Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quick ??- Would you trade your gs400 for a 02' audi a6

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-05, 11:03 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BUSTN
I kinda have the oppurtunity to change my 00' Lexus GS400 57k for a 02' Audi A6 with 39k.Now my question is, is this a good trade?It is an v6 twin turbo all wheel drive version.I know it's rated at 250 hp but with $795 it can put down 306 and 359 tq with just a chip.I do know it weighs a lil' more.Would you guys trade straight up for this car???
As others have said - Audi's electronics are pretty bad and reliability, in that respect, is most likely going to be disappointing.

Also, safety with the last-gen A6 wasn't all that impressive. IIHS rated the car as only "Acceptable" in a frontal offset crash.

Your GS scores a resounding "Good" - so keep that in mind.

M.
Old 02-06-05, 11:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

personally i won't. i have had enough friends with audi and vw, and the funy thing is they all come to me and say DO NOT get a vw or audi
Old 02-06-05, 12:21 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

my roomate's 01 or 02 A6 is constantly in the shop for some kind of service...for all types of reasons. i used to think that audi's are pretty good cars, and getting an A6 was my roomate's dream for a long time. but the other day, he mentioned to me that he might want to return to the toyota family due to reliabilty. i would never trade a gs400 for an A6...i think it's a terrible deal.
Old 02-06-05, 01:06 PM
dentpusher
Pole Position

The newer Audi's are not half as bad as you guys make them sound. The A6 2.7t is a great car and far ahead of the lexus in terms of fit and finish as well as ride and the way they handle. Dont get me wrong I like my lexus alot but the Audi's are a good car as long as you take care of them. They need to be taken care of and maintained more than a lexus but look at the differences in the cars. There are some years that have a little more trouble than others but in the latter years those things have been addressed.
On the 2.7t engines the worst problem they have is premature turbo failure and diverter valves. Mostly due to improper cool down or lack of oil changes but none the less they do go out fairly early on alot cars but give you a good excuse to get KO4 replacements. The diverter valves are just cheap so you can figure that one out but are cheap to replace with better units. You have to pull the motor to swap the turbos which is a decent size job but that is the price you pay to have a high strung twin turbo german car. If you want a reliable good running A6 I would recomend the 4.2.
The nice thing about the turbo motor is they respond well to mods and are a fun car to drive all year around. What other car can you chip and get up to 60+ hp and tq for around 600 bucks.
The better ones to buy are the 01 and up due to improved oil return lines and mis. upgraded hoses. I drive booth a lexua and a A6 2.7t and have not had to work on one more than the other. I do take good care of my vehicles and change the oil frequently in the A6 but that is a must on turbo cars anyways. The Audi has been cheaper to buy parts for then the lexus and they are fairly easy to work on as well. If you want opinions on Audi's for real owners than go to audiword.com. There is alot of good info there and you can get answers from owners instead of opinions or hearsay.
Old 02-06-05, 04:33 PM
BUSTN
Instructor

Well, I went to the auction today.I checked out a coupple of a6's 2.8's and 4.2's.I didn't like them one bit.I think the a4 looks better.I also looked at the clk430 02' and an 03' cady dts.Needless to say, I will be keeping my gs400.None of the cars did it for me like the gs.I guess it's time to start modding!Thanks guys!