Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All out WAR declared on the 3-series. IS 250/350 to debut in Geneva March 5th

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-05, 01:38 PM
LexFather

Default All out WAR declared on the 3-series. IS 250/350 to debut in Geneva March 5th

This is old new but very significant. From Lexus GM Danny Clements;
The new IS will be shown in March at the Geneva car show, where BMW AG will launch its new 3 Series car. "It's a little bit audacious on our part to go over there and show this car in their market," Clements said. But Lexus is struggling to build up its image and sales in Europe.

The 1st IS 300 was the first serious Japanese effort to battle the 3 series matching its I-6 and RWD with similar dimensions. Until the IS 300 came along, Japanese cars were marketed to battle the 3 (ES 300 with AVS and Infiniti I-30t, Acura Integra)but came up far short with FWD layouts and simply were not built with a Euro frame of mind. The IS won a comparison and always favored well in enthusiasts eyes and editors eyes. When the newer competition came (G35)out and BMW revamped the 3, the IS's acceleration was mid-pack to last. . In Europe the IS 200(Still a I-6) and 300 are raved for being real 3 series rivals with top quality. THe IS has won every quality award possible in Europe. The manual and sportcross came but sales were not near the usual Lexus success. The 3 series here has many varients. The IS was really only 1 model vs the 3 wagon, sedan, coupe, M3 and 2 different engine offerings. In Europe, you can get the 3 series with even more engine choices, some 28 VARIENTS of the 3!

Lexus acknowledged a couple years ago the next IS will battle the 3 with more engine choices and varients. We know of:
Sedan
Coupe/Possiible hardtop convert
Wagon
AWD coming
2 engine choices.

The IS never sold well but has a few things going for it.
1. Low age of owners. The avg IS 300 buyer is 30 years old. THis is unheard of for any luxury car maker and an ideal target as car makers hope these people would move up to GSs and LSs etc. These owners also modify their cars.
2. Lexus has NEVER, EVER missed 2 in a row. Lexus has always either learned from its own mistakes or competitors mistakes. For instance
A. No V-8 in the 1st gen GS. The 2nd gen GS was a giant improvement over that model.
B. The 2nd gen LS 400. Debuting in 1995, it did not spark the sales of the 1st gen. The LS 430 was a giant improvement again and the car has never been better.
C. ES 250. This car had the least time to get Lexus attention and it showed. The ES 300 made all forget about the ES 250.
3. Quality. People know that the IS is one of the most trouble-free and safe cars in its class.
4. A European child. The car will be sold worldwide, which means it has the attention of a world market when this car was built. Lexus wants it to succeed in Europe.

Lexus is being pretty bold debuting the IS 300 along the 3 series in Geneva. The 3 series is bread and butter in Europe and one of the most popular cars by image and by sales. I like this aggressive move as it shows Lexus is even more serious of taking on BMW as well as Benz. It shows peoples ignorance when they call Lexus the Benz chaser and Infiniti the BMW chaser when Lexus has been eyeing BMW since 1998 with the 2nd gen GS. Its just the LS/SC/SUVs/ES are so popular and simply overshadow Lexus performance cars. Lexus has been after BMW for some time now!

Finally, while we have seen pics of the new 3 (evolutionary) and IS pics simply have not been leaked. Which will either create a huge DAAAAAAAAAAAAAMNNNNN (think new Z06) when it debuts or a huge "oh" (think VW Jetta). Hopefully its the 1st reaction.

SICK

Old 01-19-05, 01:42 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great info great read

thanks for sharing

Last edited by T.L.W.; 01-19-05 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-19-05, 03:20 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
. . . Lexus acknowledged a couple years ago the next IS will battle the 3 with more engine choices and varients. We know of:
Sedan
Wagon
AWD coming
2 engine choices.

SICK
I heard they will have a 3rd engine choice (IS220d ? ) available in Europe. The diesel engine will be key to it's chance of improving sales success in Europe.
Old 01-19-05, 03:45 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great read, ver informative. Sick, did you write everything in the black font? If so, amazing writing, go start reviewing cars!

James
Old 01-19-05, 03:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jet864
Great read, ver informative. Sick, did you write everything in the black font? If so, amazing writing, go start reviewing cars!

James
Yes I did, thanks for the compliment!

Old 01-19-05, 05:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SexySC
I heard they will have a 3rd engine choice (IS220d ? ) available in Europe. The diesel engine will be key to it's chance of improving sales success in Europe.
Don't completely rule it out here either when we start getting clean low-sulphur diesel fuel next year. You're then going to see a lot more diesels for sale here. The only thing keeping them out of the U.S. now (except VW) is poor-quality diesel fuel and the public's continuing bad memory of the diesels of 20-25 years ago.
Old 01-19-05, 06:32 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

From Lexus GM Danny Clements;
The new IS will be shown in March at the Geneva car show, where BMW AG will launch its new 3 Series car. "It's a little bit audacious on our part to go over there and show this car in their market," Clements said.
I am flippin' out over here...that is straight GANGSTA on Lexus' part. The way I see it is this: The only reason Lexus would dare pull a stunt like this is because the new IS is going the be a complete rainmaker.

Rest of the write-up was great, Mike.
Old 01-19-05, 07:10 PM
03rxn300
Rookie

can't wait to see it
Old 01-19-05, 07:14 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Yeah that is straight up hood. But, sometimes you just gotta be real rude and ignorant to get your point across. Hopefully it doesnt back fire like Dave Chapelle in "When Keeping it real goes wrong".

But anyway, when we think we might be able to one up BMW they always out do themselves. Heres about 12 pages of stuff on the new 3 series. Enjoy.

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cf...013/bmw/1.html
Old 01-19-05, 07:27 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by magneto112
Yeah that is straight up hood. But, sometimes you just gotta be real rude and ignorant to get your point across. Hopefully it doesnt back fire like Dave Chapelle in "When Keeping it real goes wrong".

But anyway, when we think we might be able to one up BMW they always out do themselves. Heres about 12 pages of stuff on the new 3 series. Enjoy.

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cf...013/bmw/1.html
Thanks for the link. The 3 is simply, still the standard today in the entry level luxo market.

Old 01-20-05, 01:03 AM
biker
Lead Lap

The press day is March 1 so all the news should be out by then. I wonder how far apart the Lexus and BMW stands will be - they were within shouting distance last year.
With the IS220d available, the sales show increase quite nicely.
Old 01-20-05, 04:52 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

This is old new but very significant. From Lexus GM Danny Clements;
The new IS will be shown in March at the Geneva car show, where BMW AG will launch its new 3 Series car. "It's a little bit audacious on our part to go over there and show this car in their market," Clements said. But Lexus is struggling to build up its image and sales in Europe.

The 1st IS 300 was the first serious Japanese effort to battle the 3 series matching its I-6 and RWD with similar dimensions. Until the IS 300 came along, Japanese cars were marketed to battle the 3 (ES 300 with AVS and Infiniti I-30t, Acura Integra)but came up far short with FWD layouts and simply were not built with a Euro frame of mind. The IS won a comparison and always favored well in enthusiasts eyes and editors eyes. When the newer competition came (G35)out and BMW revamped the 3, the IS's acceleration was mid-pack to last. . In Europe the IS 200(Still a I-6) and 300 are raved for being real 3 series rivals with top quality. THe IS has won every quality award possible in Europe. The manual and sportcross came but sales were not near the usual Lexus success. The 3 series here has many varients. The IS was really only 1 model vs the 3 wagon, sedan, coupe, M3 and 2 different engine offerings. In Europe, you can get the 3 series with even more engine choices, some 28 VARIENTS of the 3!

Lexus acknowledged a couple years ago the next IS will battle the 3 with more engine choices and varients. We know of:
Sedan
Wagon
AWD coming
2 engine choices.

The IS never sold well but has a few things going for it.
1. Low age of owners. The avg IS 300 buyer is 30 years old. THis is unheard of for any luxury car maker and an ideal target as car makers hope these people would move up to GSs and LSs etc. These owners also modify their cars.
2. Lexus has NEVER, EVER missed 2 in a row. Lexus has always either learned from its own mistakes or competitors mistakes. For instance
A. No V-8 in the 1st gen GS. The 2nd gen GS was a giant improvement over that model.
B. The 2nd gen LS 400. Debuting in 1995, it did not spark the sales of the 1st gen. The LS 430 was a giant improvement again and the car has never been better.
C. ES 250. This car had the least time to get Lexus attention and it showed. The ES 300 made all forget about the ES 250.
3. Quality. People know that the IS is one of the most trouble-free and safe cars in its class.
4. A European child. The car will be sold worldwide, which means it has the attention of a world market when this car was built. Lexus wants it to succeed in Europe.

Lexus is being pretty bold debuting the IS 300 along the 3 series in Geneva. The 3 series is bread and butter in Europe and one of the most popular cars by image and by sales. I like this aggressive move as it shows Lexus is even more serious of taking on BMW as well as Benz. It shows peoples ignorance when they call Lexus the Benz chaser and Infiniti the BMW chaser when Lexus has been eyeing BMW since 1998 with the 2nd gen GS. Its just the LS/SC/SUVs/ES are so popular and simply overshadow Lexus performance cars. Lexus has been after BMW for some time now!

Finally, while we have seen pics of the new 3 (evolutionary) and IS pics simply have not been leaked. Which will either create a huge DAAAAAAAAAAAAAMNNNNN (think new Z06) when it debuts or a huge "oh" (think VW Jetta). Hopefully its the 1st reaction.

SICK
Good posting! I've seen 'sketch' drawings of the new IS but that's about it. Did I not read somewhere that it might be offered with AWD? & since Lexus is trying to get more market share in Europe, I assume they will offer a diesel engine in certain markets over there?
Old 01-20-05, 06:58 AM
mikeyboy
Lead Lap

Really interesting information
Old 01-20-05, 09:56 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the link. The 3 is simply, still the standard today in the entry level luxo market.
I'm curious to hear your opinion on the standards for the midsize and flagship (for lack of a better word) lux markets. 5-series and S-class? E-class and LS?
Old 01-21-05, 11:42 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Incendiary
I'm curious to hear your opinion on the standards for the midsize and flagship (for lack of a better word) lux markets. 5-series and S-class? E-class and LS?
I think its a little tougher. THe old 5 was the standard (E39). The new 5 simply is not anymore, the styling has its fans but it very offensive to many others, the interior is at the back of the pack and the price is even higher than before. The thing is, I didn't really see anyone pick up the title. Magazine reviews now all have their favorites, whereas the previous 5 was EVERYONEs favortie. If I had to choose one, it would now be the E-class. Wonderful stylng inside and out, they have AWD and wagon varients, there is the E55. It does everything well, the only downside maybe quality.

For the big luxo class, it would be the LS 430. It is simply recognized as the best built car in the world. It offers most everything the competiton has for less. It has fared either #1 or #2 in every review. It does nothing wrong. The 7 is sportier and the S has more prestige and more varients but the LS gets is right.

In Europe, I am sure the A8 or S would considered the class leader.

Quick Reply: All out WAR declared on the 3-series. IS 250/350 to debut in Geneva March 5th