Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bentley Continental GT Flying Spur

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-05, 06:06 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Bentley Continental GT Flying Spur

January 19, 2005

Bentley Continental GT spawns Flying Spur

Bentley released photos yesterday of the Continental GT-based Flying Spur. The new Grand Tourer will feature:

Supercar performance with a top speed in excess of 190 mph and a 0-100km/h time of around five seconds.

A 552 horsepower, 6-litre, twin-turbocharged, 12-cylinder engine, engineered and built at Bentley's factory in Crewe

A high-tech, all-wheel-drive system

A five or four-seat layout, with spacious rear leg room
Bentley says the new Continental Flying Spur "combines the exquisite design and peerless craftsmanship for which Bentley is renowned with the dynamics and power of the Continental GT to provide an unparalleled motoring experience that will attract a new breed of discerning customers to the marque."
The Continental Flying Spur shares the appearance of the Continental GT coupe with a short front overhang and dominant matrix radiator grille. "Inside the cabin, the car has a similarly stunning appearance with a beautiful interior that will stand as a benchmark thanks to its quality and craftsmanship."

Customers will have the option of a four-seat layout with a central console between two electrically-powered rear seats or a five-seat cabin with full-width rear seat. The interior features familiar Bentley trademarks with bullseye ventilation outlets and organ stop controls in the front and rear. Leather or wood veneers on every interior surface give a traditional yet contemporary environment.

Continental Flying Spur owners will want for nothing, whether behind the wheel or enjoying the ride as a passenger. The car is equipped with the latest cabin technology including advanced infotainment system and four-zone climate control.

Pricing will be similar to the US$149,000 Continental GT. The Flying Spur goes on sale in the Spring of 2005.

Source: Canadiandriver.com
Old 01-20-05, 06:10 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Their coupe by far kills this thing as far as looks. Actually to this I would like to say yuk.
Give me the Rolls. Hmmm if my eyes aren't playing tricks on me it seems as though I see some Linclon in there.

Last edited by Milla...; 01-20-05 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-20-05, 06:55 AM
mikeyboy
Lead Lap

I love the front.
Old 01-20-05, 07:16 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Styling isn't aggressive enough. With the engine it has it should be ripping more the 552 HP.
6.0 W-12 TT? With that kind of engine the body should be more touring-looking. Doesn't look classy enough to be a Bentley.
The GT is much better looking.

Last edited by DarchMage; 01-20-05 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-20-05, 08:27 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by DarchMage
Styling isn't aggressive enough. With the engine it has it should be ripping more the 552 HP.
6.0 W-12 TT? With that kind of engine the body should be more touring-looking. Doesn't look classy enough to be a Bentley.
The GT is much better looking.
Yeah I always saw Bently as more the sporty arm of the Rolls. I totaly agree it should be more touring like in design.
I don't see this being the choice video car thats for sure.
Old 01-20-05, 08:31 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Personally - I think it's sexay ... what Bently isnt?

But I can think of 3 cars I'd rather have - all for what it would cost to acquire just one of these.

A8 - 70
S2000 - 30
Legacy GT Ltd. - 30

I'd save 10 grand with that combo.

M.

Last edited by whipimpin; 01-20-05 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-20-05, 08:31 AM
LexFather

I'm going to say a couple things.
1. Welcome back SexySC!!!
2. I don't like how the Continental Coupe looks. Quite frankly, I think its a mess. Damnit though, it does look like a Bentley. It honestly doesn't look like anythign else on the road. And that is why I like this sedan. It has the 2 door styling cues but works well in the 4-door. And it very much so looks like a Bentley. And it also sperates itself further from Rolls Royce.
3. What a wonderful interior. Now that does make you feel like your car is worth 100k more than a perfectly fine LS 430 or A8. I can see the quality from here.
4. Performance. What an engine. Excess, that is what super luxury is about.

This car gets a big thumbs up even though, I really don't like it.

Old 01-20-05, 08:32 AM
LexFather

P.S- How long will it take Chyrsler to copy......

Old 01-20-05, 09:39 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blech! Dont like it! Boring styling for such an elite car. It appears to be trying for that elegant understatement but just fell flat. Needs some excitement.
Old 01-20-05, 10:07 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Agreed that the styling does not match the marque, the reputation, or the power.

It's Bentley price, performance, and craftsmanship gift-wrapped in low-end Jaguar style.

They are very close to having it perfect tho.
Old 01-20-05, 10:10 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by CleanSC
Agreed that the styling does not match the marque, the reputation, or the power.

It's Bentley price, performance, and craftsmanship gift-wrapped in low-end Jaguar style . . . . .
It's still a $150K car, but still considerably less than the $200K + Bentley Arnage. This new generation Bentley's are designed to be more bargain-priced, relatively.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 01-20-05 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-22-05, 05:08 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default 2005 Geneva: A German-made Bentley? It's possible for Flying Spur sedan

BRADFORD WERNLE | Automotive News Europe

Posted Date: 2/21/05

LONDON -- Every automaker would like Bentley's problem.

It starts production of the sedan version of its hot-selling Continental GT Coupe this spring. But if projections are true, it will run out of capacity at its factory in Crewe, England.

The solution? Use the excess capacity of parent company Volkswagen AG's Dresden, Germany, factory to build the cars Crewe can't build. The Dresden factory has excess capacity because the VW Phaeton is selling poorly.

The decision is awkward for Bentley, which is known for building all of its luxury cars by hand at Crewe. Bentley officials worry that German-made Bentleys might erode Bentley's upper-crust English image.

There are other challenges. If the cars are built in Dresden, Bentley would have to ship finished engines, woodwork and other subassemblies to Dresden from Crewe. That would present a complex logistical challenge, says Adrian Hallmark, head of marketing and public relations.

Bentley has said it would only build the Continental Flying Spur sedan in Dresden if it runs out of capacity in Crewe. It will introduce the production version of the Flying Spur at the Geneva auto show.

Bentley's rapid growth has strained the capacity of the Crewe factory. In 2003, before full production of the Continental GT Coupe, Bentley built just 790 cars. In 2004 it built 7,000, Hallmark says.

"Theoretically we have the capacity to build 9,000 cars at Crewe," Hallmark says.

Hallmark projects that Bentley would sell roughly twice as many sedans as coupes in the United States, Japan and Germany. If true, Bentley would quickly run out of capacity at Crewe.

The Continental GT Coupe is selling so well that Bentley is loathe to slow production to start ramping up sedans at Crewe. But he says Bentley will press ahead with a spring launch of the sedan at Crewe, even if it slows deliveries of the hot-selling Coupe, because it sees opportunities to win sales from other super-luxury competitors.

"If we're not in the game when they are, we are not in the game," he says. A decision to use Germany for the excess capacity would come soon, he says.

"We want only 5 percent of the market, but we want to take that from more established competitors," he says. Those competitors include the most expensive big cars made by Mercedes-Benz - the S500 and above - and BMW.

The all-wheel-drive Continental Flying Spur will be powered by a 6.0-liter, twin-turbo, 552-hp 12-cylinder engine built at Crewe. The Continental GT Coupe's U.S. sticker price is $162,285, including destination and gas-guzzler tax.
Old 02-22-05, 06:01 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I WANT THAT!!! And I want the Continental GT.
Old 02-22-05, 05:01 PM
timoc42
Lead Lap

rear end doesnt look very good... but i'll still take it!

tim
Old 02-22-05, 05:08 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't those back seats look so comfortable?

i bet the owners won't have problems with kids fighting over shotty

Quick Reply: Bentley Continental GT Flying Spur