Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MB drops free Maintenance for 05

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-05, 01:21 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by texan629
what lexus charges for thier jap parts and service aren't nothing to brag about.
Why is this racist remark tolerated here?

Last edited by BrickHead; 03-11-05 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-11-05, 02:33 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrickHead
Why is this racist remark tolerated here?
Agreed, the terms "Jap" and "rice/ricer/ricey" are car terms that are broadly used but still racist in nature.
Old 03-11-05, 04:10 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by texan629
what lexus charges for thier jap parts and service aren't nothing to brag about.
Jap? Chinatown? Let's see how long you stay around here "redneck".

James
Old 03-11-05, 06:03 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

We may have to add a sub forum for sensitivity training.

Sorry guys. Just trying to lighten the mood in a thread that has gone way off topic.

I think MB would end up going broke trying to handle all the warranty work and free maintenance.
Old 03-11-05, 06:17 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vegassc400
I think MB would end up going broke trying to handle all the warranty work and free maintenance.
LOL.
This guy, texan639, has repeatedly made racist remarks in his posts. He clearly has some disturbing issues.

Last edited by BrickHead; 03-12-05 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-11-05, 10:10 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Agreed, the terms "Jap" and "rice/ricer/ricey" are car terms that are broadly used but still racist in nature.
Agreed. Poor taste. Ignorance is bliss.
Old 03-12-05, 06:26 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wanna go back to the Toyota vs Lexus point. I tried to take my SC to a Toyota dealer for service and they refused. Outside of an oil change, they won't touch it. They said they would rather not. I tried to insists...just to test them but they still refused. There must be something different.
Old 03-12-05, 07:39 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
I wanna go back to the Toyota vs Lexus point. I tried to take my SC to a Toyota dealer for service and they refused. Outside of an oil change, they won't touch it. They said they would rather not. I tried to insists...just to test them but they still refused. There must be something different.
How far were you from the nearest local Lexus dealer? Depending on the company that owns the Toyota/Lexus dealer, if they're within a certain vicinity, a Toyota dealer will refuse to work on Lexus vehicles. But there are Toyota dealer service facilities that are no where near a Lexus dealer, those locations will work on your Lexus.
Old 03-12-05, 07:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well, there's an old saying........................you can't pour a gallon of water into a quart jug. Either the service facilities have to expand or the amount of work done has to go down. But stop and consider that the maintenance still HAS to be done...free or not. Engines and transmissions don't care if the oil and fluid changes are free or not, and who pays for them. Leave dirty fluids in them for too long and they WILL fail, period.
Old 03-12-05, 08:53 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, there's an old saying........................you can't pour a gallon of water into a quart jug. Either the service facilities have to expand or the amount of work done has to go down. But stop and consider that the maintenance still HAS to be done...free or not. Engines and transmissions don't care if the oil and fluid changes are free or not, and who pays for them. Leave dirty fluids in them for too long and they WILL fail, period.
You're right but you know just as I know a lot of people ignore scheduled maintenance because it costs money. They don't see the long term affect...they just see that the car still runs so why pay for something that is not necessary.
Old 03-12-05, 09:19 AM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

I wonder how many MB owners will actually take their cars to the dealership for scheduled maintenance if it's not free? I think most people go to repair shops for that kind of stuff.
Old 03-12-05, 12:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I wonder how many MB owners will actually take their cars to the dealership for scheduled maintenance if it's not free? I think most people go to repair shops for that kind of stuff.
Yes...it's no secret that when it's not free, non-warranty M-B service costs an arm and a leg. This, unfortunately, is shared by most of the upmarket German brands....I have heard of timing belt replacements going for $3000, new turbos for $5000-6000, and even simple oil changes for $100 and up.
The average Lexus shop, by the way, charges $50-60 for an oil change....and most Toyota shops will give you the same service and the same filters for about half of that.
Old 03-12-05, 12:30 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
How far were you from the nearest local Lexus dealer? Depending on the company that owns the Toyota/Lexus dealer, if they're within a certain vicinity, a Toyota dealer will refuse to work on Lexus vehicles. But there are Toyota dealer service facilities that are no where near a Lexus dealer, those locations will work on your Lexus.
The dealer was in Fort Lauderdale and there is no Lexus dealership in the city. I'm sure some Toyota dealers would work on the car, this one wouldn't. The point is any Toyota dealer should be able to work on the Lex if it was "just a Toyota" as some others think. I've met many people who say that. They can't be right...right? Right!
Old 03-12-05, 04:53 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jet864
Jap? Chinatown? Let's see how long you stay around here "redneck".

James
Old 03-13-05, 05:12 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes...it's no secret that when it's not free, non-warranty M-B service costs an arm and a leg. This, unfortunately, is shared by most of the upmarket German brands....I have heard of timing belt replacements going for $3000, new turbos for $5000-6000, and even simple oil changes for $100 and up.
The average Lexus shop, by the way, charges $50-60 for an oil change....and most Toyota shops will give you the same service and the same filters for about half of that.
I went to tech school some years ago and I worked in BMW, had a friend in Land Rover, another in MB, had friends working in every dealer, the Germans vehicles, this was before free maintenance cost nothing less then 3000 every time a car rolled into the shop, just simple brake jobs are 500-1000 a wheel, and as the mileage rolls on the cost goes up, I've seen BMW and MB with 60-90k that have not been maintained the way they should, owners are usually cheap and just looking for the badge on the hood and don't realize the amount of work they need.

When cars like that come in on a trade it was an easy 10k in work to bring them back to like new, the maintenance on the vehicles has improved over the years but I don't think the average individual realizes how high maintenance those cars are

Quick Reply: MB drops free Maintenance for 05