Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

An honest question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-05, 08:19 AM
LexFather

The problem is Honda owners mistake FACTS and stuff they don't want to hear as BASHING. Period. While we don't cry over spilled milk (the ES 250 did not sell well, 1st gen GS 300 flop, controversial SC 430/ES 330 styling, LS 400/430 Benz styling cues, no AMG/M fighters and the other Lexus flops) if you tell a Honda owner that they DID indeed have a tranny recall, its called bashing . I noticed, Honda owners can call a ES 330 nothing but a Camry with wood, when the ones making the comments are then driving Euro Accords and American Accords with wood. But when u call them out, its bashing. I noticed, when we DO give Hondas props, the S2000, the NSX, the TL sells very well, the RL is a huge improvement over the last one, etc etc (all the posittive comments we make about the products) its overlooked and the Honda owners basically don't see them. As soon as someone says a fact "the TL doesn't have real wood", the Element has cheap, ugly, uncolored bumpers, the Ridgeline is not a true truck, its bashing.

If you go to the Honda/Acura forums, there are a couple educated people but for the most part, its a bunch of kids or a bunch of people who are just Honda fans and BASH all other brands as well. Don't make me go over and link the thousands of bashing threads/comments/posts I've seen. Its WORSE on other boards. Believe me.

Then for those that drive on the roads, it seems many agree here, Honda owners, are some of the worst. I didn't even chime in on the "bad driver thread". In my experience, its not even really the modded cars. Its the damn stock Hondas. Many of them drive like madmen on the roads. If you talk to people in person, they'll say the same thing. What the hell are these guys problems? One of my good friends, drives a SUPER STOCK, 96 Accord LX sedan. He is THE WORST driver I have ever ridden with. I will not ride with him anymore. Cutting lanes, no signal, cutting people over, driving his 125hp Accord like its a damn Ferrari.

The fact is no one hates Honda, no one hates Acura. The fact is also, we are not overly impressed with their products so don't expect us to think they are the "Holy Grail" like the people on Honda/Acura forums do. The fact is, the bottom line is, Honda is now 3rd in market share in Japan (Nissan just passed them), Toyota owns over 40% of the market share there. The fact is, Toyota is about to become the #1 car maker in the world in the next 10 years, Honda is taking a page out of Toyotas book now. More SUVs and Trucks, More sedans, no more sports/sporty cars.

I would admit before, the Honda/Acura threads did turn ugly. For one, you have people on a LEXUS forum, trying to tell LEXUS owners, that their way is better or we are wrong. Add that someone links the thread and people with the brain cells of a frog turd, join here, add no value to the thread, and get banned. They they cry on their forums. Recently, EVERYONE must admit, the threads have gotten much better. They have stayed opened. Things have changed.

If you see us for what we were, is that therefore, what we are?

Again, this is a case of the pot caling the kettle black..

Old 02-04-05, 08:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
the RL is a huge improvement over the last one, ..
You're probably correct that the majority of CL members would prefer the new car but there are some who prefer the softer ride of the older one. We had a thread just this morning about that.....Matters, a new CL member......asking about the older car as a purchase.
Old 02-04-05, 08:50 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

The fact is no one hates Honda, no one hates Acura. The fact is also, we are not overly impressed with their products so don't expect us to think they are the "Holy Grail" like the people on Honda/Acura forums do. The fact is, the bottom line is, Honda is now 3rd in market share in Japan (Nissan just passed them), Toyota owns over 40% of the market share there. The fact is, Toyota is about to become the #1 car maker in the world in the next 10 years, Honda is taking a page out of Toyotas book now. More SUVs and Trucks, More sedans, no more sports/sporty cars.
Well said.
Old 02-04-05, 09:07 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Originally Posted by Milla...

I guess those that bash honda's just have a louder voice.
Could it be that we don't have a louder voice but, rather, a more articulate and well-documented one?

You can argue with fact and examples, and Mike and I provide plenty of those to back up/make our claims.

Or maybe it's that Mike and I have such genius that what we have said has become deeply engrained in the minds of Honda/Acura lovers and it eats away at them constantly, leaving them in a state of denial and taking cheap/trivial shots at Toyota and Lexus?
Old 02-04-05, 09:10 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

The fact is also, we are not overly impressed with their products so don't expect us to think they are the "Holy Grail" like the people on Honda/Acura forums do.
Sick,

Actually the 'we' really should be 'I' in the statement above... Some other folks on ClubLexus have a slightly different (or less strong) opinion than you do and that's OK .

BUT the counterpoint you make is fair. Folks sometimes need to be reminded that this IS a Lexus forum not an Acura or Honda forum (or any other brand). You've got to expect some Lexus bias here, just like you'd see that bias towards the native maker of the other forums.

My family has had great experiences with Honda / Acura. Brothers both drive Accords, sister had a Civic for years when they first started turning around (think 82-ish). My girlfriend had an NSX until recently. No problems with any of them, all fine, reliable cars. BUT I don't often post about them here... if I want to post about the NSX, I do it over on NSXPrime.

If you haven't noticed, on CL we take a pretty hard line on true 'bashing' and often close threads when they get to that point. Calmly stated opinion is certainly OK and (perceived) factual information can be debated and/or disagreed upon. What some consider FACTs may actually be personal opinion or heresay. It's up to the person disagreeing to professionally provide the information that disputes them and not take personal offense at the disagreement with his/her position. Or simply agree to disagree.
Old 02-04-05, 09:38 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Whoa whoa whoa, who said ricer is a racist term? Please share some of you experiences PLEASE! I call people ricers who I deem ignorant by adding modifications to an extent that they dont do what they are intended to do.
Old 02-04-05, 10:40 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Sick,

Actually the 'we' really should be 'I' in the statement above... Some other folks on ClubLexus have a slightly different (or less strong) opinion than you do and that's OK .

BUT the counterpoint you make is fair. Folks sometimes need to be reminded that this IS a Lexus forum not an Acura or Honda forum (or any other brand). You've got to expect some Lexus bias here, just like you'd see that bias towards the native maker of the other forums.

My family has had great experiences with Honda / Acura. Brothers both drive Accords, sister had a Civic for years when they first started turning around (think 82-ish). My girlfriend had an NSX until recently. No problems with any of them, all fine, reliable cars. BUT I don't often post about them here... if I want to post about the NSX, I do it over on NSXPrime.

If you haven't noticed, on CL we take a pretty hard line on true 'bashing' and often close threads when they get to that point. Calmly stated opinion is certainly OK and (perceived) factual information can be debated and/or disagreed upon. What some consider FACTs may actually be personal opinion or heresay. It's up to the person disagreeing to professionally provide the information that disputes them and not take personal offense at the disagreement with his/her position. Or simply agree to disagree.

Agreed 100%

Old 02-04-05, 10:49 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jrock65
IBTW, "ricers" is offensive, just as "watermelon people".
Come on quit playing you made that up 'watermelon people"????
Old 02-04-05, 02:09 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i still love my RSX but i dont know if honda/acura are reliable cars.

the check engine light was constaltly on and flashing until the whole motor blown up at 26K miles.

i guess i am one the few unluckly one in the pool.

but i still love my rsx tho.
Attached Thumbnails An honest question-socal-trip-winter-05-339.jpg  
Old 02-04-05, 02:09 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

close up picture
Attached Thumbnails An honest question-socal-trip-winter-05-340.jpg  
Old 02-04-05, 02:11 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

acura replaced with another brand new motor for me.
Attached Thumbnails An honest question-socal-trip-winter-05-330.jpg  
Old 02-04-05, 03:20 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We have both Lexus and Acura in our garage so no bias against Honda Motors here. ClubLexus has 30k+ registered members and who knows how many other readers. If you look back at all the posts that had negative comments on Hondas, you will find the number posters against Honda to be such a tiny fraction of CL. To ask that

Why are people on here such Honda-bashers?
is a way over generalization of the CL community.

Like many others said, this is a Lexus forum and you will find some bias here. Most come here to talk about our cars (Lexus) and maybe a bit on cars and life in general. Many won't necessarily go and defend Hondas in those heated discussions but that does not mean these same members think badly of Hondas.
Old 02-04-05, 04:05 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Here's my opinion. I don't think most of the bashing happens until we start talking about modded Hondas.

The majority of the people on these auto forums are really in to modding their cars. Over here on CL, high quality, subtle mods are the emphasis and the aluminum wings, over weight gaudy wheels and unpainted body kits on most of the modded Honda's are not appealing and are just down right offensive to the eyes to most of us. If someone showed us a pic of a Civic tastefully modded with a quality PAINTED (lime green belongs on a lime, not a car) body kit, some nice HRE's or Iforged wheels and some good quality power mods, most of us would be willing to give it props.
Old 02-04-05, 04:33 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Then for those that drive on the roads, it seems many agree here, Honda owners, are some of the worst. I didn't even chime in on the "bad driver thread". In my experience, its not even really the modded cars. Its the damn stock Hondas. Many of them drive like madmen on the roads. If you talk to people in person, they'll say the same thing. What the hell are these guys problems? One of my good friends, drives a SUPER STOCK, 96 Accord LX sedan. He is THE WORST driver I have ever ridden with. I will not ride with him anymore. Cutting lanes, no signal, cutting people over, driving his 125hp Accord like its a damn Ferrari.
That's just your opinion. The reason why Honda drivers seem to be some of the worst is probably because there are so many Hondas on the road that the probability of bad drivers being Honda drivers are much higher.

I bet if ever other car on the road was a Datsun 240Z, then I bet you'll have the same comment saying "Then for those that drive on the roads, it seems many agree here, 240Z owners, are some of the worst......In my experience, its not even really the modded cars. Its the damn stock 240Z. Many of them drive like madmen on the roads."
Why? Because there are a lot of them around, that the likelyhood of bad drivers owning one is much greater.

About your friend. This has NOTHING to do with Honda. It's his style of driving. The only reason why you mentioned him was because he owns a Honda. What if he buys a Bentley? It has nothing to do with the cars.

Do you agree?
Old 02-04-05, 04:43 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DC52E55
i still love my RSX but i dont know if honda/acura are reliable cars.

the check engine light was constaltly on and flashing until the whole motor blown up at 26K miles.

i guess i am one the few unluckly one in the pool.

but i still love my rsx tho.
I won't deny anyone that has a bad experience with Honda/Acura. The same can be said about Lexus as well. Out of the 5 Acura cars that I have owned or still own, none gave a check engine light ever. None had an 02 sensor go bad. Of the two Lexus cars that I own right now, both have given check engine lights and 1 is now showing an 02 sensor code. 1 is a 93 SC400 and the other is an 04 RX330. Either way, its too bad your RSX has had trouble. My brother in law is about to trade in his 2001 (I think it is an 01) RSX-S probably for a TSX at the end of this month. The car was a blast to drive

While Honda/Acura and some of the US branded Lexus cars are among my favorite and ones that I would be likely to buy, honestly, if BMW had better reliability I would own BMW's again. I only had 1 BMW and I liked the driving feel and the over all experience but I hated its reliability. It was just too much money to upkeep the little anoying things that went wrong and that was money I rather spend on modifications instead.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 02-04-05 at 04:48 PM.

Quick Reply: An honest question