Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

People really PI$$ me off!! (selling car - buyer foolishness)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-05, 06:20 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default People really PI$$ me off!! (selling car - buyer foolishness)

Guys,

I have had my car for sale for about a week now and I am amazed by the idiots who have contacted me.

Firstly we had the guy that called and asked how much the car is. I said " Seventy nine ninety five" and he said. " Is that thousand?" No douchebag, Lexus's are on sale for $80.

Then we have the girl who calls and says " Will you finance me?" I say " I am not a dealer or a bank, I cannot do that. Can you not get a loan from the bank?" To which she replies " No, I have horrible credit." Yeah, a bank won't do it but I will. Dumbass!

Then I have the dude who calls and says " Is $7995 your lowest price?" I say, "well, I will furnish any offers." He says, " I will pay you cash." Oh, ok, well if you are paying cash how about $3000. What the hell else are you gonna give me? Monopoly money? Idiot.

So then tonight I have some guy call and say he is very interested and wants to know if he can some see the car right away. I say yes and give him my address. He says "I am leaving now." Three hours later and he still isn't here. He only lives 20 minutes away. He must be walking! That's probably why he needs my car so bad!

I am amazed by the people who have contacted me thus far. Maybe I should just keep the damn thing!!

Jonny
Old 01-23-05, 06:25 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's funny, Like CASH is any better than a check or something.

What kind of Lexus you selling for that money?
Old 01-23-05, 06:40 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rai
That's funny, Like CASH is any better than a check or something.

What kind of Lexus you selling for that money?
Is $7995 too much to ask for a Lexus? Did you think I meant $79,995?

Peace,
Jonny
Old 01-23-05, 06:47 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

I am amazed by the people who have contacted me thus far. Maybe I should just keep the damn thing!!
word up just keep it
Old 01-23-05, 06:56 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pilip99
word up just keep it
Now that I have replaced half the car I have been thinking about it!!

Peace,
Jonny
Old 01-23-05, 07:33 PM
Fiya
Lead Lap

When I sold my last car, some guy wanted me too pick him up at the 7-11, he was calling me from the payphone and didn't have a ride to my house!
Old 01-23-05, 07:44 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by acidrool
When I sold my last car, some guy wanted me too pick him up at the 7-11, he was calling me from the payphone and didn't have a ride to my house!
I don't know if I would pick some random dude up from a gas station - I'm thinking if some dude is buying a Lexus from me, he would at least have a cellphone and a ride!!

Peace,
Jonny
Old 01-23-05, 07:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

[QUOTE=rai]That's funny, Like CASH is any better than a check or something.

QUOTE]

Well, there IS a difference. Cash obviously can't bounce like a check....except for a cashier's check, which is bank-certified. Once you receive cash from someone it is YOURS, period. Of course the old stereotype (which I don't necessarily agree with) is that anybody walking around with $8000 in cash in their pockets is either a drug dealer or a bank robber.

Of course, a lot more is involved in a car sale (or in this case, a re-sale) than just money. You will probably need a notary public licensed to practice in your state to witness and sign the car's title over (unless the bank or dealership still has a lien on it and is keeping th title). It will also have to be re-registered at the state DMV with the new owner, and the tax on a used car sale paid, if applicable........and the problem often comes up with whose tags are going to be on the car between the resale and the second registration and who will be driving it to DMV.
That is why so many people simply choose to trade-in at a dealership even though you often don't get as much for the car....it saves a LOT of hassles.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-23-05 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-23-05, 08:03 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Re: CASH

unless you have one of those money checking type pens, or are just blunt about "wait and let me look for the stripe on every single bill" type of person, money can be a bad thing. you see how many scams are out there, counterfeit isn't exactly a new idea.
Old 01-23-05, 08:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Re: CASH

unless you have one of those money checking type pens, or are just blunt about "wait and let me look for the stripe on every single bill" type of person, money can be a bad thing. you see how many scams are out there, counterfeit isn't exactly a new idea.
Yes, there are some scams, but is is very difficult to counterfeit today's bills.....and getting harder all the time.
And, even over and above that, it is a Federal Offense, and a quite serious one. A lot of potential counterfeiters have decided the that the difficulties of doing it and any profits involved are just not worth the risk of having Federal agents tracking them down and ending up in Leavenworth or Lewisburg beating rocks.
Old 01-23-05, 09:00 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

It is exactly stuff like this...PITA to deal with prospective buyers or let the dealer take it to me instead.

Sold one car PP and the buyer took me to small claims over some maintenance stuff. The dealer paid me $1,500 less for my last car. I'll tell you, I'd rather take that loss than have to deal with a private sale. No headaches and it was done with in moments. I didn't even have to get it smogged.
Old 01-23-05, 09:03 PM
LexRoc
Lead Lap

One time I had an interesting character that wanted to buy my car with a credit card check. Something told me to stay clear of this guy. I eventually heard thru the grapevine that he pulled some type of scam on his seller.
Some people do suck. Pays to be smart, schrued and cautious.
Old 01-23-05, 09:15 PM
MoFunk
Driver

Can i pay in Peanut oil?
Old 01-23-05, 09:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RA40
The dealer paid me $1,500 less for my last car. I'll tell you, I'd rather take that loss than have to deal with a private sale. No headaches and it was done with in moments. I didn't even have to get it smogged.
I agree. A private sale in some cases can go very well, but usually it is much easier, cleaner, and more efficient at the dealership and IMO you are correct.......it is worth the lower trade-in value. An added bonus is that the dealer has the equipment and facilities to repair anything your old car may need before re-selling it to someone else.
Old 01-23-05, 11:00 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dx3

He says "I am leaving now." Three hours later and he still isn't here. He only lives 20 minutes away. He must be walking! That's probably why he needs my car so bad!

hahahahha

Quick Reply: People really PI$$ me off!! (selling car - buyer foolishness)