Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

help, whats the best 3rd row suv

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-05, 06:37 AM
aldo23
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help, whats the best 3rd row suv

yes, i checked the searched engine, but what came back is "why the GX is a great car"

i need something a little cheaper, and i dont mind buying a year old..

so u guys w/ the kids or just a fan of big cars, whats the best suv, for a reasonable price?

thanks..
Old 01-20-05, 07:01 AM
mikeyboy
Lead Lap

Defintily not the expedition. I hate my truck.(BTW: its a 99)
Old 01-20-05, 07:21 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Post Third row seating, the marketing scam . . .

That third row in an SUV has a basic problem: the solid axle and differential require so much space that there's not any room for humans to dangle their legs. With a high cargo floor and low roofline, tall passengers back there have to sit peering out from between their kneecaps.

I had a few Suburbans over the years, and while the third row is not really for adults, it will seat two for short trips. Access is not very graceful, and it involves a lot of crawling on hands and knees. You also get the benefit of a half or three-quarter-ton pickup's outstanding ride, handling, and manuverability, not to mention economy, build quality, etc.

Overall, I'd say if you need passenger capacity, consider a minivan. Some recent examples are not bad, considering their utility.
Old 01-20-05, 08:20 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lil4X
You also get the benefit of a half or three-quarter-ton pickup's outstanding ride, handling, and manuverability, not to mention economy, build quality, etc.

Overall, I'd say if you need passenger capacity, consider a minivan. Some recent examples are not bad, considering their utility.
Exactly.

No offense Aldo - but get a van. The new Honda Odyssey (especially the Touring trim level) is nice; it would also more efficiently suit your needs than an SUV.

M.
Old 01-20-05, 08:23 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by aldo23
yes, i checked the searched engine, but what came back is "why the GX is a great car"

i need something a little cheaper, and i dont mind buying a year old..

so u guys w/ the kids or just a fan of big cars, whats the best suv, for a reasonable price?

thanks..
What the others have stated. Gotta go with the bigger SUVs here, Suburban, Excursion, buses of that size.

Old 01-20-05, 09:04 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Much as I shudder to type this, but I agree with Lil4X and whipimpin. A van handles and drives much better, has easier access to that 3rd row, & has more space efficiency. Plus gets about twice the mileage of any of the leviathans.

Odyssey or Sienna.
Old 01-20-05, 09:33 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We have an MDX and so far so good. The MDX is built on the Odyssey platform so the ride is pretty good, more car-like than truck-like. Although a little cramped, we've had kids and adults in the third row and no one has made a big fuss. My daughter has gotten a bit carsick recently sitting back there but she did not before. Not sure what the change is. None of the adults made the same comment.
Old 01-20-05, 12:20 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
We have an MDX and so far so good. The MDX is built on the Odyssey platform so the ride is pretty good, more car-like than truck-like. Although a little cramped, we've had kids and adults in the third row and no one has made a big fuss. My daughter has gotten a bit carsick recently sitting back there but she did not before. Not sure what the change is. None of the adults made the same comment.
Actually, I kinda gotten a little sick sitting in the 3rd row of my friend's yukon....pretty bumpy considering that it sits right on top of the axle/suspension, very jolty. I haven't sat in the back on the GX with the softest setting, so don't know
Old 01-20-05, 03:31 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Honda Pilot
You can get one with the rear entertainment for under $30K brand new. Holds its value and is very reliable. There really is nothing else in its class (foreign that is). Highlander has a joke for a 3rd row.
Old 01-21-05, 06:51 AM
Milla...

For anything even close to the ballpark of comfort you'll need a full size SUV if you go that route. Lexus does horrible with third rows in SUVs, Even my LX third row is pethetic. I would have to recommend the American big dogs to take care of that for you. Other than that its all about the mini van. Have fun.
Old 01-21-05, 07:38 AM
BUSTN
Instructor

You can always do a Ford PSD Excursion 4x4.With a lift and some nice wheel and tire package and some diesel tuning tricks, you can outrun alot of high performance cars.I am 6'3" and I fit in the 3rd row of the excursion.YOu can always go with a 2wd version and gas motor which is alot cheaper.Go with the V10, a supercharger is available.I can tow 11,000#'s with the excursion.The only problem is that it's huge.
Old 01-21-05, 09:13 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

All 3rd row seats in all SUV's are made for little ones. Don't know what the point is, plus I would not want to be sitting that close to the tailgate!
Old 01-21-05, 09:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BUSTN
You can always do a Ford PSD Excursion 4x4.With a lift and some nice wheel and tire package and some diesel tuning tricks, you can outrun alot of high performance cars.I am 6'3" and I fit in the 3rd row of the excursion.YOu can always go with a 2wd version and gas motor which is alot cheaper.Go with the V10, a supercharger is available.I can tow 11,000#'s with the excursion.The only problem is that it's huge.
I disagee with the Excursion. I have never owned one, but I was not impressed at all with the one I test-drove. The enormous weight gave you the feeling of a runaway battleship going down the Interstate. The suspension was way oversprung and underdamped, IMO. It pounded over bumps yet rocked up and down like a boat at low speeds and while braking coming to a stop. And, unlike the GM Suburban and Yukon XL, it only has a part-time 4WD system instead of an AWD center differential and torque-on-demand.
In fact, I'm not sure you need a vehicle this large at all. Unless you really have a large family, Honda and Toyota make several good reliable mid-sized SUV's, some with 3rd-row seats.
And, as previously stated, the Odyssey and Sienna minivans are also good alternatives.

Sorry, BUSTN....I'm not trying to be rude, but that is my impression of the Excursion based on my test-drive. I found it a very difficult vehicle to drive and sometimes unstable.
Old 01-21-05, 09:33 AM
Milla...

The only SUV with third row I can speak on outside of my own is the 02' Denali because I'm in my friends quite often, I've been in it with three children in the third row and three adults in the second, all was comfy me being in the middle. The third row was a nice thing to have otherwise one family would have had to drive their own car, so a decent third row is not pointless. Another the thing msilverIS mentioned regarding the third row was that of sitting to close to the tailgate, well its no better in a Mini Van in fact its probably worse because at least in an SUV your up higher out of bumper range in the event of a rear end.
Old 01-21-05, 10:09 AM
BUSTN
Instructor

I know the Ex' isn't for everyone.The problem I am having now is that my wife doesn't like it because it's too big for her.She loves everything else about it just getting in for her is hard.She's only 5'2".I personally love the Ex' and drive it more than the GS400.I am planning on a lift and some 35's on 20" rims.Here is a pic of a nice EX'.

Quick Reply: help, whats the best 3rd row suv