Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Traffic School (I'm in Cali)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-05, 10:52 AM
chinspot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traffic School

Hi Everyone,

I got a ticket last month and when I received the letter from the court it saying I'm not eligible for traffic school. Anyone know how to take the point away from my record ?? can I just go to the class anyway?

Thanks to everyone can help.
Old 01-20-05, 11:03 AM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

have you been to Traffic School in the last 18Months?
If Yes I heard of stories where you can still ask the judge for Traffic school regardless of being to Traffic school in the last 18Months.

I'm not sure but something like the following go to court for the ticket.

They will ask if anyone wants to take traffic shool. You say yes and the rest well you get the idea.
Old 01-20-05, 02:26 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stolen from the WAVE, I love the Wave

HOW TO ESCAPE A TRAFFIC TICKET
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Getting a traffic ticket is dependent upon many factors: why you got pulled over, the attitude of the officer, road conditions, the area, the tightness of your jeans – the list goes on. We don’t have any “get out of tickets free” cards, but we can help you minimize the pain and escape from The Man relatively unscathed.
You’ve been pulled over.
Officers usually decide whether they’ll give you a ticket before they even get out of their cars, depending on the severity of your offense. So, for the most part, opening your mouth will only get you in more trouble. Our best advice: Play dumb. Remember, you have the right to remain silent, and when the officer asks if you know why you were pulled over, admit nothing. You may think you’ll get karma points for being honest and admitting your crime, but rest assured that the long arm of the law will take your honesty, club you over the head with it and take a couple hundred bucks from you in the process. Don’t get confrontational. We shouldn’t need to tell you this, but it’s best to comply with anyone holding a nightstick and a gun. It also helps to cry and/or be really sexy.

You’ve been given a ticket.
By now, you’ve probably received something in the mail with your outstanding debt to society, as well as the option to pay it by mail or go to court. You still have two more stops before you have to cough up any dough: the arraignment and, if you plead “not guilty,” the trial. Evaluate your situation. Do you have a fair case that could make the judge question the officer’s decision? The classic “radar detector wasn’t calibrated” defense is extremely weak, so make sure you have something good. If your case isn’t strong, don’t mail your fine in – go to court and plead “guilty.”

Often, the judge will lower your fine significantly. If you’ve got a good case, plead “not guilty” and schedule a future court date. It’s go time.

You’re going to court.
Do your homework. You’re allowed to request the notes the officer took when you got your ticket, so call the police department to make the request and build a solid defense. Remember, while you’re concentrating on this one case, the officer has a jillion other things on their mind, so if you can crush any claims they make in their notes, you own them.

Contact the National Motorists Association (phone: 608-649-6000; web: www.motorists.org) and see if you can get some free advice on how to fight it. They’re here to help.

Super-stealth *****-tactic of fury: Call the police department and find out when your officer is on duty. If the officer works days, reschedule your court date for a time when they’ll be on duty. If the officer works nights, reschedule for a time when they’ll be asleep. If your cop no-shows, you win by default. For even more fun, move your case to another court. Example: If you got your ticket in San Mateo and work in San Jose, call the San Mateo court and have your case moved to San Jose; just tell them it works better with your schedule and work situation. Cross your fingers and hope your cop has other things to do and doesn’t care about you enough to drive all the way to San Jose and fight you.

You’re in court (cue Perry Mason theme song).
Dress nice. A judge is more likely to give slack to someone wearing a suit than someone in a Cannibal Corpse t-shirt and leather chaps. Be polite and play innocent. The cop is going to be on the attack, since you decided to drag them all the way to court to fight the ticket instead of just mailing in a check like all the other good citizens who are unaware of their rights. You can never call the judge “Your Honor” too many times. Showing remorse is a plus.

http://www.thewavemagazine.com/pageg...rticleid=22306
Old 01-20-05, 02:36 PM
chinspot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I've been to traffic school last year ... I got stopped for speeding on local st... the cop is hiding with radar gun ... I was driving side by side .. and the cop let the other car go because my speed is a little faster than him .. that suck ***, the other driver already pull a side and the cop told him to go ....