Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2005 Toyota Avalon vs. Lexus ES330

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-05, 09:03 PM
vinster29
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2005 Toyota Avalon vs. Lexus ES330

How can Toyota justify the price of the new Toyota Avalon Limited. It costs more than a lexus ES330!!! I was looking throught the ebrochure for the Avalon and I compared it to the Price of the Lexus ES330 and the Lexus was cheaper!!!! Other than the smart key system what is it about the Avalon that would justify a price tagof 33,600. It doesn't have a Lexus warranty or Lexus service. It doesn't have a Lexus badge so I'm sure the depreciation will be higher for the Avalon. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks

I was planning on buying a 2005 Toyota Avalon Limited but I was just wondering how everyone else felt about the price. Don't get me wrong. I love the car. It is definitely considered to me as being a baby Lexus LS430. I just think that the Avalon Limited should be more reasonably priced.

Last edited by vinster29; 01-22-05 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-21-05, 09:13 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vinster29
How can Toyota justify the price of the new Toyota Avalon Limited. It costs more than a lexus ES330!!! I was looking throught the ebrochure for the Avalon and I compared it to the Price of the Lexus ES330 and the Lexus was cheaper!!!! Other than the smart key system what is it about the Avalon that would justify a price tagof 33,600. It doesn't have a Lexus warranty or Lexus service. It doesn't have a Lexus badge so I'm sure the depreciation will be higher for the Avalon. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks
Lexus will be introducing the new 2007 ES350 in Jan. 2006. I wonder if it will be base on the Avalon chassis rather than the current Camry?

Chu...
Old 01-21-05, 09:32 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Because the Lexus ES is based on the less expensive Toyota Camry.

Similar situations have happened plenty of times in the automotive history. Cadillac, for example, is known as the top brand for GM.

However, when Cadillac was selling Cimarrons (which were based on the cheaper, generic GM chasis) there were plenty of other GM models from Oldsmobile and Buick that cost more.

Jon
Old 01-21-05, 09:45 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Let's see how the public reacts to the Avalon.....I agree the price should not be higher than the ES however......but the Avalon will beat the current ES in the power & torque department, brand new platform & quite a bit more equipment than the ES......perhaps one of the major auto mags will weigh in with their thoughts soon.
Old 01-22-05, 06:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Well, if Avalon doesnt have any features, why did you pick top version? Pick base version and save 7k if you dont want extra features.

Why pick the most expensive model to compare it with?

Actually, both Toyota and Lexus are counting on people like you to buy ES330 and not Avalon Limited :-).
Old 01-22-05, 09:54 AM
blkbeauty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've driven both models (04 Avalon and ES330) and I would personally pay more for the Avalon. The ES330 is a disappoint in the way it drives - big hitches between gears, low power, etc. Plus the looks are very sub-par for the ES. I used to get this car all the time as a loaner when I would have my car serviced and I now request NOT to get that car and go with the RX because the ES annoys me so much. The Avalon is a nice car that I could consider owning. I haven't read anything about the upcoming ES350, but hopefully it drives and looks a ton better.

Another point regarding price, some people think that Lexus is pretentious and would opt for the "lower level" Toyota. Both are outstanding cars in terms of quality and Toyota wins either way. It's the same rationale VW was aiming for with the Phaeton and the Audi A8L.....but Toyota is MUCH smarter about it (the Phaeton and Audi A8L cost the same amount - $80K. Complete and utter nonsense.).
Old 01-22-05, 10:03 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

The Avalon is a bigger car than the ES, hence the higher price. But it all depends on the options. There's a lot of Toyota-badged vehicles than are similarly-priced or higher than some Lexus-badged vehicles!
Old 01-22-05, 10:34 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Definitely having the parents look at the new Avalon when it comes out. IT's got some great features, especially on the Limited, and my parents aren't too concerned about the badges of the car. Can't go wrong with many Toyota/Lexus products.

Avalon has a flat rear floor, which should be nice, reclinable rear seats, and matches a lot of, it not all the features of the ES.

The ES350 should follow shortly I would hope for Lexus.
Old 01-22-05, 10:42 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Wink

Agreed ms! I'm not sure if some are disappointed by the fact that a new 'Toyota Badged' vehicle trumps a 'Lexus badged' vehicle that justifies the slightly higher price of the Avalon or the fact that the new Avalon has much more & perhaps better technology, power, features & platform (how about overall value as it's a bigger car!) than the current ES 330 but one dosen't want to admit it because it might be tough to swallow (perhaps tough on the 'ego as well?) & the L isn't proudly displayed on the front & back of the car & because of that, in the eyes of some (not me) might might mean the current ES could be starting to show it's age!?

Be patient, the ES 350 will 'leapfrog' in front of the Avalon again for the 2007 model year. Or in the meantime, get the new Avalon & put Lexus badges on the car.......the average person would not know the difference by looking at the car if you told them that the Avalon was a Lexus! Just by looking at it in the pictures I've seen it sure could pass for one...... & it wouldn't embarrass anyone if it did say Lexus.

For me, this is quite encouraging! It means Lexus will 'up the ante' that much more! Everybody win's & benefits.

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 01-22-05 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-22-05, 12:04 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
For me, this is quite encouraging! It means Lexus will 'up the ante' that much more! Everybody win's & benefits.
very good news. Toyota is becoming more and more dominent over the competition.
Old 01-22-05, 04:05 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

..... It doesn't have a Lexus warranty or Lexus service. It doesn't have a Lexus badge so I'm sure the depreciation will be higher for the Avalon.
Let's see
One year longer warranty
Overpriced un-needed service - but hey they wash your car each time
Depreciation? Are you kidding? Go check out how much a GS depreciates.

Seriously man, the Lexus warranty is the only plus. Lexus service is no longer something to write home about unless you like overpaying for un-needed service and Lexus cars do not hold their value as well as Toyotas IMHO.
Old 01-22-05, 05:54 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Wink

Originally Posted by doug_999
Let's see
One year longer warranty
Depreciation? Are you kidding? Go check out how much a GS depreciates.

Seriously man, the Lexus warranty is the only plus. Lexus service is no longer something to write home about unless you like overpaying for un-needed service and Lexus cars do not hold their value as well as Toyotas IMHO.
Well said doug!
Old 01-22-05, 07:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Since you guys are so intensely comparing the new Avalon and the ES330, it may interest you to know that the Avalon, when it was introduced in late 1994 as a 1995 model, was originally intended to be a Lexus product, at least here in the American market. At the last minute ( I don't fully know why ) the Toyota marketers decided to switch it over to Toyota as the new flagship, replacing the former Cressida.

A similiar thing happened to the Mazda Millenia. it was originally intended to be the first Amati product (Mazda's uplanned upscale division) to compete with Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura. But, Ford cancelled the Amati project, and the car was given the Mazda nameplate instead and became the new Mazda flagship.
Old 01-22-05, 10:29 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by doug_999
Old 01-23-05, 06:08 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If I was shopping for a car I don't think I would look at the Lexus ES 330 and then also look at the Toyota Avalon I believe they cater to different people. However it seems like the Avalon is a greater deal until the new ES 350 will come out in 2007. Also, I believe by then the RX should incorporate the engine.

Quick Reply: 2005 Toyota Avalon vs. Lexus ES330