Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Benz can really be arrogant. CLS is marketed as a 4 door coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-05, 07:21 PM
LexFather

Default Benz can really be arrogant. CLS is marketed as a 4 door coupe

Now don't get me wrong. I really like this car. IMO, gorgous inside and out and reviews state it is slightly sportier than an E55 to drive.

But Benz, get real. Its a sedan. Plain and simple. It has 4 doors. It doesn't even have suicide/trick doors like a RX-8. It has 4 door handles. It has 4 seats (many sedans can have 4-seats, this is nothing new).
I just saw the ad on T.V (watching the French Revolution on the History Channel) and I had read they would call it a coupe and it is true. And ridiculous.

Possibly Benz feels ridiculous making ANOTHER sedan with no where to go in the lineup. So they call it a coupe.

Its not a coupe. If that is a coupe, a SC 400 is a sedan. Or a 645 is a sedan. Those are coupes.

Yeah, miniscule but it really goes behind the thinking of this car maker. We will just call it a coupe and to hell with the fact it has 4 doors like the rest of our sedans.

And I still like the car and could rock it. But silly marketing, tricks are for kids....

Old 01-17-05, 07:34 PM
jhenty
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taken right from the benz website:

The CLS-Class redefines what a coupe can be. It offers expressive style, poised performance, a 4-seat cabin, but with four doors.

Dictionary.com:

A closed two-door automobile.

Somethings just not right here?
Old 01-17-05, 07:44 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

That's a good point. Think about it, I'm sure Benz would feel extremely confident if they could change the definition of an established automobile descritption. Hell, who wouldn't be?

I vow that I will never call it a coupe. And neither should anyone else.

James
Old 01-17-05, 08:12 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

who care about 2 or 4 doors. i would drive one in a heart beat
Old 01-17-05, 08:43 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I seem to remember that C&D had a different definition of what a Coupe was (because some car a couple of years ago was a 4 door coupe) - but you are correct, in searching the Internet, they keep referring to a 2 door automobile with less than 33 cu feet of interior space (and man that is a small interior!).

PS - I'll take mine in dark blue please.
Old 01-17-05, 09:13 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

it doesnt matter what they call it. It is one hooott car
Old 01-17-05, 09:16 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

they can market it as a scooter if they want... we all know, as well as the general buying public knows that 4 doors = sedan.
Old 01-18-05, 12:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i find it very ridiculous and stupid too, why would they try to call this car a coupe? the cl500 is a coupe, but the cls500 is NOT, it's a freaking sedan

when i first saw the car long time ago (last yr), with the host saying "the cls coupe", i was like wtf and asked my friend. we both couldn't figure it out.... and i guess we will never do.....

it's so funny how mb is trying to change the DEFINITION of a word itself......
Old 01-18-05, 12:55 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Kawasaki ad: "It's a car with only two wheels."
Old 01-18-05, 03:02 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LB Lex
Kawasaki ad: "It's a car with only two wheels."
:
Old 01-18-05, 04:14 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

It's just MB marketing machine trying to create precisely this kind of buzz.............the logic of this sort of marketing is: the more you think about it, the more likely you are to buy it.

And regardless of what it is, I'm gonna have to go look at one when time comes to replace the GS (much as it pains me to type that)!
Old 01-18-05, 08:47 AM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I just saw the ad on T.V (watching the French Revolution on the History Channel).
Off topic but i was watching the repeat last night at 1am but fell asleep about an hour in. Is it worth trying to catch it again?
Old 01-18-05, 09:11 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well it's marketing strategy by MB trying to distinguish the car from E class. I think they had hopes for creating the new segment eventually, but that is just not going to happen.

I think it's a bad marketing move. You can't change the meaning of a coupe just like that even if you are MB, people are not stupid.

I feel bad for MB salespersons who present the car to customers. Either customer will get offended cause someone is treating them like they have lack of intelligence and trying to sell them the sedan as a "coupe" or they will think that salesperson has no clue what he/she is talking about.
Either way it's not what Benz wanted probably.

I think that CLS will be a just another fad. It is hot when it's shows up and in matter of a year or two it will go down. Pretty much like most of the cars that didn’t have identified spot on the market like Thunderbird, Crossfire, Z8....
Old 01-18-05, 10:30 AM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

I agree that it's a lot ot ask. But, if you can have a 2-door sedan, as the automotive industry has for years, why can't you have a 4-door coupe? Change is a bit*^
Old 01-18-05, 10:42 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by mooretorque
It's just MB marketing machine trying to create precisely this kind of buzz.............the logic of this sort of marketing is: the more you think about it, the more likely you are to buy it.

And regardless of what it is, I'm gonna have to go look at one when time comes to replace the GS (much as it pains me to type that)!
I personally don't think it matters what MB calls the CLS500! More power to them if they want to call it a coupe. Does it really matter what the "English" dictionary definition is? No, this is marketing folks!

I don't know which car maker first made the 4 door sports sedan, but I would suspect that a lot of people would also have made comments such as how can a car maker call a sedan a sports car?? Well, sports sedans are a niche unto themselves now!

Guess what? The CLS500 sure "looks" like a coupe to me - look at that profile folks! Does it not remind you of a coupe? In fact this "4-door sedan" looks more of a coupe than many so-called "2-door" coupes. One very good example is the BMW M3. The CLS500 looks more of a coupe than the M3 IMHO . (I still think the M3 looks hot though)

More props to MB for calling this 4 door sedan a coupe! It sure looks the part. I am sure the sales people know this too well and will emphasize it when selling it. I really don't think any potential buyer's intelligence would be offended when a sales guy presents this car as a coupe.

The car looks hot and I have to second what our resident physician just said. If I was in the market for a new 4 door car, I would seriously consider the CLS500. It is one helluva car!

Quick Reply: Benz can really be arrogant. CLS is marketed as a 4 door coupe