Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Job + Car Allowance = what car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-05 | 06:00 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Ebanks
Not to insult any of the RX owners around here, but in my area of the country the RX is strictly a womans car.

I think if I were to by an SUV in that range it would be a used FX or possibly a used new body style v8 4-runner.

-Ethan
A stereotype imo.....I don't worry about what others think of the vehicle I drive, but everybody is different I guess. Perhaps ( the 'woman stereotype' if that is the case) that makes women smarter than men as it is a more practical vehicle than the others.....I'd take the RX too (perhaps that shows I have a 'feminine' or a softer side then as I drive an ES which is built off the same platform ) But whatever, I disagree

As for your other 2 choices, I'd get the 4 runner all day long over the Infiniti FX......much more cargo, still have Toyota reliability (the Infiniti has taken some hit's on the chin with this vehicle since it's been launched), re-sale value & a much nicer looking SUV.
Old 01-20-05 | 10:47 AM
Dixond
Pole Position

What about the Saab 9-2x Aero? Basically a WRX but w/o the gawdiness. Tuner friendly plus I think it looks pretty dang slick.
Old 01-20-05 | 11:29 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Not to insult any of the RX owners around here, but in my area of the country the RX is strictly a womans car.
LOL Don't let MMarshall hear you say that.

I do see where you're coming from tho. And I have to agree with the 4Runner suggestion. Amazing truck, fast, reliable, well-built, looks nice and the mileage isn't THAT bad...
Old 01-20-05 | 11:38 AM
LexFather

So I guess image and prestige are high on the list? Many people don't see the RX as a womans car. Some see it as someone with class and knows about fit and finish of a vehicle instead of trying to drive their SUV and feel they are in a Ferrari.

And yes, the new 4-runner is very nice, this truck has really grown on me.
Old 01-20-05 | 11:56 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Image and prestige? Get a MB C320 4MATIC. Period.
I'm surprised no one has brought it up so far.
Decent mileage in class (beats Legacy GT, G35x, A4/S4 but loses to 330xi). "Somewhat reliable" (since the S4 is on your list). Quieter cabin and more comfortable overall for your passengers (I never like riding in my friend's 330i...stiff leather, stiff suspension...).
You can get a new one below invoice today and it's cheap to lease too.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 01-20-05 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-20-05 | 12:36 PM
LexFather

The MAzdaspeed 6 will have AWD and 270hp+....A very nice car, under 30k new.
Old 01-20-05 | 12:46 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Lol.. Don't get so upset guys! Obviously I'm not that concerned with image, I daily drive a 92 Festiva!

-Ethan
Old 01-20-05 | 12:53 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
That would be a great choice, not flashy and pretty fast.
Nice sleeper, LOL.
Old 01-20-05 | 04:02 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
EXACTLY what i was thinking. Twin turbo, 2.3 i4, 6sp, low key style but still looks great, one of the best looking new cars under 30k imo
LexusFiend
Old 01-20-05 | 06:32 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

If this is a work car, then I have al

1. If your car is too nice, will your clients be more inclined not to give you the business since you seem to be doing better than they are?
2. On the other hand if your car is very nice, it does show success in your business field, which inclines people to think that you know what you are doing while giving the impression that your company is also larger than it maybe is?
3. If you don't really care either way, then this is also good, so get the best car you can get.

My experiences, since I have to visit clients in in my local sales territory:

1. My BMW 330i is too small to fit clients in the back.
2. I was thinking about a 5series, which is a perfect car for taking clients out, however maybe I want something a little more low key.
3. The Ford Taurus & Toyota Camry have always been reliable salesman cars, however I don't want one.
4. I was thinking a loaded 4Runner V8, although the gas mileage is not practical for travel, but WHO CARES? I like it, it's somewhat low key (not a luxury brand, but it's fully loaded).
5. I know you said the RX330 is perceived more like a female vehicle, but how about the Toyota Highlander?
Old 01-20-05 | 06:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I think I may end up working for my families business within the next 6 months and my salary will include a car allowance of $600/mo.

I need something that fits the following:

1. Decent highway mileage
2. AWD or 4WD for bad weather (I will make occasional sales calls to Colorado)
3. Somewhat Reliable (although ifI buy something CPO I would get a loaner if there were problems)
4. Looks respectable enough to take potential clients to lunch, etc.

Basically the way I look at it is that I need a car that fits the above in the $30k price range new or used, I don't really care. If it is used I would like something less than 5 years old so I can get a CPO one with an extended factory warranty.

Things I have/am considering.

1. Used 01 or 02 Audi S4 (or S4 Avant)
2. New or Used Crew Cab Nissan Titan (could tow my other cars if I went this way)
3. Used FX35/45
4. New or Used Tundra Crew Cab

I would consider a STi or Evo, but they are so gawdy I don't think I would want to take any clients out to lunch or anything in one.

Anyways, what other cars should I consider that I am not thinking of?

-Ethan

Get yourself a new 2005 Subaru Legacy or Outback....$20,000 to $30,000 on average.
This car is everything you need.....well-proven AWD, reliable, economical, relatively good-looking.....and it has a Lexus-grade interior for a Subaru price. The fit-and-finish on this car is jewel-like...it has to be seen to be believed, especially for the price. It comes in many forms....turbo / non-turbo, flat-4 or flat-6 engine, sedan, wagon, low-to-the-ground Legacy or higher-off-the-ground Outback....I'm sure there is SOMETHING you'll like in the series.