Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Caddy DTS Official Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-05, 11:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Incendiary
People, the MY06 redesigned DTS will be FWD as it has been since the mid-80's. It'll be redesigned in 2010 at which point Cadillac will have to make a big decision as to their direction.

Personally, I feel they should keep the $50k-range FWD land barge old fogey cruiser for the American masses that like soft Cadillac rides. They are the ones that kept Cadillac alive and breathing for the last twenty years, and I don't see it right that they should be left behind now that Cadillac is reinventing itself. The company is big enough to sport many different images, including the "urban" crowd with the Escalade (which I think would make more sense as an ERX, considering they got rid of the Deville nameplate), the Florida senior citizen crowd with the Deville/DTS, and the BMW-chasing crowd with everything else. If they want to make a 7-series fighter, they should, but I don't think it'd be just or even financially prudent to leave such a large crowd to mass migrate to Lincoln Town Cars...

Here's an excellent article: http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=8103.

I agree, Caddy is not doing bad, appealing to tons of different people right now. Kudos to Caddy.
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Just like how you like your... oh nevermind.

Back on topic, I drove my in-laws many DeVilles (aka DTS) and they were nice and got better with each version (they got a new one every 3 years). Since my father-in-law died a year ago my mother downsized to a CTS (which she likes). The DTS will no doubt be a VERY comfortable ride and will still have a huge trunk good enough for four golf bags, which is why it is HUGELY popular in Florida golf areas like Naples.
lmao!!

Old 02-09-05, 12:00 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I agree, Caddy is not doing bad, appealing to tons of different people right now. Kudos to Caddy.
Caddy's appealing to a lot of people and covering many markets right now, but they're nowhere near the reach and spread of MB.

A C E S
CL CLK CLS
SL SLK SLR
M G
B R
AMG versions of almost every line
Sedans, coupes, cabriolets, roadsters, wagons, SUVs, MPVs (B and R), supercars.
FWD econocars, RWD luxury cars, AWD option for almost every model.

The only place they have left to expand to is the MLK, which has been proposed, and the luxury pick up truck.
Old 02-09-05, 07:46 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't really impress me.
Old 02-09-05, 07:56 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Richie
It doesn't really impress me.
Not even the interior? I'm pretty impressed with that. Big leap forward from the previous one.
Old 02-09-05, 07:58 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not even the interior? I'm pretty impressed with that. Big leap forward from the previous one.
I meant the car as a whole.
Old 02-09-05, 03:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Personally, I feel they should keep the $50k-range FWD land barge old fogey cruiser for the American masses that like soft Cadillac rides. They are the ones that kept Cadillac alive and breathing for the last twenty years, and I don't see it right that they should be left behind now that Cadillac is reinventing itself. The company is big enough to sport many different images, including the "urban" crowd with the Escalade (which I think would make more sense as an ERX, considering they got rid of the Deville nameplate), the Florida senior citizen crowd with the Deville/DTS, and the BMW-chasing crowd with everything else. If they want to make a 7-series fighter, they should, but I don't think it'd be just or even financially prudent to leave such a large crowd to mass migrate to Lincoln Town Cars...

Here's an excellent article: http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=8103.
You're beginning to sound like me.....this is what I have been saying for several years now.
Are you sure, though, that you are not confusing the FWD DeVille with the last of the "real" Cadillacs...the RWD Fleetwood? That car went out of production in 1996 (along with the sister Buick Roadmaster and Chevy Impala / Caprice ) when GM converted the Arlington, TX plant that built these cars to truck and SUV production.
The Fleetwood was the REALLY soft Cadillac....and that is long history now.
I agree with you 100% that the traditional Cadillac crowd is being ignored...and that is a shame.
You are correct that they are going to be forced into Town Cars.....until Lincoln starts ignoring them too. Problem is that today's younger sport-sedan crowd in another decade or so is going to start to want some of those big, soft cruisers....the very cars they laugh at now......and none will be available. Perhaps Lexus will keep the LS430 long enough to give them a choice here.
Old 02-09-05, 03:18 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Today's luxury cars (even modern Cadillacs and Lincolns), in my opinion, are no where near the comfortness and plushiness offered by the big and traditional American sedans.

Try to fit yourself in any Cadillc or Lincoln from 70s, 80s and even early 90s, and you'll see what I mean. Perhaps these older luxury cars did not have the sophistication of the newer computer assisted rides, performance and electronic gadgets found on newer luxury cars, but they do excel in the comfortness in all levels. Where else can you find yourself a car that rides like a huge, comfortable sofa with suspension so soft that not even pot holes can be felt in a long trip?

Perhaps not all of us desire such ride from cars nowadays. But once in a while I do crave for such experience when I am tired from work and when I care not to be the driver all the time.

mmarshall: The last Cadillac big boat from 1993-1996 you addressed is actually called the Fleetwood Brougham. I believed it was produced to replace the huge RWD Brougham (which was also known as DeVille/Fleetwood before the smaller, FWD models were introduced in the mid.80s) that had ceased to exist since 1992.

The real Fleetwood, which was considered a slightly more luxurious DeVille, had disappeared since the 1994 model year, when the bigger, rounder DeVille with dual airbags was introduced.

Jon

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You're beginning to sound like me.....this is what I have been saying for several years now.
Are you sure, though, that you are not confusing the FWD DeVille with the last of the "real" Cadillacs...the RWD Fleetwood? That car went out of production in 1996 (along with the sister Buick Roadmaster and Chevy Impala / Caprice ) when GM converted the Arlington, TX plant that built these cars to truck and SUV production.
The Fleetwood was the REALLY soft Cadillac....and that is long history now.
I agree with you 100% that the traditional Cadillac crowd is being ignored...and that is a shame.
You are correct that they are going to be forced into Town Cars.....until Lincoln starts ignoring them too. Problem is that today's younger sport-sedan crowd in another decade or so is going to start to want some of those big, soft cruisers....the very cars they laugh at now......and none will be available. Perhaps Lexus will keep the LS430 long enough to give them a choice here.
Old 03-09-05, 12:13 AM
LexFather

The DTS will be manufactured at GM’s award-winning Detroit Hamtramck assembly center and is expected to arrive in Cadillac showrooms in the fall of 2005. In addition to the U.S. and Canada, the DTS will be exported for sale in Mexico, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. Pricing will be announced closer to the launch.

Old 03-09-05, 08:02 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Interior looks quite good. An improvement for sure. The exterior looks barely updated, except that grille just doesn't look quite right...
Old 03-10-05, 05:35 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Interior looks quite good. An improvement for sure. The exterior looks barely updated, except that grille just doesn't look quite right...

I agree. Is the wheel-tire update mated to better/matching suspension? If not - that's just going to screw up the ride - a lot.

I'm warming to the big grill - but I wish Chrysler never would have started that nonsense.

M.
Old 03-11-05, 07:23 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Not a fan for the current Caddy front/rear styling. Minneapolis Auto Show starts this weekend, I'll go find out whether Caddy has attracted younger consumers with their new styling

Last edited by gs400998; 03-11-05 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-11-05, 07:25 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

I know damn well they're not having a DTS-V, so why the V series wheels?

James