Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Isuzu dead? Or dying? Or about to die? Would anyone care?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-05, 05:39 PM
LexFather

Default Is Isuzu dead? Or dying? Or about to die? Would anyone care?

http://www.isuzu.com/index.jsp

I just went to their website and they may offer they worst lineup.
1. The Axiom, which no one can say, nor cares about.
2. The Rodeo, for goodness sakes, Honda used to rebadge these as Pilots, now their Pilot is one of the leaders in the class.
3. Ascender, which is a rebadged Chevy Trailblazer.

MMarshall mentioned many times that he thinks they are done. And I never realized until I looked over to the site. Hell, when is the last time you saw a new Isuzu? Hell an old one? I had no idea the Trooper was dead or the Vehicross.

What a sad company. All they made was SUVs and Trucks. How the hell can that market grow so much and now is selling more than cars and you just get WORSE with your product???? Its a damn shame, they took a page out GMs old book.

I don't even think a revival is neccessary, the SUV market is now so saturated, I can't see them offering anything to take buyers away.

So sad. C-ya.

Old 02-16-05, 05:41 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Like the singer Monica, " SOOOOOOoooooOOOOO GONE!!"
Old 02-16-05, 05:58 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They tried recently to squeeze in above kia but below honda, and frankly, failed miserably.

In all seriousness, I dont think anyone will notice. Oldsmobile was BY FAR more of a loss.
Old 02-16-05, 06:06 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,377 Posts

----------------------------------
- "Hiiii, would anyone like
- to buy Isuzu? I mean
- an Isuzu?"
----------------------------------
-
-
-
-
Old 02-16-05, 06:28 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Seriously though, they must be doing something right. Why?? They are still here. Maybe its because GM is still pumping a lot of money into the failing brand. And dont they have a pickup truck coming out based off of a GM truck, or am I thinking of another brand(Mitsu maybe??) Somebody has to buying these trucks up. I dont know who cause I dont remember the last time I ever saw a new Isuzu. Or maybe that the trucks are turning in some sort of good profit from the little cars that they are selling?? I dont know, I'm just thinking real loud.

The Axiom I think had a pretty good run which lasted for about a year.
The Vehicross was extremely wierd looking and damn expensive I think around 30K(Something Toyota has to watchout for with the FJ being a 2door truck with extremely subjective looks, however the positive side to this is that its 10K cheaper and actually has some history and a big following now)
The Rodeo hasnt been changed for years. If I'm not mistaken it came out in 1996. About the same year the old 4Runner and PAthfinder came out and they got redesigned last year and this year.
The Ascender, I thought would have sold a little bit better. But I guess not. I guess many people dont even know about the truck.(Hopefully they wont have a problem with the Trailblazer Saab9-7x. I actually really like this remake, looks cool)

I always thought that the Trooper was cool becuase it had wipers on the headlights, but I was like in middle school then, and didnt know any better. I also liked the boxy shape. Oh well.

I really dont konw what to say about this brand. I dont think much can be done to really save it. They had their chance and totally blew it. Maybe some sort of retro looking truck, a crossover type of thing thats AWD that is extremely popular in Europe, Japan, a Baja type of truck. I dont think you can ever oversaturate the crossover market. There are so any different ways of making them unique.

Whats funny is that Mitsubishi which I think has a stronger lineup than Isuzu still managed to file for bancruptcy before them. Go figure.
Old 02-16-05, 06:35 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
2. The Rodeo, for goodness sakes, Honda used to rebadge these as Pilots, now their Pilot is one of the leaders in the class.
I never knew this. I always thought they were called Honda Passport.
Old 02-16-05, 06:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Cadd
I never knew this. I always thought they were called Honda Passport.
Damn your right. I meant passport. Good looking.

So GM owns Isuzu? I did not know that.

Old 02-16-05, 07:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I just went to their website and they may offer they worst lineup.
1. The Axiom, which no one can say, nor cares about.
3. Ascender, which is a rebadged Chevy Trailblazer.

MMarshall mentioned many times that he thinks they are done. And I never realized until I looked over to the site. Hell, when is the last time you saw a new Isuzu? Hell an old one? I had no idea the Trooper was dead or the Vehicross.

So sad. C-ya.
Done? Not quite.....but close I DO think they will fold in the American market before either Mitsubishi or Lincoln-Mercury.
The Axiom and Rodeo are both gone now. Only the Ascender is left in the American market.....a rebadged Chevy TrailBlazer that is not even an Isuzu design to start with. However, it DOES have some merit as a purchase, even with the TrailBlazer's poor reliability record....much worse than the Trooper it replaced. And the Trooper and sibling Acura SLX had their repuations damaged by the 1995 Consumer Reports tip-over test which accounted for dwindling sales.

But the Ascender does make some sense as a off-road capable SUV purchase, though. It has a lower price and a better warranty than than either the Trailblazer or its other variants....the GMC Envoy, Buick Rainier, or Saab 9-7X. (Yes...even Saab has a version of this vehicle).
Anybody I know who is interested in these mid-sized GM-design SUV's....first thing I usually do is steer them down to the Isuzu shop to look at the Ascender with the recommendation that it is a better value. They usually end up agreeing. And if Isuzu DOES fold here in the U.S......a real possibility.......it can be serviced at any Chevy, GMC, or Buick shop....and maybe Saab.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-16-05 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-16-05, 07:48 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Damn your right. I meant passport. Good looking.

So GM owns Isuzu? I did not know that.
Honestly I'm not exactly sure if its a full ownership or not.Could br a partnership. Someone here will know. I just found out that they are making an Isuzu pick up based off of the Colorado/Canyon. And I also found out that the Canyon/Colorado are Isuzu trucks, or made by Isuzu, or partly made by Iszuzu. Wasnt quite clear, but Isuzu had a big part in designing the two trucks.. The engine is GM. Interesting I must say.
Old 02-16-05, 08:11 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

ISUZUs are not that bad. they are still alive in some asia contry. my dad has 2 ISUZU double cab trucks in my country and they have 3.0 direct injection diesel turbo engine. pretty decent off roading cars.
Old 02-17-05, 08:45 AM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are still around prob because they sell a LOT of trucks, not so much in america as in other parts of the world.. yet you can still see a bunch of delivery trucks around here from them <that chevrolet NPR is an isuzu as well> back in my country, most "chevys" sold there were/are rebadged suzukis and isuzus.. check this website, you dont have to know spanish, just click on the pickup or car pictures and you will see,.. half of those cars and ALL of the trucks, pickup trucks are isuzu http://www.chevrolet.com.co/action/home
Old 02-17-05, 09:03 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Joe Isuzu...where are you? LOL
Old 02-17-05, 09:04 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

2. The Rodeo, for goodness sakes, Honda used to rebadge these as Pilots, now their Pilot is
Passport not Pilot!
Old 02-17-05, 01:26 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Trooper and sibling Acura SLX had their repuations damaged by the 1995 Consumer Reports tip-over test which accounted for dwindling sales.
There is truth to that test. My close friend had one of these in 2000. Black, beautiful truck. He bought it because he loved the previous version that he owned -- you know, those big ugly box ones that look like 80's xB's?

Anyway he rolled it after having it for a few weeks. Afterward he bought an Explorer for dirt cheap because that was the Firestone blowout era... He admits it was the biggest mistake of his life.

I tried to warn him.
Old 02-17-05, 06:31 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

My first vehicle from the folks was an '89 Isuzu pickup. IT SUCKED!

Quick Reply: Is Isuzu dead? Or dying? Or about to die? Would anyone care?