Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Need advice on SUV purchase. FX35, V8 XC90 or Escalade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-05, 01:07 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on SUV purchase. FX35, V8 XC90 or Escalade?

Well, it's time to get a family mover now that my wife's kids have moved in. I have my SC400 and have vowed to keep it as long as possible so I need something with some hauling capacity as well so I'm looking at an SUV. It must be AWD. The RX330 is out of the picture because it doesn't make enough power for the money I'd spend.

My choices are the Infinit FX35 and the V8 Volvo XC90. Both make plenty of power and and have AWD. I like the styling on both and it's smaller so my wife can drive it. She's about 5'2". The infiniti is pretty reliable and the Volvo is "safe as a bank vault" to quote Edmunds. The V8 XC90 is too new for reliablility tests I believe.

My wife digs the Escalade. It's very roomy and makes good power. I'll also get a $25000 tax write off for this car because we will use it primarily for work. I think it's a little big and bulky but having never driven it I can't say for sure.

What do you guys think?
Old 01-27-05, 01:17 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Whatever you buy, don't get the Escalade. Look at the Caddy SRX instead. The SRX has quality which far surpasses that of the Escalade - especially on the inside.

The FX35 is pretty nice - they're quite a bit more striking in person than in pictures. And given that it's VQ powered w/ Nissan electronics - you don't have to worry about reliability. Some people have had problems with the interior - specifically the leather upholstery, so keep that in mind.

The XC90 is my personal favorite in this class, though. It's a real tank. The interior is very well executed. But if this is going to be a daily driver - you might want to consider Volvo's general reliability history.

M.
Old 01-27-05, 01:22 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

What is Volvos reliability like?
Old 01-27-05, 01:38 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vegassc400
My wife digs the Escalade. It's very roomy and makes good power. I'll also get a $25000 tax write off for this car because we will use it primarily for work. I think it's a little big and bulky but having never driven it I can't say for sure.

What do you guys think?
If you can get the tax write off then I would definately go with this truck.

Have you considered the 4Runner v8?
Old 01-27-05, 02:00 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

What is Volvos reliability like?
The XC90's reliability forecast is pretty horrible, actually.

The Infiniti FX is always near the top of the list when it comes to reliability.

Caddy's getting there. The Escalade and SRX are at or above the segment average.

M.
Old 01-27-05, 02:15 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by whipimpin

The Infiniti FX is always near the top of the list when it comes to reliability.

Caddy's getting there. The Escalade and SRX are at or above the segment average.

M.
Darn you! The XC was at the top of my list until that. The Infiniti is now my top pick but, I may need to take a closer look at the SRX.

Have you considered the 4Runner v8?
If full time AWD was optional for me it would definately be in the running but I need AWD.
Old 01-27-05, 02:31 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of those choices the FX without a doubt. I,ve had 2 friend's go out and get those recently and they're really nice. Stock motor is very powerful, and like mike said you have to see them in person. Pics in magazines and on tv does them no justice.
Old 01-27-05, 02:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The Volvo XC-90 does have sub-standard reliability according to Consumer Reports (probably the best overall source for this)....but since you mention that your wife will be driving it regularly and her safety, obviously, is very important to you....it DOES have one feature that is almost unique among SUV's.......RSC (Roll stability Control). In the Volvo tradition of safety, this feature was pioneeded in 2003 by the company when the XC-90 first went on sale, although Ford, being Volvo's owner, plans to expand it to other Ford-nameplate SUV's.
RSC differs from Traction Control and VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) in that Traction Control only measures wheel rotations and cuts power back or applies brakes, while VSC only measures steering response and yaw (turning) rate and brakes one or more individual wheels to maintain a constant turning radius. Neither of these systems can detect a actual vehicle lean or roll rate, however....that is where RSC comes in. RSC can detect when the vehicle is leaning to one side dangerously, say if you are carrying something heavy on the roof rack which raises the center of gravity and enter a turn too fast......it works with engine, brakes, steering, and the other two systems just described to prevent a rollover and get the vehicle level again. Of course no system can completely overcome the laws of physics and ultimately depends on driver common sense.

As far as the FX-35/45 goes, fine if you would rather have better reliability and fewer safety features than the XC-90, but the FX is rather small and really won't carry that much, is geeky-styled IMO, has a STIFF ride (more so in the FX45 than the 35), and in the Infiniti tradition will likely have high depreciation.

You also mention your wife likes the Escalade and you will get a tax write-off. Yes, 25K is a lot of deduction, but I have never been impressed with this vehicle. The build quality is so-so, the materials used inside are glitzy and luxurious-LOOKING but actually rather cheap for a $60,000 vehicle. It is actually just a Chevrolet Tahoe or Suburban with a lot of trim and equipment hung on it, a slightly larger engine, and only slight more luxurious than the 50-55K GMC Denali.
And if you DO test-drive an Escalade, BE SURE that the brakes are not too spongy or inefficient for you....and that you can stop this dinosaur. GM has had numerous brake problems in the last decade with virtually all of their truck-based pickups and SUV's....and the Escalade falls into this category. The brakes tend to be undersized, spongy, take a lot of effort, inefficient, prone to frequent replacement, and almost impossible to lock up even without ABS.
The last GMC Yukon XL......a similiar vehicle....that I tested for my boss when he was SUV-shopping also exhibited these characteristics.

I hope this helps you and your wife a little....good luck shopping.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-27-05 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-27-05, 02:51 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

As much as I ragged on it, I would be very curious about that Tuning Fork V8 in the XC90. Curious enough to actually spend my money on it.

The FX35 has that exhaust really going for it, sounds like sex. The Escalade is completely lame and played-out in my view.

So yeah, I'd lean toward the XC90 V8.
Old 01-27-05, 03:13 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

I just read 2004 JD Power initial quality survey on most of the vehicles mentioned. I didn't see any long term testing yet.

The Infiniti is in the tops with quality and I really like the styling. It's a love it hate it type thing I know. It has little storage capacity and that's my big problem.

The Volvo scored average in quality. Thanks for the info on the safety aspects mmarshall. My wife and kids are way more important than a tax write off.

The Escalade scored above averge in quality . I think I'm going to need to put my wife behind the wheel of one of these to show her it's the wrong choice. I know what you're saying about the brakes. My buddies Avalanche feels the same way.

The SRX scored only average in quality. I'm not too sure on the looks though. I'll have to check one out closer.
Old 01-27-05, 03:51 PM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

I just read 2004 JD Power initial quality survey on most of the vehicles mentioned. I didn't see any long term testing yet.

The Infiniti is in the tops with quality and I really like the styling. It's a love it hate it type thing I know. It has little storage capacity and that's my big problem.

The Volvo scored average in quality. Thanks for the info on the safety aspects mmarshall. My wife and kids are way more important than a tax write off.

The Escalade scored above averge in quality . I think I'm going to need to put my wife behind the wheel of one of these to show her it's the wrong choice. I know what you're saying about the brakes. My buddies Avalanche feels the same way.

The SRX scored only average in quality. I'm not too sure on the looks though. I'll have to check one out closer.
Are those 3 the only SUVs you are considering?
I've only tried the FX 45 from your list, it does handle very well for an SUV, and its performance numbers are not too shabby even by sport sedan standard. But as MMarchall said before, the ride is Hang-On stiff, and it gets worst on freeway.......expansion joints etc.

How about the GX? 4WD, good towing capacity and you can't beat Lexus reliability.
Old 01-27-05, 04:03 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I don't know that I would be so quick to exclude the RX330 without a testdrive. I've driven the RX330 back to back with the more powerful MDX and XC90 and while it makes less power, it's also lighter and more nimble. The Lexus felt quicker to me. There is more to performance than just advertised horsepower, as you also need to consider weight, gearing, and other factors. This day in age, gas mileage numbers are also something to consider...a place where the RX excells in comparison to the others. The RX actually feels pretty quick on its feet, even from the get-go, and is far more nimble than the others except for the FX35.

If power is your main concern though, the RX 400h might be something to consider and I would also recommend the Acura MDX, though it doesnt feel as quick as the Lexus. The Acura is also due for a redesign.

The RX has a better interior, better reliability, is higher quality, and gets better gas mileage than any of them and has a bigger interior than the FX, is more agile and faster than the XC, and is far more upscale than the Escalade. I'm not trying to push the RX on you just because this is a Lexus forum, but it offers a lot of great attributes rolled into one package, even if it doesn't have the biggest engine. Even in that regard, it might surprise you with "just" 230HP.

IF you weren't wanting the RX though, I'd go for the MDX, then the FX35, then the SRX, then the XC90. I wouldn't even consider the Escalade.
Old 01-27-05, 04:10 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Love the FX's styling & performance I agree cargo & passengerr space is it's downside, it doesn't really holds more than a midsized sedan. As for the ride, if you want sports sedan performance, you shouldn't expect a creamy ride. To me even the FX45 isn't bad, it rides more supple than my G35 coupe.
Old 01-27-05, 04:56 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by whipimpin

M.
Don't know if its good or bad, but to quote Car & Driver, the V-8 in the XC90 is "a re-worked version of the v-8 designed by Ford and built by Yamaha that once powered the Taurus SHO in the mid 90's" C&D goes on to state that "XC90 V-8s will be built by Yamaha in Japan and shipped to Sweden" Nov 2004 issue
Old 01-27-05, 05:33 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

The GX and LX would be high on my list if they had full time AWD but they don't so they aren't options at this point.

I will take a second look at the RX330. I'm on my second Lexus and love em. The 400h would be fantastic except I think there's a long wait list at this point. Correct?

I used to be a huge supporter of American cars and GM in particular. My Grandfather ran the East Coast distribution for GM at one point my family has tons of GM stock. Even after all that, I'm still hesitant.

I guess the truth will be in the test drives.

Quick Reply: Need advice on SUV purchase. FX35, V8 XC90 or Escalade?