Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should I give up my GS4 for G55 AMG?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-05, 11:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
And mmarshall, regarding the E and G, it doesn't matter on the confusion b/c they're both MBs anyway
Still a goof on my part...and I'll admit it. I usually get my posts correct, and it's embarassing to me when I don't. Well, we're all human.
Old 02-07-05, 12:53 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G55 AMG if you can afford it.
I had a G500 and i wished dozens of times i bought the AMG version.
I totally recommend that car being the fact that it is a monster on and off the road. It's built like a bank vault. My buddy crashed his into a tree at 60 and walked away with a sore neck.

Def. Approval
Old 02-07-05, 02:56 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree the G-wagon is a bit ugly (no offense anyone)... however thats why i love it. Its kind of like a german hummer... who can honestly say the H1 is a pretty car? I actually like the sqaurishness and authority its design has. The G55 would be a BEAST. However.... if you want a large vehicle... the S-class isn't exactly small either.... S55, S600, and the upcoming S65 are also big and fast. Also, you ever consider the new Range Rover Sport? It looks amazing with its lowered stance, larger rims, and sport grill.
Old 02-07-05, 07:37 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
If you think the G55 costs too much already, what about the maintenance on it, especially for the '05 when MB got rid of their "free" maintenance service? If that's the case, then the 04 would be better since it will come with the free maintenance.

The current G looks good as compared to the speculation of the new one

And mmarshall, regarding the E and G, it doesn't matter on the confusion b/c they're both MBs anyway
yeah, i bet in a couple of years Mercs wont even come with warrenty.
Old 02-08-05, 01:27 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

I have a CL, lot of problems too.
G class does not really impress me, I think they are ugly. I definately second a Range Rover though, cheaper than AMG and as big.
Old 02-08-05, 07:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
yeah, i bet in a couple of years Mercs wont even come with warrenty.
No...they will have to keep a good warranty to keep sales up.
For one thing, take a look at the cost of M-B parts and service when it is NOT free or under warranty ....it is almost as bad as Porsche.
Old 02-08-05, 02:15 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
My advice....either keep the GS or get something else that is equally reliable, like a new GS, an Infiniti G35 or M35 /45, Acura RL, etc....but DON'T go after newer M-B or BMW products. I cannot in all honesty recommend either one....for several reasons.
You are likely to have electronic problems with almost any newer European car, but if you decide you MUST have a Euro-nameplate, especially a high-performance one, look at the Audi S-series or Volvo R-series.....they are a little more reliable than M-B's or Bimmers and have the benefits of All-Wheel-Drive.

Before you buy any of the above, however, check out the 2005 Legacy / Outback Turbo...or non-turbo versions if you don't need the power. I think you will be amazed at the fit-and-finish of this car inside and out for the money. It is totally unlike any previous Subaru product ever sold here....essentially a Lexus at a Subaru price.
did i just see the words audi and reliable in the same sentence? audi IMO is worse in terms of reliability than MB or BMW... some of BMW's products are okay, the 3 series is relatively reliable.
Old 02-08-05, 03:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dynasty SC
did i just see the words audi and reliable in the same sentence? audi IMO is worse in terms of reliability than MB or BMW... some of BMW's products are okay, the 3 series is relatively reliable.
No..........what you saw in my post was not RELIABLE, but simply a little more reliable. As I said, one is likely to have electrical and hardware problems with most European cars, including Audis. You personally may have had worse luck with Audis than with Bimmers or M-B's......I won't dispute that.......only you can answer that. And any individual car, of course, can vary up or down from the norm for that make for a number of reasons. However, I will stick by my statement, that in my opinion, someone who is bound and determined to buy an upscale Euro nameplate is probably better off IN GENERAL, reliability-wise with an Audi or a Volvo (except for the unreliable XC-90) than with M-B or BMW. Consumer Reports more or less verifies that, too....they have fewer Audis on the non-recommended list, reliability-wise, than for either BMW or Mercedes. Audis also have other advantages, too....like the well-proven Quattro system.

Now...as far as the BMW 3-series goes...the regular 3-series cars are generally more reliable than the M3's.....especially the engines. M3's have had serious engine problems...perhaps from hard drivers just redlining them too much.

I also stick by another one of my statements....the 2005 Subaru Legacy / Outback, dollar-for-dollar, is a better buy than ANY of these Euro products.
Old 02-08-05, 06:37 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Gs L-tune: Certainly the E55 but not the G55.

G wagons are unforgiving on uneven city roads. Also, due to the shape of the vehicle, wind noise and glare are intrusive enough to be considered annoyances (maybe some Lexus-quiet bias on my part here, but worthwhile to mention nonetheless). Try one out on a sunny day - you'll see what I mean. The rugged boxy styling is appealing, but it does feel like you're driving a box from behind the wheel (as opposed to an X5 which feels like a tall sports car).

I have not driven a G with the AMG 5.5, only the standard G500. Perhaps teh G55 drives better, but the upgraded engine alone wouldn't be enough (for me at least) to overcome it's faults.

In the end, I guess it comes down to what qualities you value most. If comfort is high on your list, then maybe this isn't the right vehicle for you.

mjr24: I second your vote for the Range (sport edition).
Old 02-09-05, 12:19 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

No...they will have to keep a good warranty to keep sales up.
For one thing, take a look at the cost of M-B parts and service when it is NOT free or under warranty ....it is almost as bad as Porsche.

I know, i was just being sarcastic
Old 02-09-05, 03:15 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

I want a Range in the WORST way ... you guys have no idea.

The interior is dumpy - it's WAY overpriced - but NOBODY has one. I've seen maybe a dozen on the road in my entire driving/paying-attention-to-outside-the-car career.

The only thing I've seen less are the exotics.

Mmmmmm .....

Buttons everywhere.

M.

Last edited by whipimpin; 02-09-05 at 03:19 AM.
Old 02-09-05, 02:45 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

However, I will stick by my statement, that in my opinion, someone who is bound and determined to buy an upscale Euro nameplate is probably better off IN GENERAL, reliability-wise with an Audi or a Volvo (except for the unreliable XC-90) than with M-B or BMW.
I may have to respectfully disagree with that. My cousin, a good friend, and I all have Volvos (well cousin did till his was totaled recently) but we all have spent a good 3,000 or more in the last 2 years or so in unscheduled fixes. I ran into a volvo master tech at a gas station, and even he was telling me how problematic Volvo has become starting in the late 90's. The first year S60R's even had clunking noises in the highly sophisticated 4C suspension system that dealers couldnt' even fix; Volvo was just forced to make the adjustments in design for 2005. The XC-90 isn't the only one plagued by probs. So maybe MB and BMW's are indeed worse than Volvo is, but I'm telling you from personal experience...thats saying a lot.
Old 02-10-05, 12:15 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Have you guys seen the Top Gear clip of the G55?
Old 02-10-05, 03:37 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

you guys may just talk bad about the G-wagon's ride and stuff...but coming from a long term owner...i can attest that the thing drives GREAT on the freeway. The suspension is awesome, the driver's view is unbelievable. There's only glare if you have a dirty *** windshield. If you occassionally wipe the grime off the inside, there's no glare. I never had this "glare" problem that you guys have mentioned. In addition I've had that thing over 100 plenty of times. It drives great on the road, it drives even better off the road.

As for cost of parts and stuff...you're buying a PREMIUM german SUV that costs over $80K...you can expect parts to cost a lot. There's no way you can get an expensive german vehicle and expect to pay cheap on parts unless you get them used or from a junkyard.

Now if you came parts costs to a JETTA. That's ridiculous. The Jetta costs around $25K and the parts are just as expensive as an E-Class.
Old 02-19-05, 07:41 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

I would only trade up to a Vision CLS or an E55. I can't speak on the G wagon because I've never been in one. The ML is just a little too small for $50k....on the inside anyway.

Hey Whipimpin, haven't seen you around in a while But hey, how can say this is dumpy? This is HOT!! Nice and Sporty!

Last edited by TwentyTen; 02-19-05 at 07:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Should I give up my GS4 for G55 AMG?