Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

An honest question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-05, 06:25 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary
In any case, I'm interested in hearing why Honda is so hated around here. Is no one a Honda fan? I mean, really? But please, let's keep the conversation civil.
When I think of Honda, I think of 12 second Integras and stock, reliable, fuel efficient Civics... that's it. When I think of Toyota, I think of Land Cruiser, 4Runner, Supra, Corolla, Toyota trucks used in war-stricken countries, and the AE86 drift craze. I personally am not a fan Honda because I'm not impressed about Honda trucks or SUV's and although Honda makes very nice 4 cylinder motors, they're mostly on fwd cars. The S2000 is a nice car, no doubt about that but I wouldn't call myself a Honda fan just because I happen to like that one Honda. Import racers are Honda fans and car enthusiasts are Toyota fans. As for a Lexus sports car being an oxymoron, Lexus is Toyota and Acura is Honda so therefore if an IS300 is not a proper sports car, then the Acura RL is not a proper luxury car making Acura a poser luxury automobile. So if Honda can't make a luxury car, what's there to like about it besides hitting vtec reliably?

Last edited by flipspeed; 02-04-05 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-04-05, 07:28 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

i dont like honda for a few reasons

they arent luxurious, they arent my kind of car, and that logo??? who designed that...

seriosuly, i just dont liek them. has nothing to do with civics belonging to the tuner cround. i see thousands more stock civic than ones with melon shooters and neons.

i just dont liek them, their designs dont appeal to me.

but i will give them the following 3 cudos:

They run forever...and then some. i dont think you can kill em.
they get great gas mileage, even their big ones.
they have some innovative ideas.

that is all.
Old 02-04-05, 09:14 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

IMO there is a huge difference in desirability between a Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus.

The only car that i ever really liked from Honda/Acura was the Legend - thats it. (The NSX is desirable also but thats more like an exotic dream car thats not very realistic.) None of their other cars are that special or have made any type of significant impact on the auto industry.

Toyota/Lexus on the other hand has created cars that are extremely desirable and have had a significant impact on changing the auto industry. Some of their cars that I find personally desirable (and viewed by many as timeless) are Supra, MR2, SC, 1ST &2ND gen GS, LS.
The Lexus division had a huge impact on the auto industry. Land Cruiser/ LX470 are considered some of the greatest SUVs of all time. RX created the crossover SUV and continues to be the class leader. Prius is the most important and successful hybrid car so far.

And there are many more great things that Toyota/Lexus have done. Honda/Acura make VERY good cars but Toyota/Lexus have made some of the world's BEST cars and SUVs, and thats the difference.
Old 02-05-05, 08:30 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock65
I regularly visit Acura/Lexus/Infiniti forums, and in each forum, a certain amount of "bashing" of the other company cars goes on. Probably to be expected.

That said, Lexus forums do tend to have an "it's a Lexus, so it's gonna be better" attitude; probably because Lexus is clearly above Infiniti and Acura as a marque. On the Acura forums, people always trump value, and on Infiniti forums, people call Lexuses grandma cars.

Don't even start on Bimmer forums... I don't even go in there anymore.

BTW, "ricers" is offensive, just as "watermelon people".
First, what's a watermelon person?

On to the subject. I also believe that Honda's are nice and reliable cars. To some people, they are even upscale. That's very debatable but everyone can agree they are mostly reliable and have a high resale value. In fact, I believe higher than Toyota. Even if that's not true today it was not long ago. SOme I really like. The s2000 looks great and has a lot of pep. Always loved the prelude. I was locked in a battle trying to decide between a prelude and my platinumsc 4 years ago. I would definitely drive an accord. Can't go wrong with those cars. If some people don't like them, that's okay. It's their right. Everyone can't like everything. This site is here for opinions. As long as someone doesn't attack another personally, everything is free game. We also don't have to read a thread that is about something we don't agree on. One thing I can't accept...spinners on cars. I don't know why. I try to be open minded but that thing just gets me. Everything else....I deal with it. Even a Hyundai (sp) can look good if modded well.
Old 02-05-05, 10:03 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Cadd
That's just your opinion. The reason why Honda drivers seem to be some of the worst is probably because there are so many Hondas on the road that the probability of bad drivers being Honda drivers are much higher.

I bet if ever other car on the road was a Datsun 240Z, then I bet you'll have the same comment saying "Then for those that drive on the roads, it seems many agree here, 240Z owners, are some of the worst......In my experience, its not even really the modded cars. Its the damn stock 240Z. Many of them drive like madmen on the roads."
Why? Because there are a lot of them around, that the likelyhood of bad drivers owning one is much greater.

About your friend. This has NOTHING to do with Honda. It's his style of driving. The only reason why you mentioned him was because he owns a Honda. What if he buys a Bentley? It has nothing to do with the cars.

Do you agree?
So out of everything I wrote, that is all you saw? Of course 1 guy doesn't mean all Honda owners are awful drivers and I never stated that.

Old 02-05-05, 10:05 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like Hondas! We used to own a Acura Vigor and it was a really fun car to drive! There is NOTHING wrong with Hondas.