Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

March R&T-The Best Overall Sports Car-9 Compared

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-05, 01:37 PM
LexFather

Default March R&T-The Best Overall Sports Car-9 Compared

9. Mercedes Benz SLK350 "Smooth powerband makes it quite impressive in coming out of corners"
8. Nissan 350Z 35th Anniversary "Negotiated certain parts of track efficiently, but wheezed through many of the others"
7. BMW Z4 3.0i "Overall, tossable and very predictable"
6. Dodge Viper SRT10 "not cheap, not cute, not slow, not for everyone"
5. Honda S2000 "best gearbox in the world"
4. Lotus Elise "the closest thing there is to nirvana on four wheels"
3. Porsche Carrera S Coupe ranked highest in terms of overall balance"
2. Porsche Boxster S "fastest through the slalom at an impressive 73.9 mph, even better than the enzo"
1. Covette Coupe "no real weaknesses and many strengths".

Old 02-14-05, 04:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I read that article several days ago, Mike................I read most of R&T every month.

One thing was VERY interesting in the rankings......if you noticed, 8 out of ten individual opinions in the sidebars picked the Boxster S as the car HE would actually want to take home and own.

Though, admittedly, I myself, unlike them, have not test-driven all 10, from the ones I HAVE driven and from what I otherwise know about them I would have ( just like my post said ) ranked the Corvette and the Porsche Carrera in a tie for first.
Old 02-14-05, 04:36 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess I can't crap on the Boxster anymore...I'm actually *kinda* warming up to it.
Old 02-14-05, 04:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by wantAnewLex
Guess I can't crap on the Boxster anymore...I'm actually *kinda* warming up to it.
If I buy a sports car some day and can't afford the 911 I'll look hard at a Boxster S. The revamped interior looks terrific, but what I really like is how it can be ordered EXACTLY how you want from a huge options list. While there's some features I would add, there are many I wouldn't and don't want to pay for them like I'm forced to on many brands/models. I think power seats for a sports car for example are ridiculous.
Old 02-14-05, 05:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

IMO, though, Porsche showed the height of arrogance when they first designed the Boxster in 1997....no way to access the engine from above. Apparantly they didn't want owners doing even simple things like oil changes....a situation that they have NOT remedied on the second-generation model either.

I know it can be argued that Porsche owners have money....therefore they can afford the service.....but STILL.....have you seen what a Porsche dealer oil change costs?
Old 02-14-05, 05:45 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
If I buy a sports car some day and can't afford the 911 I'll look hard at a Boxster S. The revamped interior looks terrific, but what I really like is how it can be ordered EXACTLY how you want from a huge options list. While there's some features I would add, there are many I wouldn't and don't want to pay for them like I'm forced to on many brands/models. I think power seats for a sports car for example are ridiculous.
So true. I'd go for cloth seats too. I'd probably go with the non-S Boxster myself, as I like the smaller motor. Plus, with a 5-speed, it's plenty quick.

EDIT: Just configured a standard Boxster to the tune of $62K. This includes, of course, the incredibly useless and unneccessary addition of over $7000 worth of wood trim. If I had the money, I'd buy it.

Last edited by SecPole14; 02-14-05 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-15-05, 04:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wantAnewLex
So true. I'd go for cloth seats too. I'd probably go with the non-S Boxster myself, as I like the smaller motor. Plus, with a 5-speed, it's plenty quick.

EDIT: Just configured a standard Boxster to the tune of $62K. This includes, of course, the incredibly useless and unneccessary addition of over $7000 worth of wood trim. If I had the money, I'd buy it.

Also keep in mind that the standard non-S Boxster is not only cheaper but lighter as well (less equipment) , which bodes well for agility, performance, and stopping distances even with a smaller engine and brakes. The difference between the two cars is really not that great especially considering the S's price.
I wouldn't necessarily say that wood trim is useless. Everyone's taste is different. Some people like it...some don't. I myself pretty much like wood and carbon-fiber about equally...I'm not a fan of aluminum trim. I'm 100% with you on the cloth seats, though.