Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Need advice on SUV purchase. FX35, V8 XC90 or Escalade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-05, 06:12 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Well as an employee of Volvo, my take on the XC90 is quite positive. As far as reliability, from what I have experienced the first year batch of XC90's were below average. There were many electrical problems, we experienced problems with the turbo's in the T6 model, and problems with the tranny. The tranny simply wasn't strong enough for the T6's power and weight of the XC90. It basically is the same set up they use in the S80 T6 sedan.

Todays XC90's are more reliable. Not to many 2004 and 2005 models coming back for unscheduled maintaince and a great majority of the owners are happy with the XC90 unlike some owners of different models (S80 and some S60 owners come to mind). However I did notice a few XC90's that we sold earlier in the month had some problems with the radio. It was completely malfunctioning. A reprogramming of the system fixed those bugs however.

As far as the XC90 V8, its not even out yet. My dealership has an allotment of the first XC90 V8 coming in on the 18th of February. I personally didnt get a chance to test drive it however, our salesmanager, sevice writer and tech. did back in November down in Arizona. From hearsay, they claim it to be one of the best Volvo's to date. The V8 and 6speed Auto work well together and has a lot of punch with a distinct and ear pleasing V8 roar.

Like MMarshall said before, the RSC is a world first and it does wonders for this vehicle. Its damn near impossible to roll this thing over(probably if you turned off the Stability Control and really tried to roll it over). It uses I believe a Gyroscope sensor or something and it takes note of the angle of the truck at all times to prevent roll overs. I tried fishtailing this truck through some sharp turns and it corrects itself rather quickly. So yes this is a very stable truck and the RSC helps a lot. Its suspension is sportier than a RX330, but not as harsh(as some say) a FX35/45.

Interior is quite roomy, lots of head and leg room up front, however lacking in the rear if front seats all the way back. I think the RX330 has more leg room in the second row. However there is an optional 3rd row in the XC90 that cleverly folds away into the floor to leave a flat cargo area, which is quite big and the biggest in its class.

A few new features that will be introduced on the XC90 will be BLIS which is a camera system that takes pictures of your blind spots and flashes a light on the pillar when there is a vehicle in the camera range.

Precharged AWD with Instant Traction. I dont know how it works completely, but its suppose to have some 60lb tq precharged into each wheel so as soon as one slips less than 1/7 of a complete turn torque is sent to the other wheels making you not feel slippage at all. Which is another World first.

You can also get the entertainment package that has two 7in'' TV's built into the headrest from the factory and a 12 speaker system with Dobly Pro Logic II that also works with the radio but not that well.

Starting Price is $45,000 With popular options about 49-50K(Dont even think about getting a deal on one in the coming months, some coming into my dealership are already spoken for). The BLIS system will be available later in the year, standards are:

Moonroof
Versatility Package - 3 rows of seats and input out puts for headphones and own radio controls.
Leather
6cd changer in dash
Precharged AWD
17in wheels
AND everything else that is standard on the lesser models. Some of the specs for the engine are

311hp 325lb-tq
0-60 in 6.9 sec
6 speed automatic

I dont know much about the FX35. The only thing I know about it is that it has an updated version of the engine that I have in my Maxima and its one hell of an engine at that. Most here call it the sports car of all SUV's and I would probably agree with that statement. I know of a few people here bought the FX. They can probably give you some insight on those models.

My boss has an Escalade. Its nice and screams American which can be a good and bad thing because its very cheaply made throughout(better off with a Denali) however it contains original American looks and feel. Its a truck that demands attention because of its size and large grill. Its comfortable and cool to drive, however the Navigator is better built, has more features and its even more comfortable. I think they got it right with this truck. They blended Asian quality(the way it looks on the inside hidden radio panels soft leather vibrant deep colors and ergonomics) with American style. If your thinking about trucks this size, I would take a look at the Navi before Escalade.

My choice for you however would be the XC90, not just becasue I am an employee, but I truely believe that it is a great product that shouldnt be overlooked. Like I said in my other post, the XC90 and RX330 are my pick for best luxo trucks in this price range.

You got lots of choices out there buddy. Good luck. And why can't you put any truck under your business name??

And here is my other post that I started a few weeks ago about the Volvo Line-up.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=Volvo+line

EDIT: One thing I always forget to add is that the turning radius on ALL VOLVOS SUCK. Big Volvo's and small Volvo's.

Dont forget that the XC90 has one of the best resale values of any car/truck. Wow sure felt like I was back at the dealership with that one persuading you to purchase a car. LOL My bad.

Last edited by magneto112; 01-27-05 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-27-05, 06:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegassc400
The GX and LX would be high on my list if they had full time AWD but they don't so they aren't options at this point.

WOULD be high on your list? I got news for you.............BOTH of them have EXACTLY what you want.

The GX and LX have a set-and-forget FULL-TIME 4WD mode with a center differential that can be used on any surface....so in effect, that is exactly the same as a center-differential full-time AWD system.
Old 01-27-05, 06:21 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Originally Posted by mmarshall
WOULD be high on your list? I got news for you.............BOTH of them have EXACTLY what you want.

The GX and LX have a set-and-forget FULL-TIME 4WD mode with a center differential that can be used on any surface....so in effect, that is exactly the same as a center-differential full-time AWD system.

There you go Vegas I was just about to tell ya that.
Old 01-27-05, 07:07 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Originally Posted by magneto112

Precharged AWD with Instant Traction. I dont know how it works completely, but its suppose to have some 60lb tq precharged into each wheel so as soon as one slips less than 1/7 of a complete turn torque is sent to the other wheels making you not feel slippage at all. Which is another World first.
This is funny to me. It may be a "world first" but it's also inferior to virtually any system which is full-time AWD.
Old 01-27-05, 07:53 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is Volvos reliability like?
My neighbor has an XC90, which I agree is a very sweet sport ute. However, she has a loaner at least once a month. Not a good sign.

Note Magneto's post about the trans and reliability issues and I'm pretty sure the V8 model (with a BRAND NEW 6-speed transmission) will be a vehicle to avoid in its first year.

Also it is interesting to note that the T6 XC90 uses a 4 speed trans whereas the 2.5T uses a 5 speed. It bothers me when a $45K car uses a 4 speed - especially when per Magneto, they had trans problems with it!
Old 01-27-05, 07:55 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rheiy
Don't know if its good or bad, but to quote Car & Driver, the V-8 in the XC90 is "a re-worked version of the v-8 designed by Ford and built by Yamaha that once powered the Taurus SHO in the mid 90's" C&D goes on to state that "XC90 V-8s will be built by Yamaha in Japan and shipped to Sweden" Nov 2004 issue
Actually is good, Yamaha has built engines for ford since 88 <first sho v6> and Toyota since 1967 <Toyota 2000GT among others> they also do tuning and such
Old 01-27-05, 08:30 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Interesting. I didn't know they had full time awd. Gracias.

I have to wait till April for the new ride so I'll be able to check into the Volvo a little more thoroughly. Thanks for everyones input so far. Keep it comin
Old 01-27-05, 09:16 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

The only thing that the SHO V8 has in common with the XC90 V8 is that both are 60degree designs. But thats where it stops. I'm looking for an article that went into more depth about the V8 from both, but I remember reading that indepth about the designs of both and how its not just an updated SHO engine. I think it was on Swedespeed. I dunno, maybe thats what they want us to think. Who knows.

Heres how the AWD system is suppose to work.

AWD with Instant Traction – a world innovation

The third ingredient in the new Volvo Cars V8 powertrain is the electronic AWD drive system, which now features Instant Traction. This new technology – which Volvo Cars is the first automaker in the world to introduce – considerably improves the scope for quick getaways and provides enhanced traction on slippery surfaces. It has been developed by the Swedish company Haldex.

“A non-return valve allows us to use software to control the base torque that is programmed into the AWD system. When starting off from standstill, 59 lb/ft of torque is pre-charged in the system since the non-return valve prevents the unit from becoming totally drained of hydraulic fluid" said Jörgen Svensson.

“This reduces the usual wheelspin of about one-seventh of a turn that the current system permits before the power is delivered to the rear wheels,” explains Jörgen Svensson.

I dont know much about AWD,4WD vehicles, but if Volvo wanted to use a full time AWD, then wouldnt be called 4WD?? Or am I wrong about that. Isnt AWD suppose to be FWD or RWD based?? Its probably revolutionary because its the first system that mimics a full time 4WD without being a true 4WD. I hope I made myself clear considering I dont know much about how AWD 4WD systems work. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-27-05, 09:33 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Originally Posted by doug_999
My neighbor has an XC90, which I agree is a very sweet sport ute. However, she has a loaner at least once a month. Not a good sign.

Note Magneto's post about the trans and reliability issues and I'm pretty sure the V8 model (with a BRAND NEW 6-speed transmission) will be a vehicle to avoid in its first year.

Also it is interesting to note that the T6 XC90 uses a 4 speed trans whereas the 2.5T uses a 5 speed. It bothers me when a $45K car uses a 4 speed - especially when per Magneto, they had trans problems with it!
Volvo uses a 4speed Auto with the T6 because it cant fit under the hood properly. The 6 cylinder is an inline 6 and I guess at the time they couldnt design a 5speed or an inline 6 to fit under the tight packaging the S80 has. The time the S80 was introduced back in 1998, they never used a 5 speed auto. The 5 speed auto was first intoduced on the 2001 S60 and trickled into the S80 and XC90 in 2003. The entire drivetrain from the XC90 T6 was lifted right out of the S80 T6. So its basically the same thing with the S80 model also. Ive looked under the hood of these cars plenty of times, and its real TIGHT in there. However considering that the V8 is a very tight boxy shape, they were able to fit a tranny with 2 extra gears in it and barely weigh anymore than the T6 engine. Go figure.

Considering that the engine and tranny are made by a more reliable company, I hope and assume that Volvo will have less problems. However, like always I would still try to avoid first year vehicles. Besides the 4 speed auto used in the T6 is built by GM. There goes Volvos first problem.

My recommendation, stay away from the T6 form XC90. If you dont want the V8 or it turns out to be too expensive go for the XC902.5T. And if you think power is lacking, then hit up IPD for a turbo ECU upgrade that will bring the power up to about I think 285-290hp and runs 0-60 times in the low 7 sec range. Now you have a truck that is considerably less than the V8 that gives almost the same performance as the V8.

oh by the way it bothers the hell out of me too that Volvo cant make the T6 which is a 41K truck MSRP with a decent tranny.

Last edited by magneto112; 01-27-05 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-27-05, 10:50 PM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if i had a choice between those 3...i would definitely go with the infinit fx35
Old 01-28-05, 07:05 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rheiy
Don't know if its good or bad, but to quote Car & Driver, the V-8 in the XC90 is "a re-worked version of the v-8 designed by Ford and built by Yamaha that once powered the Taurus SHO in the mid 90's" C&D goes on to state that "XC90 V-8s will be built by Yamaha in Japan and shipped to Sweden" Nov 2004 issue
Regardless - Volvo has had big problems w/ electronics.

I doubt that's all sorted out.

M.
Old 01-28-05, 08:15 AM
Milla...

Wow difficult choises here, who is this primarily for? you the wife the kids, everybody? well since the kids are moving you in this direction I say do this which I'm sure you'll do, go out you and the wife and simply test drive them see which ones she's more comfy in and just narrow it down from there.

With needs like yours I would go for the XC90 why?
Mid size = easier to navigate
decent room for its size good cargo
third row for the children
safe hence volvo's rep
very comfortable nice interior

Infiniti FX - to small not family friendly

SRX - IMO ugly as heck and looks too too much like a wagon

MDX - in your case it would make a good solid second choice for the family.

Escalade - The wife may not be to comfortable behind the wheel of such a big truck but watch out she could surprise you and if thats the case take her to the Denali (much better choice) and also the Navigator (very nice interior).
Old 01-28-05, 10:57 AM
VEGASRX330
Lead Lap

i say defintely take at least a test drive of the RX 330. its a great vehicle, and isnt so bulky and outdated as the escalade. i like the infinity and volvo suvs, as well, but i still wouldnt take them over my RX.
Old 01-28-05, 11:33 AM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

The SUV will be for my whole family. When it's just me and my wife, we'll probably still cruise in the SC. The only thing keeping the Escalade in the running is the 8 piston Brembo brake upgrade.
Old 01-28-05, 12:29 PM
Milla...

The SUV will be for my whole family. When it's just me and my wife, we'll probably still cruise in the SC. The only thing keeping the Escalade in the running is the 8 piston Brembo brake upgrade.
I highly highly recommend sticking to something with a third row even though most third rows aren't super comfy just having two extra seats is very nice for kids and their friends.

Quick Reply: Need advice on SUV purchase. FX35, V8 XC90 or Escalade?