Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How exactly is the M35/45 cheaper than the competiton? Comparison pricing included.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-05, 09:57 AM
marcpitch
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jarrett
The 2006 GS AWD will Start At 41,400 without taxes ETC. The GS 430 Will BE loaded At 54,000.
Please tell us where you got these numbers? They are very encouraging. Are they educated guesses, or inside info?
Old 01-21-05, 10:07 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by marcpitch
Please tell us where you got these numbers? They are very encouraging. Are they educated guesses, or inside info?
Guesses. The actual pricing has not been released yet. All Estimates.
Old 01-21-05, 10:31 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jrock65
No doubt about it, part of the reason that Infiniti can keep prices down is b/c of platform and engine sharing, which is a good thing IMO. I could care less that the M35's platform and engine are tweaked versions of the Z's platform and engine, as long as the platform and engine are good and serve the M's purposes well.
Old 01-21-05, 11:03 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Man their is nothing special about a 245hp v6 engine. That same engine is probaly going to be in the next IS. It's a v6!! people
I sincerely doubt that Toyota only design that engine for one car.
Old 01-21-05, 11:24 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rogers
Man their is nothing special about a 245hp v6 engine. That same engine is probaly going to be in the next IS. It's a v6!! people
The IS is gonna have the 3.5L engine not the 245hp 3.0L engine found in the GS300.

The 3.0L engine is already shared in many new Toyotas such as the new Crown series and Mark X so rest assured that GS300 won't be the only car carrying it.
Old 01-21-05, 12:43 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
No one said anything about it being better. Also why they chose to stay with a 3.0 and have the 3.5 in Japan, is a mystery. I did state that luxury=rarity and the new 3.0 will be much rarer than the VQ. Will most buyers care? No.
BMW offers 2 engines here in the 3 and 4 overseas. There is also a 320 and a 320d (diesal). And your comparing apples to oranges, BMW engines shared are shared with BMWs. Not Minis.
And you might be okay with all the sharing, some people might not be.
The 2.5 and the 3.0 sixes that BMW uses is the same engine in design, with the bore strokes increased for different displacement. By that logic, Nissan uses 4 different V6 engines (2.5, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0) here and overseas.

All major car companies share engines and platforms all over the place and among the different brands that it owns. The Mini brand makes one car and it does not use a six at all.

The new V6 engine is a new engine, so I expect that more and more Toyotas/Lexuses will start to carry it in the future, as it apparently already seems to be doing with the Crown.

I am sure with the next IS that Toyota will heavily borrow from the GS RWD "platform". Apparently, it'll have the same engine as well.

So I guess if/when the GS gets the Avalon 3.5L next year it'll suddenly become less luxurious, since luxury=rarity. God forbid they ever put the 3.5 in the best-selling Camry, b/c that'll just make all the other Toyotas/Lexuses with the 3.5 less luxurious.
Old 01-21-05, 01:13 PM
LexFather

The 2.5 and the 3.0 sixes that BMW uses is the same engine in design, with the bore strokes increased for different displacement. By that logic, Nissan uses 4 different V6 engines (2.5, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0) here and overseas.

All major car companies share engines and platforms all over the place and among the different brands that it owns. The Mini brand makes one car and it does not use a six at all.

The new V6 engine is a new engine, so I expect that more and more Toyotas/Lexuses will start to carry it in the future, as it apparently already seems to be doing with the Crown.

I am sure with the next IS that Toyota will heavily borrow from the GS RWD "platform". Apparently, it'll have the same engine as well.

So I guess if/when the GS gets the Avalon 3.5L next year it'll suddenly become less luxurious, since luxury=rarity. God forbid they ever put the 3.5 in the best-selling Camry, b/c that'll just make all the other Toyotas/Lexuses with the 3.5 less luxurious.

Look, I know your some kid from the Acura/CL/TL etc forum. I am not looking for an arguement u are looking for.

Old 01-21-05, 01:18 PM
jarrett
Driver School Candidate

Default 2006 Lexus Gs 300 AWD and GS 430

The 2006 GS AWD will Start At 41,400 without taxes ETC. The GS 430 Will BE loaded At 54,000.

I spoke to my Dealer in Chicago Yesterday, and the prices that he gave me he said that they will 9 * out of 10 be accurate.

Another dealer told me that there wouldnt be a big price increase.

All of you guys shoould know that. Lexus is cheaper than the rest of the competion, but still is luxirous and sport and very reliable.

OOOPPPPSS.
Old 01-21-05, 01:34 PM
LexFather

I spoke to my Dealer in Chicago Yesterday, and the prices that he gave me he said that they will 9 * out of 10 be accurate.

Another dealer told me that there wouldnt be a big price increase.

All of you guys shoould know that. Lexus is cheaper than the rest of the competion, but still is luxirous and sport and very reliable.

OOOPPPPSS.
Historically, Lexus has always
1. Sold the new version at the same price or cheaper than the outgoing model
2. Which means it is less than the German competiton.

The GS did not have to contend with a car from Infinitii before. The yen is ugly right now. And looking at the
RX 330 (which can be 48k loaded)
GX 470 (55k loaded)
LS 430 (70k loaded)
LX 470( 70k)
SC 430 (65k)

Lexus has proven it can raise prices and in some cases be as much as the competition and people will still chose the car/SUV.

We'll see. Not sure if Lexus will go with its plans to just undercut the Germans or will they have to adjust pricing last minute (as we speak) in response to the M.

Lexus has

Old 01-21-05, 02:41 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Look, I know your some kid from the Acura/CL/TL etc forum. I am not looking for an arguement u are looking for.
Interesting, since I have never owned an Acura. I'm offering my perspective and my opinions on the matter of platform/engine sharing, just like you are. I also know that you're some kid in the Lexus forum, and I'm not looking for an argument either.

Please point out if I've made an personal, derogatory comments, or if my differing opinions stepped outside the bounds of the rules of this message board.

Speaking of Acura, they do the same thing BTW. The Honda Global Midsize Platform is used on the Accord, TSX, TL, and RL. They use the same V6 engine in 3.0 and 3.5 forms in everything from the Accord, TL, Pilot, MDX, Odyssey, RL, and upcoming SUT (whatever it's called). It's part of how they keeps costs down.

Fact is, even aside from cost sharing, Infiniti and Acura cannot charge as much as other luxury marques. They simply do not have the cachet.

Last edited by jrock65; 01-21-05 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-21-05, 02:46 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by rogers
Actually there is. It's Dual VVT-i, variable valve timing for both exhast and intake. Direct injection is featured for this motor as well.
Old 01-21-05, 03:02 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Does anyone know if the 3.0L (US GS300) and the 3.5L (Japanese GS350) are based on the same engine design, or are they completely different engines?
Old 01-21-05, 03:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Does anyone know if the 3.0L (US GS300) and the 3.5L (Japanese GS350) are based on the same engine design, or are they completely different engines?

Hi,

they are both GR engine series engines.... There are 2.5l, 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0 variations so far, although they might differ in design depending on their use. 2.5l is an 220hp engine, 3.0 is 245hp engine so far. 4.0 is used in Prado/4Runner/Tacoma. 3.5L is going into new Avalon with 280hp.

They are pretty advanced engines in their own right so they should be quite nice... Keep in mind that 3.0 in new GS300 will be 1 sec faster than previous 0-60, and it will actually have more torque than upcoming 530i.

I dont know if anyone would feel the difference if GS300 was tuned so it got slightly more hp (Japanese version gets 256ps) and less torque... maybe some people would feel warmer inside but the truth is that it will be an nice engine...
Old 01-21-05, 03:33 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Spwolf is correct. The GR series engines stemmed from the 4.0L 1GR-FE first found in the 4runner and utilized in the new Tacoma. the 3.0L 3GR-FSE/ 2.5L 4GR-FSE and the new 3.5L 2GR-FSE are the newest additions. the 3.5 and 2.5 are to be used for the new upcoming IS.
Old 01-21-05, 04:15 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
Hi,

they are both GR engine series engines.... There are 2.5l, 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0 variations so far, although they might differ in design depending on their use. 2.5l is an 220hp engine, 3.0 is 245hp engine so far. 4.0 is used in Prado/4Runner/Tacoma. 3.5L is going into new Avalon with 280hp.

They are pretty advanced engines in their own right so they should be quite nice... Keep in mind that 3.0 in new GS300 will be 1 sec faster than previous 0-60, and it will actually have more torque than upcoming 530i.

I dont know if anyone would feel the difference if GS300 was tuned so it got slightly more hp (Japanese version gets 256ps) and less torque... maybe some people would feel warmer inside but the truth is that it will be an nice engine...
Thanks. I had no idea that a variation of the GR was used in the Toyota trucks as well. Have any idea what they're planning to do with the 3.0/3.3 used in the Camry/ES/Highlander/RX? Wonder if those cars will eventually get the GR engine also.

Toyota is such a bigger company than Nissan or Honda, maybe it does make sense for them to have completely different V6 engines in its lineup.

Quick Reply: How exactly is the M35/45 cheaper than the competiton? Comparison pricing included.