Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Job + Car Allowance = what car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-05, 09:30 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Job + Car Allowance = what car?

I think I may end up working for my families business within the next 6 months and my salary will include a car allowance of $600/mo.

I need something that fits the following:

1. Decent highway mileage
2. AWD or 4WD for bad weather (I will make occasional sales calls to Colorado)
3. Somewhat Reliable (although ifI buy something CPO I would get a loaner if there were problems)
4. Looks respectable enough to take potential clients to lunch, etc.

Basically the way I look at it is that I need a car that fits the above in the $30k price range new or used, I don't really care. If it is used I would like something less than 5 years old so I can get a CPO one with an extended factory warranty.

Things I have/am considering.

1. Used 01 or 02 Audi S4 (or S4 Avant)
2. New or Used Crew Cab Nissan Titan (could tow my other cars if I went this way)
3. Used FX35/45
4. New or Used Tundra Crew Cab

I would consider a STi or Evo, but they are so gawdy I don't think I would want to take any clients out to lunch or anything in one.

Anyways, what other cars should I consider that I am not thinking of?

-Ethan
Old 01-19-05, 09:40 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

i cant see taking clients to lunch in a truck... the FX is a viable choice... and from the looks of your list... its the only viable choice listed. there are plenty of other options though...
Old 01-19-05, 09:46 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Lol... If you were selling in Missouri/Kansas/Colorado/Nebraska/South Dakota I bet you could see taking clients in a truck Hell, those trucks I listed are more plush on the insides than most cars. I definately see your point though coming from CA, as 4wd trucks don't seem nearly as prevelant/normal there like they are here... Probably 2/3 cars you see on the road around here is a truck of some sort.

-Ethan
Old 01-19-05, 09:54 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

What kind of clients are we talking about here?? Because I noticed that you like the Tundra and Titan.

My recommendations are

A4/S4- and your choice too
3-series - screams successful young adult, the it car to have for the 20 year olds however kinda small and clients need to be driven around in something a little more roomier
new or used TL- but like we all know watch out for the tranny problems my best friend bought a 2000 TL last winter and it would be a great car for clietele
I assume that you have already considered a Lexus and ruled it out so im not going to recommend any.
G35 sedan/coupe - might be a little played out right now, but it will still get the job done.
New Maxima maybe also but why buy Nissan when you can have a Luxo name plate.
new Legacy - very sporty car and might be too loud on the inside(i hear the engine/exhaust is very throaty)
My pick is for the S60R not just because I work for them but its a sleeper car. It blends in with the other regular S60's but has a some crazy performance. And its AWD. It doesnt stand out like the M3.

Trucks would be

MDX - nice truck
RX330 - nice truck
XC90 - nice truck
used Range Rover - status symbol
used Land Cruiser - nice truck
FX45 - brute
X5 - nice
new Tacoma - nice
Titan - nice
Denali - nice and not gaudy like the Escalade, its classy my choice for truck.
Old 01-19-05, 09:56 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Have you considered an AWD RX? Or are you looking outside of the Lexus family...
Old 01-19-05, 09:58 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

woops sorry jsut noticed the AWD requirement. That rules out the TL and Maxima.
Old 01-19-05, 10:10 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

To be a bit more specific...

The clients are hospital admin and management, HOWEVER at smaller hospitals. For the most part we don't sell to huge urban hospital systems.

So, while these may be the top of the food chain at their particular hospital, they are also the type of people who will be a bit put off if I take them out in some flashy car since they are from more rural areas.

The S60R and G35 sedan AWD seem like those would be decent candidates as they both "blend in".

Does that make any sense? If not let me know and I will try and explain in more detail.

-Ethan
Old 01-19-05, 10:14 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

I'm thinking S60R, Legacy 2.5GT, FX, or RX330. If a truck is acceptable for clients to ride in i.e. not too high off the ground and that's the norm there, go with your gut.

James
Old 01-19-05, 10:22 PM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

why not a G35X? you can probably get a brand new 04 G35X fully loaded for 32-33k now. 6 months ago i got quoted 31k for a '03.5 G35 sedan fully loaded, nav,sports package,aero package,and preminum package, six speed.
Old 01-19-05, 10:37 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Seems like I may need to go test drive a G35 AWD sedan, S60R, and a Subaru Legacy GT Limited. If a nice CPO S4 comes up locally I may check that out as well.

I don't think any of those are TOO flashy or anything, and I should be able to get into all of them used for around $30k or less, and into the subaru new for $30k.

-Ethan
Old 01-19-05, 10:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Ebanks
I think I may end up working for my families business within the next 6 months and my salary will include a car allowance of $600/mo.

3. Somewhat Reliable (although ifI buy something CPO I would get a loaner if there were problems)

Basically the way I look at it is that I need a car that fits the above in the $30k price range new or used, I don't really care. If it is used I would like something less than 5 years old so I can get a CPO one with an extended factory warranty.

2. New or Used Crew Cab Nissan Titan (could tow my other cars if I went this way)
3. Used FX35/45

I would consider a STi or Evo, but they are so gawdy I don't think I would want to take any clients out to lunch or anything in one.

-Ethan
Dude if fuel economy is #1, your list is all wrong. None of those cars have reasonable gas mileage.
1. Very sporty car, higher maintenace
2. **** poor quality
3. Useless
4. Better but low gas mileage.

I'd recommend a Legacy, even the Legacy wagon. They are dealing them even though they are newly introduced. Can't go wrong with the RX 330, the standard for the class. Maybe a AWD A4 Avant, those are nice inside and out and have more cargo room than any FX.

Volvo is very blend in, even in S50R form. Just the name Volvo makes people think of as no one pretty much knows about the R model.
The G35x is a good bet too. But again both cars have no better gas mileage than a RX 330.

Old 01-19-05, 11:50 PM
brian3268
Lead Lap

Abcdefghij

Last edited by brian3268; 08-27-21 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-20-05, 04:54 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'd recommend a Legacy, even the Legacy wagon. They are dealing them even though they are newly introduced. Can't go wrong with the RX 330, the standard for the class. Maybe a AWD A4 Avant, those are nice inside and out and have more cargo room than any FX.

Volvo is very blend in, even in S50R form. Just the name Volvo makes people think of as no one pretty much knows about the R model.
The G35x is a good bet too. But again both cars have no better gas mileage than a RX 330.

I'd go for either the G35x or the Legacy (wagon or sedan) - or, if you're willing to take a reliability risk - then the Audi A4/S4 wagon or Volvo S60 or V70.

Some other "off" choices you might consider:
1. Saab 9-2x (it's an Impreza wagon with a slightly improved interior ... and I think it looks hot ... and they are not selling so you might be able to get a deal) though it's tad small.
2. Lincoln LS - not AWD but a nice car, generally ... AND you can get them on the cheap
3. Chrysler Pacifica (if you can stand the cheap-o interior) - they tend to be fairly reliable
4. Ford Five-Hundred AWD or Mercury Montego AWD - these are fairly large sedans that you can cop at a VERY reasonable price because they are not selling. While very boring, they ought to be fairly reliable. Also, they return pretty respectable fuel consumption ratings due to the anemic powerplant (19/26 city/hwy AWD). My only real beef is that these cars are shoddily constructed. It's almost worse than my '01 Nissan Sentra. But still, go take a look.

Good luck w/ the hunt!

M.
Old 01-20-05, 04:57 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Ebanks

3. Used FX35/45

-Ethan

Why not a CPO Lexus RX?
Old 01-20-05, 05:23 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Not to insult any of the RX owners around here, but in my area of the country the RX is strictly a womans car.

I think if I were to by an SUV in that range it would be a used FX or possibly a used new body style v8 4-runner.

-Ethan

Quick Reply: New Job + Car Allowance = what car?