Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cars and drivers

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-05, 02:50 AM
R1MAN
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cars and drivers

Its been quite sometime now that I've been paying some attention to the way how people drive, and realized that the way of driving, relatively has a lot do to with a car they drive,( in CA ) so here it goes
The worst luxury cars drivers

1-The MBenz, got the honor to be the first, Not using turn signal, stop wherever they pleased, thinking they are driving in their own privet road.
2- BMW, no turn signal, a bit careless driving.
3-Porsche, ( I know its sport car, but the rest of the high end sport cars driving just fine, so I put it here) do wherever they pleased, like driving way too slow in they left lane, and so on.

The best luxury cars drivers
1-Lexus, No I'm not based
2-Infiniti sedan, especially new ones
3-Acura, especially new ones

The worst drivers, it doesn't have to be luxury cars or truck
1- Pick up trucks, SUVs, American made. do I need to say how they drive?
2- The rest of the pick ups or SUVs, Lexus and Acura wont fall in this, but Infiniti definitely.
3- Honda, mostly sedan. careless driving.

I understand that I can not generalize, and you can find a good ( who respect other people right and share of road, using appropriate communication with other drivers ) and bad ( no turn signals, not respecting your right) driver in any kind of cars, but I've noticed that the percentage of what I said is higher in those cars.
Old 02-01-05, 02:52 AM
MoFunk
Driver

I dunno man, i dont brand bad drivers by make of car, i use the ol fashioned racial profiling.

Those Asian woman in big SUVs. Man i steer clear of them.
Old 02-01-05, 03:02 AM
R1MAN
Rookie

Originally Posted by MoFunk
I dunno man, i dont brand bad drivers by make of car, i use the ol fashioned racial profiling.

Those Asian woman in big SUVs. Man i steer clear of them.
Tell me about it, today I put my track bike together, and took it to the front of my house to check it out, and roll it a bit , not more than 50 feet, I almost got hit by one of them who was on the cell phone as well.
Old 02-01-05, 05:02 AM
MoFunk
Driver

Originally Posted by R1MAN
Tell me about it, today I put my track bike together, and took it to the front of my house to check it out, and roll it a bit , not more than 50 feet, I almost got hit by one of them who was on the cell phone as well.

ahh **** i completely forgot about the cellphone...or mobile as we say here... i witnessed this teenage girl in a accident the other day. She's in a yellow Hyundai with p plates (a sign of the novice driver)on the centre lane and i was behind her in the RX330...i'm thinking to myself 'is her head down'? and yes she had taken her eyes off the road and was typing a text message whilst driving 50km/h.... she swerved a little at first THEN BEGUN TO DRIFT into the left lane, as she did i honked her to wake her up and she realised but a bit too late...she braked hard but still mounted the gutter and went straight into a road sign...it was probably only at about 30km/h but the front of her car was gone.

I pulled over with alot of other drivers (busy road) and checked her out, she was all crying and shocked. I felt sorry for her at first, but then i remembered what she was doing and thought that she could have gotten someone killed, if the roadsign had been a pedestrian etc etc. The impact would surely have caused a fatality. After i made sure she was alright i left her with other people, one of the blokes asked what happened i told him and he just shook his head and laughed. ' Bloody Kids, gonna get themselves killed'... yeah.

Kids get their licenses way too easily these days. I vote to instate a German like licensing regime.
Old 02-01-05, 08:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by R1MAN
The worst drivers, it doesn't have to be luxury cars or truck
1- Pick up trucks, SUVs, American made. do I need to say how they drive?
2- The rest of the pick ups or SUVs, Lexus and Acura wont fall in this, but Infiniti definitely.
3- Honda, mostly sedan. careless driving.

I .
Worst drivers? None of the above are even CLOSE to the absolute worst, hands-down...Mustang V8 jocks.
Second-worst, I'd have to give to slammed Civic hatchback drivers.

BMW guys used to rank second, but IMO, but are much better today . I'd say today they rank about 5th or 6th.

That is not to say that everyone who drives a Mustang GT or Cobra or slammed Civic is a nut case, but a high percentage of them definitely are.
Old 02-01-05, 08:53 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Elderly people.
I saw one storm out of a parking lot and almost hit me and didn't even realize it at all.
I honked at her and she jumped not realizing my car was right next to hers.

My car was parked on the side of a mainstreet. Older lady parks behind mine, bumps into mine roughly and thought she could get away with a hit and run. To her surprise someone was sitting in my car when it happened.

I pull up next to a brand new Grand Marquis at a red light. I move a little quicker than her so I can gain some room away from her as I know she probably drives badly. I say this because she's squinting at the road and hugging her steering wheel. As I pull quick, she does to. And basically I raced an old lady. She started drifiting into my lane so I honked the crap out of her and blew away. What a jerk.

And I almost see this daily, elderly people parking there cars nearly sideways in parking spots. Taking up at least two spaces.

The worst was when I saw an old lady in a brand new Escalade ESV. She couldn't see over the wheel. I thought to myself, she's going to kill someone.
Old 02-01-05, 10:40 AM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

As far as most disrespectful drivers go... my vote would be for lifted domestic pick-up trucks with huge tires... more often than not they're weaving through traffic like they're in a Ferrari or something.. (as with the other examples, please realize this is a generalization.. I have seen a few respectful lifted truckers..)

Nothing gets to me more than people who think that going 2-3 mph slower than the speedlimit is JUST fine for the fast lane... I have a 45 minute commute everyday on a 2 lane highway, inefficient drivers make me want to strangle somebody.
Old 02-01-05, 11:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Davtown
Nothing gets to me more than people who think that going 2-3 mph slower than the speedlimit is JUST fine for the fast lane... I.
Well, you're almost right. Legally, the left lane is for people doing THE limit...not 2-3 MPH less.
The center and right lanes are for those going slower than the limit.
If you're going more than about 5-10 miles over the limit in ANY lane, you're setting yourself up for a ticket.....and in some states 20 MPH or more over the limit will get you reckless driving.
Old 02-01-05, 11:51 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MoFunk
Kids get their licenses way too easily these days. I vote to instate a German like licensing regime.
I second that.
Old 02-01-05, 02:44 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Worst drivers? None of the above are even CLOSE to the absolute worst, hands-down...Mustang V8 jocks.
Second-worst, I'd have to give to slammed Civic hatchback drivers.

BMW guys used to rank second, but IMO, but are much better today . I'd say today they rank about 5th or 6th.

That is not to say that everyone who drives a Mustang GT or Cobra or slammed Civic is a nut case, but a high percentage of them definitely are.
i totally agree with the slammed civic hathback drivers. the ones i see zigzag fast n furious on the expressway. being that it's small, it can maneuver and what not but it's too small to offer any impact protection. i've seen accidents involving those hatchbacks flipped over and people leaving on stretchers seriously injured or dead. same case with the crx drivers.
Old 02-01-05, 04:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FLiP Sp33d
i totally agree with the slammed civic hathback drivers. the ones i see zigzag fast n furious on the expressway. .

I don't know how Mustang GT and Cobra jocks drive in your area but if you saw what many of them do in this area you yould probably agree with me that they are even worse.
A high percentage of teen-age traffic deaths in this area....perhaps a majority.....happen in high-powered Mustangs.

But....you are correct that the caps-on-backward crowd in the pimped-up Civics are way up there too. One reason they don't crash quite so much as Mustangs do is that compared to Civics, a Mustang.....even the tuner and Cobra versions with the independent rear ends....handles like a boat. Until this year, it was based on a Ford chassis going back to the 1978 Fairmont.

There is also some truth to what Davtown posted about the domestic-truck guys with the big Mickey-Mouse tires. It's not they are such lousy drivers....a lot of them are just blowhard rednecks that think that the road and neighborhood is theirs. I got a young guy with a new Dodge Durango like that lives right down the street from me.....big, chrome oversize wheels. Impatient and arrogant.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-01-05 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-01-05, 08:54 PM
R1MAN
Rookie

[QUOTE=Davtown]As far as most disrespectful drivers go... my vote would be for lifted domestic pick-up trucks with huge tires... QUOTE]

You sure live in CA, I wanted to mention them as well, but I didn't want to get to specific.
Now that I see how most of you think, I will be more detail, I think in Los Angeles lifted pick up, with caps on backward are the worst drivers, I think the reason is they think by driving that way, they look like a tough guy, and follow by elderly people, simply because they can't drive in real life environment anymore, I know a very very nice old lady that she can't even write, but she drives in daily bases.
Let me clarify something here, when I said about bad luxury cars drivers, I didn't mean they drive dangerously, just in compression I was amazed that whenever I see a luxury car, who doesn't use turn signal, or something simple like that, majority of them drive certain brand.
but if we are talking about dangerous drivers, oh man O man, no one drives like lifted trucks, pick up or SUV.
Old 02-01-05, 09:27 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think this survey is completely fair.

If someone happens to have both a BMW and a Lexus, then what does this survey say about him or her?

In my opinion, it's probably better to categorize drivers based on their race/income/educational level/age to determine their driving habits.

I saw a Hispanic male in a 95ish maroon Toyota Corolla w/ gold emblems swerving in the out of the traffic on East I-10 FWY near West Covina earlier this afternoon. There were a lot of traffic on the freeway and this guy was literally changing lanes every 2 seconds back and forth between cars as if he was auto crossing. Obviously, he didn't bother to signal or turn back to make sure that the cars behind him had sufficient time to stop or not.

I wish I had written down his plate.

Jon