Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus learns from BMW example, plans to make more changes, more often to lineup

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-05, 10:37 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Lexus learns from BMW example, plans to make more changes, more often to lineup

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. -- Lexus executives are admitting they can learn something from BMW.

Typically, when Lexus redesigns a vehicle, it makes changes to the sheet metal and upgrades the engine simultaneously. BMW, on the other hand, alternates the timing of sheet metal and powertrain changes. That way, there always is something relatively new about the vehicle.

Lexus executives have taken note of this approach and will apply it where possible, said Lexus General Manager Denny Clements at a press event here.

"We don't need to do everything at once," Clements said. "We should have something newsworthy every year, and not just the paint color and headliner."

The new approach will be applied first to the redesigned 2006 Lexus GS sedan. At launch, it will use a carryover 4.3-liter V-8 engine, as well as a new 3.0-liter V-6 base engine. But Toyota has applied for trademarks for the names "GS 460" and "GS 350," which could indicate midcycle displacement increases.

"We want to keep our cars relevant, fresh and exciting, not just alive," said Andrew Coetzee, vice president of product planning for Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. "We are not going to let our powertrains just sit on the shelf."

The changes may not happen at typical times, either. In the case of the ES 330 sedan, Lexus waited just 18 months from the launch of the ES 300 to replace the engine.

Lexus also is looking at off-the-shelf technology to add every model year.

Said Clements: "If I can get a five-speed automatic up to a six-speed or can get all-wheel drive or a derivative, then I'll get it."

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101705
Old 02-02-05, 10:38 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I guess it all makes sense on why we are getting a GS300 first then a GS350 and 460. Good idea I guess, but it really sucks for those who bought the previous model year cars. Maybe we have hope for a AWD GS460???!!!
Old 02-02-05, 10:39 AM
VorghenRiz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus learns from BMW? GS460 & 350

the following was taken from a news article from Autoweek.com

Lexus learns from BMW example, plans to make more changes, more often to lineup
MARK RECHTIN | Automotive News
Posted Date: 2/2/05
PALM SPRINGS, Calif. -- Lexus executives are admitting they can learn something from BMW.

Typically, when Lexus redesigns a vehicle, it makes changes to the sheet metal and upgrades the engine simultaneously. BMW, on the other hand, alternates the timing of sheet metal and powertrain changes. That way, there always is something relatively new about the vehicle.

Lexus executives have taken note of this approach and will apply it where possible, said Lexus General Manager Denny Clements at a press event here.

"We don't need to do everything at once," Clements said. "We should have something newsworthy every year, and not just the paint color and headliner."

The new approach will be applied first to the redesigned 2006 Lexus GS sedan. At launch, it will use a carryover 4.3-liter V-8 engine, as well as a new 3.0-liter V-6 base engine. But Toyota has applied for trademarks for the names "GS 460" and "GS 350," which could indicate midcycle displacement increases.

"We want to keep our cars relevant, fresh and exciting, not just alive," said Andrew Coetzee, vice president of product planning for Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. "We are not going to let our powertrains just sit on the shelf."

The changes may not happen at typical times, either. In the case of the ES 330 sedan, Lexus waited just 18 months from the launch of the ES 300 to replace the engine.

Lexus also is looking at off-the-shelf technology to add every model year.

Said Clements: "If I can get a five-speed automatic up to a six-speed or can get all-wheel drive or a derivative, then I'll get it."
Old 02-02-05, 11:05 AM
LexFather

Yes, that is what we are speculating. As Lexus wants to continue to grow and become more of a Big 3 Powerhouse. The BMWs in Europe for example, have countless models. The 3 series has 28 varients, the 5 maybe 15 varients. Other German companies are the same, something for everyone.

Lexus can do it. Toyota replaced a Euro only model after only 13 months on the market!! I year!! The car they designed was pretty much a failure for the Euro MAV market, they did a groupd up redesign and its now ranked #1. Costly, yes, very costly but not as costly as waiting 5 years to replace something that will destroy your marque.

The world auto market is getting more global and people want change. Technology is improving where change can happen sooner. Look at Porsche. The original 911 was around 30 years, the 993 came, the 996 came and the 997 is here. You can't stay stagnant too long or you will drown.

Old 02-02-05, 11:11 AM
LexFather

merged, Magneto had this thread 2 minutes ahead of TRD

Old 02-02-05, 12:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well i see that going on with the GS already? the first yr is going to be gs430, and then soon enough it becomes the gs460 and so on so forth

man, that makes buying a lexus a much harder thing to do
Old 02-02-05, 12:24 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow. This means waiting is a good thing.
Old 02-02-05, 01:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
Wow. This means waiting is a good thing.
and it also means there is never a good time to get the car
Old 02-02-05, 05:44 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

This is awesome...that means Toyota will be more aggressive with adding features and changes to the Lexus models. This means every new model year will be exciting, because we won't know what Lexus could possibly add to the car .... maybe we'll see a GS460 AWD..... or a GS350 AWD ..... or Lexus could add new engines, rear wheel steering, new suspension options .... the list goes on and on. This is a very exciting time for Toyota....as now they will compete HEAD ON and dead centre with the Germans using the Lexus marque.
Old 02-03-05, 12:22 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

No fricken damnit. I don't want to buy a car which gets outdated in a few years. Leave that to computers and ****ty German cars.

Gosh, there's a reason why we bought a LS (agian) and not a 7Series nor SClass... GRRRR!
Old 02-03-05, 05:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The world auto market is getting more global and people want change. Technology is improving where change can happen sooner. Look at Porsche. The original 911 was around 30 years, the 993 came, the 996 came and the 997 is here. You can't stay stagnant too long or you will drown.
Yes, but one of the big problems in the industry is that auto companies too often try and fix what ain't broke to start with. Change just for change's sake, and not for genuine improvements, in my book, is a big no-no. The Chris Bangle BMW's with I-Drive, new Audi grilles and MMI controls, the second-generation SC430, the 1995-1999 Taurus, the Toyota Echo replacing the Tercel, most of the new Saturns, 2000 -2005 Celica, 2005 Acura RL,and recent Nissan interiors are just a few of MANY automotive changes that IMO should have been left the way they were before.
When you try to change what is a good design to start with you often just f - - - it up.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-03-05 at 05:12 AM.
Old 02-03-05, 07:44 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, but one of the big problems in the industry is that auto companies too often try and fix what ain't broke to start with. Change just for change's sake, and not for genuine improvements, in my book, is a big no-no. The Chris Bangle BMW's with I-Drive, new Audi grilles and MMI controls, the second-generation SC430, the 1995-1999 Taurus, the Toyota Echo replacing the Tercel, most of the new Saturns, 2000 -2005 Celica, 2005 Acura RL,and recent Nissan interiors are just a few of MANY automotive changes that IMO should have been left the way they were before.
When you try to change what is a good design to start with you often just f - - - it up.
I feel you, you make a good point. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But Lexus is not going to wait for it to break. The competiton is tougher than ever. 5 years ago, Acura, Infintii, Cadillac, and others pretty much sucked as a whole. That is no longer the case. So you have even more competiton to look out for. Lexus simply cannot go 7 years again with the GS (for example) with minimal changes to hardware. Its not like every car maker debuts theri cars the same year. When the new GS is out, in 2 years, the new E is out, then the new 5, etc etc. Gotta try to stay fresh wiith hardware, especially if you keep the bodystyle a long time.

Old 02-03-05, 09:59 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I feel you, you make a good point. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But Lexus is not going to wait for it to break. The competiton is tougher than ever. 5 years ago, Acura, Infintii, Cadillac, and others pretty much sucked as a whole. That is no longer the case. So you have even more competiton to look out for. Lexus simply cannot go 7 years again with the GS (for example) with minimal changes to hardware. Its not like every car maker debuts theri cars the same year. When the new GS is out, in 2 years, the new E is out, then the new 5, etc etc. Gotta try to stay fresh wiith hardware, especially if you keep the bodystyle a long time.
I agree. It's not necessarily that Toyota is going to fix something that works fine: Toyota will simply add more options and more functionality. I don't think there's anything wrong with having more powertrain choices, or more choices in terms of options. I'm pretty sure Toyota won't add useless stuff, rather, they will make Lexus models more flexible, and more varied through options. Even for Toyota, the current GS run of 7 years was TOO LONG. It would've been fine if there were powertrain changes (the V8 was changed at least), or more options added. But the GS remained virtually unchanged. And plus, the GS460 and GS350 won't come for about 2 or 3 years, so it's not as if Toyota will make major changes every year. That would impact quality and reliability, I would think. It makes sense that Toyota is releasing the new GS engines later on, so as to put all the finishing touches on the 4.6L V8. I think Toyota's philosophy and quality will remain, simply you'll have more choices when buying a Lexus.
Old 02-03-05, 12:15 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have no problem with the change as long as the cars are reliable.
Old 02-03-05, 01:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

A car doesn't have to radically change to improve, though....especially if it is a good job to start with. Take the Mazda Miata, though....a perfect example. While Mazda has made some changes and improvements over time, it is still much the same car it was 15 years ago. Horsepower has steadily crept up from 116 in the original car to 142 (170 with the Turbo MazdaSpeed). The four-spoke steering wheel has been replaced by a three-spoke Nardi. Several different Special Edition models have been produced in unique colors and trim. The pop-up headlights have been replaced by fixed ones. The suspension in standard models has been softened just a touch. But, we would all agree..it is STILL the same basic sports car it was 15 years ago. And....is it dead? On the contrary...it is just as popular as it ever was....except perhaps for its first year.
And....take the VW New Beetle. A few little improvements here and there....mostly a larger engine and a sportier chassis and trim in the Turbo version, and the recent addition of the convertible. STILL popular.......WITHOUT massive changes.

So.......I wasn't trying to be argumentative, guys.....just pointing out that a car can often be improved without REALLY changing it. Granted, though.....sometimes the old design is hopeless andy you gotta start from scratch.....like Ford FINALLY did with this year's Mustang.