactly what it did. I was mad, so I stored it after a day in the ice. MN people aren't usually that stupid, that must have been a really bad intersection. The salt trucks are out like hawks ever since that first ice storm.
Old 01-16-05, 01:26 AM
mikeyboy
Lead Lap

what if theres a 16 wheeler coming or even a 20 ft uhaul truck man, thats FU*KING DANGEROUS. Wheres the damn salt , and how the hell can these idiots jump out their car doing 20mph, WTF HAS THE WORLD COME TO . They risk their lives 100x more by bailing ou tlike that. Can someone explain why these people dont gradually turn into the side walk which will and can stop tem eventually
Old 01-16-05, 09:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

[QUOTE=mmarshall]Correct....the only way you are going to stop in a reasonable distance on a really slick surface like ice, ABS or not, is with studded tires....and many places don't allow them.
/QUOTE]

I'm going to partially correct myself here......I forgot about chains. Chains will stop you quicker than just rubber tires alone, but not as good as studs.
Old 01-16-05, 09:37 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IVXX
Wait you guys don't bail out before you stop the car? Whenever I park my car in the driveway I just bail and let it crash into the garage door. It just makes more sense that way.
Me too.

M.
Old 01-16-05, 09:46 AM
mikeyboy
Lead Lap

Wait you guys don't bail out before you stop the car? That must be a Minnesota thing, I mean, theres a 5 mph bumper for a reason. Whenever I park my car in the driveway I just bail and let it crash into the garage door. It just makes more sense that way.

But Seriously those people are RETARDED your going to get more hurt jumping out then just staying in the damn car.
OMG thats too funny hahahhahahahhahahah im crying laughing so hard
Old 01-16-05, 10:57 AM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Looked into it a little more. That was Colorodo people jumping out of their cars. NOT MN

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_arti...?storyid=74125

I knew we weren't that stupid
Old 01-16-05, 03:11 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Whenever I park my car in the driveway I just bail and let it crash into the garage door. It just makes more sense that way.
Hahahhah

Originally Posted by guessd
Looked into it a little more. That was Colorodo people jumping out of their cars. NOT MN

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_arti...?storyid=74125

I knew we weren't that stupid
read the first few replies in the thread

This video is too hilarious..
Old 01-16-05, 05:53 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Glad to be in an area where it doesn't snow much at all.