Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford Trucks and SUV's Light Up In Flames

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-05, 03:26 PM
IS3CM
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Ford Trucks and SUV's Light Up In Flames

I saw this on the news tonight. This **** is crazy.

Popular Trucks Going Up In Flames
Owners Report Problems With Ford F-150s, Ford Expeditions, Lincoln Navigators

There have been reports that the Ford F-150 pickup truck, the Ford Expedition and the Lincoln Navigator have suddenly caught fire.

DELTONA, Fla. -- One of the most popular trucks on the road is being checked out after reports of it suddenly bursting into flames.

At least one of the fires occurred at a home in Central Florida, WESH NewsChannel 2 reported.

Bob Garcia-Nazario said his 2000 Ford F-150 pickup truck was parked in his Deltona garage all day Monday with no problems. But around 8 p.m., it went up in flames.

"All of a sudden you could see the hood open up and it just started melting down. It's kind of strange that a vehicle just sitting in the garage just catches fire. Something's not right," he said.

The truck fire torched Garcia-Nazario's garage and then spread to his house, causing more than $60,000 in damage. No one was injured, but NewsChannel 2 has learned that he is not alone.

Last month, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration launched an investigation into complaints of engine fires in 2000 Ford F-150 pickup trucks, Ford Expeditions and Lincoln Navigators.

There have been at least 36 reports of engine fires like this across the country. In all cases, the vehicle was parked and the engine was off. Federal investigators say the problem may stem from a deactivation switch on the cruise control.

According to Consumer Affairs, the engine fire problem isn't limited to the 2000 model vehicles. They've had many complaints from Ford owners with different year models from around the country.

"Ford is aware of the investigation and is cooperating fully with (federal investigators)," said Ford Motor Co. spokeswoman Kristen Kinley.

She also told NewsChannel 2 that "it would be premature to speculate as to an outcome of this matter."

Garcia-Nazario said Ford needs to address this "matter" immediately.

"I got to pay a deductible for something I didn't even cause. In my opinion, Ford should pay out their nose. People could be dying. Right now, there could be two more people dead in here. This is wrong. This is wrong," he said.

There have not been any government or dealer recalls on these cars at this time. Federal officials say their investigation is still in its preliminary stages.

As a result of NewsChannel 2's investigation, the federal government is very interested in Bob's case and others like it.

The government believes more than 600,000 vehicles could be problematic.

If you go to Wesh.com (Orlando's NBC Station) there are reports of recalls and a video. Its crazy..
Old 01-27-05, 03:32 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

I just read Ford is recalling almost 800,000 trucks and suvs because of this.
Old 01-27-05, 03:49 PM
IS3CM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vegassc400
I just read Ford is recalling almost 800,000 trucks and suvs because of this.

Yeah. Its all over the news. I couldn't believe it when I first saw it.
Old 01-27-05, 08:19 PM
BUSTN
Instructor

Where is the recall info???I have a 2000 ford excursion sitting outside.Whats going on???
Old 01-27-05, 08:30 PM
IS3CM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BUSTN
Where is the recall info???I have a 2000 ford excursion sitting outside.Whats going on???
Your cool man. Its only for the F150,Expedition, and Navigator. You could go to and Ford dealer and check to make sure. Check one of your near by tv station web sites and they should have more info. I got all of that info from wesh.com. That my local NBC station. But the excursion wasn't one of the vehicles with the problem.
Old 01-27-05, 08:37 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Here's a link to the story http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...o_wdiv/2557127
Old 01-27-05, 08:39 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 357 Likes on 229 Posts

Dodge beat them to it.