Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anyone ever owned a 99-04 Acura RL? I'm thinking about it

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-05, 05:16 AM
Matters
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone ever owned a 99-04 Acura RL? I'm thinking about it

I am wondering if there are any current or previous owners of the 99-04 RL out there that can give me their thoughts on the car.

I am considering trading my 98 GS300 for an RL (I'm looking for the cushy ride and a car with low mileage).

Did you have any problems? What are the pros and cons/
Old 02-04-05, 07:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I did not own an older RL but I am familiar with it and have driven it. I actually like it more than the new one, although the new one of course has more HP and the foul-weather advantage of All-Wheel-Drive. But, like so many other redesigned luxury cars nowadays, the new one has become a BMW-imitating sport sedan.....meaning firmer suspension and tires.
If, as you indicate, you want a cushy ride ( I agree with you...I like a nice ride, too), the 1999-2004 RL was one of the best Japanese-nameplate cars available outside of the Lexus LS430.
It was called the " Japanese Buick " for its conservative styling and comfort-oriented chassis. For the softest possible ride, look at the early ones (1999-2001).....they firmed up the suspension slightly on the later ones. Goodyear Regatta tires will also give you a smooth, quiet ride, if they will fit this car.
Reliability, fit-and-finish, and general overall quality were first-rate. Consumer Reports gives it an extremely high reliability rating.

Cons? Not really much to speak of, IMO........except that it is obviously not a car for cutting up twisty mountain roads or throwing around corners.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-04-05 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-04-05, 07:15 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off let me tell you that your brave to ask such a qestion, if you do a search on Acura here you'll totally see why I make such a statment.

Anywho not many in CL or outside of CL are fans of this particular car not even Acura fans to be honest. I'm saying this because I don't want you to be surprised by the possible responses (or none for that matter ) you may get, frankly theres a lot to bash, but I'll be nice.

Now to answer your question. I don't know all that much about the car but their are some things I am familiar with.

Power - I think those years came with 225hp (someone correct me if I'm wrong) I understand they tried to camoflage it with the torqe curve, you can figure out if it worked. I feel that they totaly went backwards with this because a 1995 Legend GS will smoke you with their stock 230hp.

Looks - Very consevative much like the LS IMO so I suppose this is not an issue with you. The interior is ho hum nothing special much like the exterior, and I'm being nice, others may blow it out of the water.

Ride - I've been told that its much like the rest of the car ho hum.

I think that the sales of the car says it all, But this is good for you because this means you'll have the pick of the litter and get an awesome deal.

The car of course has the Honda reliability, the interior fit and finish and quality is decent. Theres no know major issues with the car that I know of maybe someone else may know but from what I understand its a pretty good solid car. The consumer books totally liked it for what it was so that says a lot for the car.

I suppose if you want something nice and you don't want to spend a whole lot of money on and just want a cruiser thats not out to impress than I guess you can't go wrong. Me I'd buy it before I'd buy an Avalon thats for sure, but I'd just get a 95-99 LS 400 and call it the day.

Go here www.acuralegend.com I'm sure you'll get a nice thorough response there. Have fun.

Last edited by Milla...; 02-04-05 at 07:22 AM.
Old 02-04-05, 07:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Milla...
Anywho not many in CL or outside of CL are fans of this particular car not even Acura fans to be honest. I'm saying this because I don't want you to be surprised by the possible responses (or none for that matter ) you may get, frankly theres a lot to bash, but I'll be nice.
I happen to like the old car. I can recommend it to anybody who wants a nice, smooth, well-made, reliable, quiet cruiser and doesn't want to be pounded over bumps.
Old 02-04-05, 07:48 AM
LexFather

Good
1. There is nothing really WRONG with the car. It is FWD, its farily large (not replicated in interior room), the styling is offenseless, they came loaded, they are pretty well built, they are really, just slightly more luxurious Accords. Honestly, think bigger ES 300.
2. The trunk is huge. Period. That is the selling point to me.
3. They are reliable.
4. Resale is pretty bad, you can buy a good model for 15k. That is good
5. Ride is nice and comfy as MMarshall stated. Though, IMO, not smoother than a Lexus with 16" rubber.
6. I think 99 and up models had HIDs standard and they touched up the exterior/interior some.
7. 45% of its parts are old Acura Legend parts. This is good. The Acura Legend is still considered by many their best sedan. That is one rock-solid car in every aspect. The RL has real good quality.

Bad
1. Europe, they recommended you buy a Camry or Maxima instead of the Legend (rl) and they HATE the Camry and Maxima. They saw no purpose for the Rl. or the reason for the asking price.
2. When I was shopping for my mothers replacement, SHE didn't like the Rl. My mother. We know people at the local Acura dealer and kept it for a weekend. I drove it extensively. Again, there was no reason for the original 45k purchase price. It was like a bigger ES.
3. Check to make sure you can adjust the seat controls with the door closed. My mother nor I could. We had to open the door to adjust the seat.
4. 45% of its parts are old Acura Legend parts. Which maybe a bad thing since the car is based on technology developed in the late 80s.

As milla and MMarshall stated, there is really nothing wrong with the car. I agree. But its so damn ho-hum and unimpressive. Motor Trend literally laughed at it when they got one for its debut (they also gave them a LS 400 and 1st Gen GS 300 to compare it with). I think it placed 5th or 4th in its one inclusion in a comparison in Motor Trend in 97 (they never tested it again). You would cry everyday if you traded in your 98 GS for the RL. The GS is a 100% superior automobile.
I had a high school bud I hadn't seen in ages. Seems he bought his RL about the same time I bought my old GS 400. We met by coincidence at an old spot a few years ago.. He drooled over the stock GS, and explained that is what he really wanted but the RL could be had at a much lower price.

Conclusion, if you DIDN'T have a 99 GS 300, then, this car is a really nice used car. Since you do have a GS 300, you would regret your decision everyday.

Old 02-04-05, 12:40 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As someone who has owned 3 G2 Acura Legend Coupes, I personanally did not like the RL. Not that it was a bad car but for the fact that in 1996 when it came out it was a worse car than the 1995 Legend GS. Legend had 230 HP, RL came out with 210. Style wise like others mentioned it is not offensive and I've had many friends with fixed up RLs that look great IMHO. Anyway, all that aside, the 99+ is a huge step up from the 96-98 RL. Lastest models even bumped HP to 225. Over all that car is build better than the G2 Legend which IMHO is one of the best build cars around. I've had nearly zero major problems with all 3 of my Legend's. I really can't say the same for my early Lexus cars. If you like the style and ride of the RL and don't mind the so callled lack of HP it is a great car. To me it is very roomy, but I am not that tall or large of a person. Resale value is actually pretty good compared to other cars of the same year. I don't recomend the 96-98, but I can recomend the 99+.

I really can't see any difference in ride comfort between a GS300 and an RL though. The RL might be a little softer,but the GS in stock form is pretty soft to me so I'm not sure why you want to trade. As a Lexus fan an owner and as an Acura fan an owner I personally would keep the GS300 over an RL. But, I guess you should teset drive one and see if the ride is really more to your liking.
Old 02-04-05, 08:06 PM
Matters
Pole Position

Thanks guys.

I did own a 94 Legend back in the day, hence my interest in the RL.

My 98GS3 is getting long in the tooth (I've got about 90k miles) and is giving me a few reliability problems (stalling on the freeway, electric motor in the steering wheel, faulty display in the radio, many rattles in the sunroof).My GS3 has an unusually harsh ride, almost everyone who gets in it makes a comment (I run the standard 17in, but I think the shocks have gone). Given its age etc I am not inclined to spend the money changing the shocks or wheels or fixing the steering wheel, I'm just going to trade it.

I have thought about a 95-99 LS400, but where I live a 99 LS4 with 80k miles costs the same as a 99 RL with 10k miles. A car with 10k miles is going to be much more reliable over the next few years.

The RL is totally anonymous, which is cool with me. I know that the RL handles like a boat, that's what I am going to struggle with.

I've already got an ES300 which I love, but I'm not sure that we need two! Thanks for your help again. I
Old 02-05-05, 10:02 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matters

My 98GS3 is getting long in the tooth (I've got about 90k miles) and is giving me a few reliability problems (stalling on the freeway, electric motor in the steering wheel, faulty display in the radio, many rattles in the sunroof). I
How long has it been since you have changed your battery?
Old 02-05-05, 12:58 PM
jsl757
Lead Lap

My first car was a G2 Legend and I still own a G1 RL as my daily driver. I think its a great car, very reliable and comfortable. Its not super fast but it has enough power, it also doesn't handle well at all. Its a cruising/relaxing type of car; its been in our family since '96 and its still running strong (knock on wood). =)

Jeff
Old 02-05-05, 01:39 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I've personally compared the RL against Legend at different car shows and really liked them both.

The Legend definitely excelled in its more unique look, more powerful engine and its more sporty image due to its two door sibling.

The RL, on the other hand, was very comfortable to sit in and felt like a very well built (put together) luxury car that is suitable for any long distrance driving/trip.

If it weren't for the fact that it's only a six cylinder car, it would definitely have been a worthy competitor to the earlier LS400 in terms of comfortness and amenities.

Jon