Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

States or cities without emissions testing laws

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-05, 05:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

One thing that is VERY important in emissions testing. Any of you guys that have All-Wheel-Drive vehicles......MAKE SURE that the shop you go to uses ONLY the tailpipe probe.
DO NOT put an AWD vehicle on the rollers, especially where only one set of wheels is being spun.....it will damage the center differential.
Most reputable emissions stations....especially those that are State or EPA-certified, will, of course, know this, but there ARE bozos out there who do this kind of work with their heads up their a - -es.
Old 02-18-05, 10:47 AM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
In some parts of Cali like LA and the Bay, smog checks are required, but in areas like Humboldt County, no smog check is needed unless the car changes hands.
That doesn't sound right. It's STATE emissions so it should apply to the whole state.
Old 02-18-05, 12:12 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
There is no emmisions tested at all here in Hawaii.
Don't you think there should be? Some cars on these roads should be ashamed of themselves!?!
Old 02-18-05, 12:44 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied
Don't you think there should be? Some cars on these roads should be ashamed of themselves!?!
I don't know. I think many states have emmisions testing because of smog prblems. Since we have so much trade winds you will never see any smog aside from the volcano Our pollution will just blow away to the mainland Personally, I don't think it will happen anytime soon. For starters, someone is going to have to buy the dyno testing equipement. Our state has no money and if they try and force the safety inspection stations to buy it themselvs they will have a fit. Remember when they were forced to by the tint meters back around 92? The cost was only a few hundred and they were against it.
Old 02-18-05, 04:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I Our state has no money and if they try and force the safety inspection stations to buy it themselvs they will have a fit. Remember when they were forced to by the tint meters back around 92? The cost was only a few hundred and they were against it.
No money? Sorry, but that's a tough one to swallow. Like Florida, Hawaii gets millions of cold-weary Northern tourists that come done there and spend LOTS of money in LOTS of places.
Old 02-18-05, 05:10 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
There is nothing like that in FL
I never had to do anykind of testing here
me neither-NEVER an inspection or emission test
Old 02-18-05, 05:13 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No money? Sorry, but that's a tough one to swallow. Like Florida, Hawaii gets millions of cold-weary Northern tourists that come done there and spend LOTS of money in LOTS of places.
Maybe I should say they don't allocate their money wisely While not as bad a California, we have been in a budget crissis and shortfall for years now. Of course each legislative party blames the other side, but nobody actually finds any solution. Let's put it this way, if our City and State has no money to even fix our pot holes, fix our public schools which some had ceilings fall on students, close down for a while because of asbestos, broken windoes and doors that don't get replaced for years, bathrooms where half the toilets don't work, parks where maintenence is years or at least months behind, that means we don't have money. City and State workers pay raises such as those for public school teachers, Fire and Police that have been approved years ago still have not been paid out. Obviously it cost the city and state more money since they are often sued for not paying out the contract. Sure, all the tourist places look good, but that's about it.

When it comes to tourist spending money it is true. But often a lot of that money goes back to the mainland since most of the business is mainland owned. Sure, they pay the general excise tax on the product or service bought, but the owners are not putting the bulk of that money back into the state but rather funneling it back to the mainland. Anyway, since I know a lot of people working at the City and State in the City Council and Legislature, I still stand by my statement that if emmisions testing were proposed, it will have a hard time passing.

PS, Let me ammend my statement. If the state could be convinced they could generate revenue to go into the general fund from emmisions testing then they would consider it. I still say the inspection stations will have a fit if proposed though.
Old 02-18-05, 05:19 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 349 Likes on 225 Posts

TN doesn't, but is passing a law as we speak.
Old 02-19-05, 09:49 AM
jaydunn
Pole Position

No testing here in Louisville. We had it for 15 years but so few cars failed it was abolished last year.
Old 02-19-05, 11:08 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Remember when they were forced to by the tint meters back around 92? The cost was only a few hundred and they were against it.
Aaahh, yes... I remember.

All the money went into H3!
Old 02-19-05, 06:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe I should say they don't allocate their money wisely .
Yeah..I'll agree with you there. Income doesn't always mean it is spent wisely. The District of Columbia.....just a couple of miles from me.... is one of the prime examples of inefficient government.

O.L.T., just what kind of emissions law is TN passing? The reason I ask is that emissions laws are usually determined by the EPA, except for a couple of organizations like CARB (California Air Resources Board) that have even MORE stringent rules.
That is why in some states (VA here is an example) you have testing in some counties and not in others...it is EPA-mandated in some areas, usually around large cities.