Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Need recommendations on portable gps systems

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-05 | 05:24 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Default Need recommendations on portable gps systems

My Lexus doesn't have a navigation system, so I am looking to buy one of the portable systems. Locally, Best Buy has these available: Cobra Nav One, Garmin StreetPilot 2620, Lowrance iway 500c, Magellan RoadMate 700. Can anyone give comments based on use, both positive and negative? The Cobra got a bad review from PC Magazine and the Lowrance 500c is pretty new and has a built-in MP3 player (not important to me). On paper, the StreetPilot 2620 looks the most attractive to me (price, features), but I'm hoping you guys can help educate me so I can make a more informed decision. Thanks for the advice.

Mike
Old 02-20-05 | 11:39 AM
to-tall
Driver School Candidate

Default Gps

I have the Garmin 2620. Compared to the Nav in my ES330, I think it is easier to use and has more options. It has remote control or touch screen, portable or dash mount, all cities in US & parts of Canada already loaded, can set all options & destinations in house with furnished adapter. Free internet updates. Different languages. Since I have a new ES with Nav I am trying to sell the 2620. Has 1-1/2 years warrenty left.
Old 02-20-05 | 12:47 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

How about this?
Old 02-21-05 | 12:28 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Some of this depends on how you will use the unit. For best overall use I think the Garmin 2610 is the unit to have. It's cheaper and more versatile than the 2620.
If your driving is limited to a few states, the Garmin Quest is a good choice.
There's also a new unit coming out next month (http://www.garmin.com/products/sp320/) that is aimed directly at cars without NAV (most automotive units up to now are also designed to used on motorcycles and are waterproof)
You're going to have the best long term support with a Garmin unit.
Old 02-22-05 | 07:48 AM
MikeP
Advanced

I wound up buying a Lowrance iway 500c. It was delivered yesterday, so I have had little time to play with it. This is my first GPS system, so I don't have a lot of real-world experience to compare it to other brands. I bought it for its large screen (5" diag.) and ease of use. I didn't think I was going to use the built-in mp3 player, but after playing with it, I think I'm going to enjoy it. I downloaded some music tracts from my PC, so I'm going to try it out today. The speaker is built-in to the cigarette plug and doesn't give very good sound. The unit comes with wiring to hard wire it to an aux. jack in your car's stereo, but instead, I'm getting a cassette adapter that plugs into the headphone jack on the speaker so the sound from the unit will play through my car's stereo. So far, the only disappointment is the POI's seem to be a little lacking.

After I get more familiar with using it and its accuracy in routing, I'll give an updated report. Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

Mike
Old 02-22-05 | 09:12 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

I am going to go with a Pocket PC. Some of the GPS software includes the ability to track. Good for valet & dropping off the car for service.
Old 02-23-05 | 12:04 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

do any of these talk?
Old 02-23-05 | 12:44 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

My mom just got one called a Tom Tom Go (I posted a thread about it somewhere) that got really good reviews (including the PC Magazine one you referenced).

http://www.tomtom.com/

I haven't had a chance to play with it yet to compare to OEM or aftermarket, but looks pretty cool. It does talk.
Old 02-23-05 | 06:14 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Originally Posted by siniquezu
do any of these talk?
Not sure about the other brands, but the iway 500c I just bought has verbal instructions. The "voice" even gives the names if the roads to turn on (only when the names of the roads are numeric, I-10, 21st St., etc.) and in which direction.

Mike
Old 02-23-05 | 11:09 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

what was the price??
Old 02-24-05 | 05:37 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Originally Posted by silversprucesc3
what was the price??
It cost $772.90 including shipping from:

http://www.digitallyunique.com/

I've only had it for a few days, so I can't give an in-depth evaluation. I've done a few routes in town and it seems to recalculate pretty quickly when I don't follow the suggested route. It comes with 2 mounts, a suction cup mount for the windshield and a base mount that has 3 flat rubber legs that can be moulded to fit the dashboard or any other surface. It also comes with a remote antenna that can be mounted by magnet, adhesive or suction cups. I tried the base mount on the top of the dash and it works great. It doesn't slide or move at all. I decided to set it up on the console on the side of the shifter in my LS430. Works very well using the remote antenna, I stick the antenna to the underside of the sunroof with the suction cups. I also bought a casette adapter that plugs into the headphone jack on the iway and the casette end goes into the car's stereo. The unit plays the mp3 music and verbal routing instructions through the car's audio system. When the unit is playing music, it is muted when the instructions are given. The music sound quality is good, at least to my ears.

Right after I got the iway, I had to update the latest software and POI's. It connects to a PC via a USB connector, wich you also use to download the mp3 tracts. The updated software provides a 3D view, input of intersections and a few other additions. In all, with the 5" screen, I think it is reasonable competition to the units from Garmin and Magellen. It's worth consideration if you are in the market for a portable GPS unit and if you also want an mp3 player, I don't think it has any competition.

Mike

( I have no affiliation with Digitally Unique or Lowrance )
Old 02-24-05 | 08:20 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by siniquezu
do any of these talk?
All of the ones from Garmin from the Quest ($470) on up talk.
Old 02-24-05 | 03:21 PM
RayGS3
Lexus Test Driver

It really depends on what you want

gps on pda?
gps on laptop?
"all in one" gps unit.

check www.gpspassion.com for more info. I'm doing research right now. My plan will be

Dell x50v ppc
leadtek 9537 x2 or Holux GR-231 GPS receiver
TomTom 2004 software or iGuidance v.2

Any suggestion?
Old 02-24-05 | 03:26 PM
RayGS3
Lexus Test Driver

The tomtom Go unit is having a $50 mail-in rebate. So you might able to find it around $550 shipped. Not bad at all
Old 02-24-05 | 03:29 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RayGS3
It really depends on what you want

gps on pda?
gps on laptop?
"all in one" gps unit.

check www.gpspassion.com for more info. I'm doing research right now. My plan will be

Dell x50v ppc
leadtek 9537 x2 or Holux GR-231 GPS receiver
TomTom 2004 software or iGuidance v.2

Any suggestion?
A little off topic but why did you choose the Dell instead of the Ipaq? Do the GPS systems work better with the dells?

Quick Reply: Need recommendations on portable gps systems