Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top reason to keep your P-car in a garage

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-05 | 12:52 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
oh man that's harsh. i parked my gs4 outside my apt for a day before
My new 04 RX330 stayed outside for a few weeks while I cleaned out my garage. I keept my old 92 Acura in the available space in the garage. The Acura is my car while the Lexus is my wifes Seriously though, my Acura deserved the garage more

Last edited by CK6Speed; 02-11-05 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-11-05 | 02:00 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SexySC
Ouch People should not even be allowed to have a nice car if they can't afford a house with a garage

Old 02-11-05 | 02:14 PM
Koma
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
My new 04 RX330 say outside for a few weeks while I cleaned out my garage. I keept my old 92 Acura in the available space in the garage. The Acura is my car while the Lexus is my wifes Seriously though, my Acura deserved the garage more

TAKE IT BACK!!!
Old 02-11-05 | 02:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Ouch People should not even be allowed to have a nice car if they can't afford a house with a garage
Nonsense. A car can be damaged ANYWHERE. In fact, concrete garages can actually CAUSE damage, especially if they leak.....water dripping down picks up lime and calcium carbonate and can form a caustic solution that can damage the paint. Kids can key it while it is parked. Shopping carts can roll into it. Kids on bikes and skateboarding can damage it. Somebody can back into it. Kids toss things from the side of the road. Debris from trucks and kicked up from tires can damage it. And, of course, salt, sand, and abrasives on the road are notorious.The list is endless.
Yes, garages DO protect from ultraviolet sun damage, hail and tree branch damage from wind and ice storms, bird doppings, and and the annoying stuff that falls from trees...but so will a good car cover if you keep the paint clean and are careful taking it on and off so the paint won't scratch.
Old 02-11-05 | 03:16 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

I'm glad I don't have to deal with that kind of weather...
Old 02-11-05 | 03:26 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by WhiteTiger
LOL! I doubt that. There are more than a few other cold places in the states where that could happen and has happened.
True, but most likely this happened in NY. Why? Because the owner has a NY license plate. But like you said, it could have happened anywhere. The owner could have driven the car to Michigan and left it in the driveway when this happened.
Old 02-11-05 | 04:00 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DarchMage

TAKE IT BACK!!!
Okay, now my Acura and wifes RX is in the garage. My 93 SC400 stays outside
Old 02-11-05 | 04:24 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nonsense. A car can be damaged ANYWHERE. In fact, concrete garages can actually CAUSE damage, especially if they leak.....water dripping down picks up lime and calcium carbonate and can form a caustic solution that can damage the paint. Kids can key it while it is parked. Shopping carts can roll into it. Kids on bikes and skateboarding can damage it. Somebody can back into it. Kids toss things from the side of the road. Debris from trucks and kicked up from tires can damage it. And, of course, salt, sand, and abrasives on the road are notorious.The list is endless.
Yes, garages DO protect from ultraviolet sun damage, hail and tree branch damage from wind and ice storms, bird doppings, and and the annoying stuff that falls from trees...but so will a good car cover if you keep the paint clean and are careful taking it on and off so the paint won't scratch.
I think you already answer your post above for me in your own post, i.e. garaged cars are much better protected than a car kept in the open, everything else being equal; & a car cover does not offer enough protection for falling objects like, brick or like in this case ice when left in the open.
Anything can be damaged, nomatter what you protect it with if it's faulty , like leaking as you quoted in your post, regardless of whether it's the garage or a car cover, so I actually don't quite see the point of your post at all.
Old 02-11-05 | 04:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I I actually don't quite see the point of your post at all.
I was picking up on your comment that people should not be allowed to have nice cars if they cannot afford a garage to keep them in. First of all, it was difficult to tell if you were serious or just being facetious. Second of all, what's a "Nice" car? A brand-new Hyundai Accent in somebody's driveway can be just as "nice" and joyous occasion to a lower-income person who worked hard for that $10,000 to buy it as a doctor or lawyer who just spent $150,000 on a new Porsche Turbo. I have helped a lot of people buy a lot of cars....from Accents to Vipers.....and I can tell you that even a cheap car can be just as "nice" to a thankful person as a car that costs ten times as much...and damage can hurt just as much.
That's all I was saying.....yes, garages do protect from some things, but what good is that if the car is just damaged from something else? It's still the same hurt either way....cheap car or expensive car. depends on who owns it and how much they like the car.
I had an old worn-out Buick many years ago that I loved...in spite of the fact that was almost ready for the junkyard....and looked it.
Old 02-11-05 | 04:56 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I was picking up on your comment that people should not be allowed to have nice cars if they cannot afford a garage to keep them in. First of all, it was difficult to tell if you were serious or just being facetious. Second of all, what's a "Nice" car? A brand-new Hyundai Accent in somebody's driveway can be just as "nice" and joyous occasion to a lower-income person who worked hard for that $10,000 to buy it as a doctor or lawyer who just spent $150,000 on a new Porsche Turbo. I have helped a lot of people buy a lot of cars....from Accents to Vipers.....and I can tell you that even a cheap car can be just as "nice" to a thankful person as a car that costs ten times as much...and damage can hurt just as much.
That's all I was saying.....yes, garages do protect from some things, but what good is that if the car is just damaged from something else? It's still the same hurt either way....cheap car or expensive car. depends on who owns it and how much they like the car.
I had an old worn-out Buick many years ago that I loved...in spite of the fact that was almost ready for the junkyard....and looked it.
Didn't you see the smilie after my initial post ? & I thought it's quite obvious that "nice" in this thread means something like the P-car Porsche that OLT posted. Again, what I meant is everything else being equal, a garaged car should be better protected than one left in the open, which should be quite obvious to most, no ?

Last edited by Gojirra99; 02-11-05 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-11-05 | 05:14 PM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Where the NWS warning!!!!! That is very VIOLENT I've read through all the comments and the only thing I noticed is nobody even considered that maybe this wan't this guy's house??? Maybe he was visiting his grandparents and their horse and buggy get parked in the garage Just a thought.
Old 02-11-05 | 09:14 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Car:
2005 Porsche Carrera GT
Description:
This is the 3rd Carrera GT that we've seen wrecked so far. Very similar to the last accident where the car slid into a sidewalk.

I bet this one wishes it stayed in the garage too
Old 02-11-05 | 09:20 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Last edited by chuckb; 02-11-05 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-11-05 | 10:28 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

that made me bite my lower lip. ouch
Old 02-15-05 | 05:14 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chuckb
The active roll bars are working.

Quick Reply: Top reason to keep your P-car in a garage