Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quick ??- Would you trade your gs400 for a 02' audi a6

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-05, 06:43 AM
BUSTN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick ??- Would you trade your gs400 for a 02' audi a6

I kinda have the oppurtunity to change my 00' Lexus GS400 57k for a 02' Audi A6 with 39k.Now my question is, is this a good trade?It is an v6 twin turbo all wheel drive version.I know it's rated at 250 hp but with $795 it can put down 306 and 359 tq with just a chip.I do know it weighs a lil' more.Would you guys trade straight up for this car???
Old 02-04-05, 06:50 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

No way Jose, I love the Audi interiors and styling, but I wouldn't trade for the TT 6cyl model. Not to mention Audi's poor reliability and service!

Now if it was a RS6, I'd be singing a different tune!!
Old 02-04-05, 07:33 AM
Milla...

No its not worth it not that one. You'd be kicking and slapping yourself so much people wouldn't know whether your playing the wh0re or the pimp.

Last edited by Milla...; 02-04-05 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-04-05, 08:01 AM
BUSTN
Instructor

Please explain why the Audi's are soo bad?From what I have been told they are really good and can be made to be really fast.Is the 4.2 better?I have never dealt with or driven an audi, so any help is appreciated!thanks!
Old 02-04-05, 08:06 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by BUSTN
Please explain why the Audi's are soo bad? . . .
The electronics on their cars have poor reliability & their service are not so good. Other than that, they have v. good interiors & they drive sportier than Mercedes . . .
Old 02-04-05, 08:12 AM
Milla...

I have tons of friends with Audi's all different types. Yes the electronics are horrid everyone has issues with'em.

I'm not saying no to Audi I'm saying no to the one you're looking at. If your going to go Audi you gots to make it worth it. I drove the 4.2 and its awesome, see if you can at least find one of those because theres a marginal difference between that and a regular one.
Old 02-04-05, 08:22 AM
LexFather

Audis are great cars, they mod well and look great inside and out. Coming from a Lexus, you may get frustrated with the quality of the car. Also, even if the V-6 makes more power chipped, there is a huge difference in feel and sound from a V-8 to a V-6.

The A6 fared well in all comparisons. Its a very solid car.

Old 02-04-05, 08:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I agree with the comment about Audi's well-finished and detailed interiors, but none of you guys mentioned the most obvious Audi advantage.......the sure-footedness of the Quattro All-Wheel-Drive system, especially in bad weather. Just as Subaru makes the best under-30K AWD systems, Audi generally makes the best over-30K systems, though the new Acura RL SH AWD system may challenge it. The Quattro system has been around a long time and is well-proved.
Audis, though, in typical European-car fashion, DO have unreliable electronics.
Old 02-04-05, 09:08 AM
BUSTN
Instructor

Are we just talking sensors or complete ecm's and wiring and anything not easily repairable?The color of the audi is a ming blue with creme and blue leather interior.It is an automatic.I do like the the whole twin turbo all wheel drive set-up.That definetly has an advantage over the regular v-8 motor.I have been trying to find out more mod info for them but I am coming up short.
Old 02-04-05, 10:58 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BUSTN
Are we just talking sensors or complete ecm's and wiring and anything not easily repairable?The color of the audi is a ming blue with creme and blue leather interior.It is an automatic.I do like the the whole twin turbo all wheel drive set-up.That definetly has an advantage over the regular v-8 motor.I have been trying to find out more mod info for them but I am coming up short.
We are talking about anything can go at anytime. Just search the Audi forums and see for yourself.

Old 02-04-05, 03:15 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

my friend's parents traded in their GS300 and bought my friend the audi S4... its biturbo and its pretty fast and stuff... but already (its been about 4-5 months)... he's taken it to the dealer for electronic problems numerous times... he says he loves the feel of the car... but the problems he's dealing with just arent worth it... gather up some money and pop a supercharger in your gs400... then you'll have the FI V8... wont matter what audi pulls up along side of you...
Old 02-04-05, 06:34 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would only trade in the GS400 for a 05 Audi

Since the new A6 is out, the prices for the old one will be dropping fast ...
Old 02-04-05, 07:02 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Reliability is my priority for picking a vehicle. I have heard enough problems for German brands from my colleagues at work.
Old 02-04-05, 07:26 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

I've seen enough of them on flatbeds being hauled off the side of the FWY with regularity. Two friends that own/ed them have mega problems. To keep on top, they lease and trade frequently and still they experience the dealer waiting room.

If the thrill of driving tempered by the repair frequency is one you can handle...otherwise, I'll take the reliability of a Lexus any day. as they say, YMMV
Old 02-05-05, 06:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by gs400998
Reliability is my priority for picking a vehicle. I have heard enough problems for German brands from my colleagues at work.
Well, if you just want AWD with more reliability and don't want a German brand (even though, unlike Audi's electronics, the Quattro is a pretty good system), then check out the new GS 300 AWD coming in the spring, one of the other Lexus AWD products (altough they may be too SUV-ish for you), or if you REALLY want a bargain, the AWD 2005 Subaru Legacy / Outback, which is available in numerous different forms from sedans to wagons to base to Turbo to L.L. Bean to 4 cylinders to 6 cylinders. I think you will be very pleased with one of the versions if you check them out....they all have Lexus-grade interior materials and fit-and-finish for a Subaru price.

Quick Reply: Quick ??- Would you trade your gs400 for a 02' audi a6